Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alison_shelley

Small bathroom remodel layout ideas?

Alison Shelley
5 years ago

Hello, I have a very small bathroom that I would like to remodel. Currently there is a linen closet that pushes into the room, but we're hoping to eliminate that closet, push the wall back out, and have room for a shower, toilet and sink. The final dimensions when the linen closet is removed will be just 60" x 81". Does anyone have a layout mocked up for a bathroom that small? Door swings out into the bedroom, but the doorway is on a 60" wall and is 24" wide. With the frame and offset taken into account, the doorway takes up 33" of space on the one wall.

Thanks in advance! I'm having a hard time picturing this!

Comments (6)

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago

is the finished layout more or less like a box just like this? are you the only one using the bathroom?(to see if we can do anything with privacy) Would you be open to having a sink just outside the bathroom if it makes sense with the other room? i can create a very quick basic sketch,

• Alison Shelley
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    yes, that would be the basic layout. it's a master bath so a sink outside wouldn't work, it would be in the bedroom.
  • PRO
    User
    5 years ago
    It seems the bath may be to small to fit a comfortable shower , normal min requirements are usually 30x30 ( check with your local codes as it may be different ) but that is an extremely small shower , it’s kinda like a stall. Barely any room to move. A more comfortable shower would be the 34x60 taking up the wall but the bath area needs more room for a counter and sink. If there is any room in a budget and if it makes sense then my recommendation would be to extend the bathroom into the bedroom to allow more room and have yourself a more comfortable bathroom only if it makes sense and won’t ruin the layout of the bedroom. Please check with your local city hall building and safety and make sure to hire the right pros to do the job
  • Nancy in Mich
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

You can do the tub/shower if you do a bit of a pony wall so that you have a corner in which to put a tiny sink and med cab on the right side of the shower.

Hampton 27" Corner Bathroom Vanity With Medicine Cabinet, Gray · More Info
    This set on Houzz is $650 and includes the corner cabinet with mirror. The vanity needs only 18.5" of wall on each side. I wonder if you could squeeze in a skinny wall in front of the last 20" of the tub in order to put this in front of it? Or would it be kosher to back it up to a glass tub enclosure? Or could you glass-block in the last half or third of the tub and back up to the glass block? Here are the smaller wall hung corner sinks available at Houzz.

If not, you CAN squeeze a tiny wall-hung sink right next to the end of the tub, on the right. Hang a mirror or small recessed med cab above it, and put some recessed cabinets into the wall across from the toilet for toiletries. Just remember you must have 24" in front of the toilet free of anything else. That "in front of the toilet" zone includes the entire width of the toilet zone, which starts at the center of the toilet and extends 15" to the left and to the right. So your sink cannot be in the area that a 2 ft long box, 30" wide sitting in front of your toilet would occupy. Neither can recessed wall cabinets. That imaginary 24 x 30 box goes to the ceiling I believe.
    A few of the small wall sinks available

• Alison Shelley
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    yeah, I think making sure the spacing is to code will be the trickiest bit! thanks for another way to imagine the space