Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jillian_jean

help me pick from paint samples! dining room, living room, master

Jillian Jean
5 years ago
Looking for help for a neutral for our rooms! The original green/teal is the dining room. The yellow room is two walls in the living room. Purple is the master bedroom.

These are at dusk with a little artificial light.

Top: agreeable gray, repose gray, mindful gray
Bottom: world gray, light French gray, colonnade gray

If we pick a neutral for the living room I’d be happy to go with a coordinating color in the dining room!

Comments (8)

• sloyder
    5 years ago

repose gray

• threers
    5 years ago

Please take the advise of apple_pie...if you cannot decide on which shade looks best, we certainly cannot decide by looking at the colors through our computers. If you have upholstery or drapes or a bedspread or quilt find a color from those and use it on the walls.

• K R
    5 years ago
    Highly suggest priming an entire wall and painting large searches of these paints. I did this with 10 different paint colors, and ended up with a different one all together that wasn’t on my original list.
  • Boxerpal
    5 years ago

Jillian,

You have a lovely home. Apple-pie gave great advice. I think with those beautiful warm wood floors you might need a more neutral gray or greige paint.

If you want me to choose one of your grays. I will have to say Repose Gray because it has a hint of warm beige in it that might work better with your floors. BUT.....that gray can look purple. I like the idea that Sara S had about priming a wall and choosing the right color rather than go over the colors you have. It is hard to see a colors undertones with teal or purple or yellow or really any color that might take away from the gray shade you are searching for. I know you will find the right gray.

Those beautiful wood floors deserve a gray that will bring out the beauty. Visit a few blogs that talk about gray paints and how to choose them.

Repose Gray Blog

Warm orange floors and gray paint (blog)

Fabulous warm gray paint colors

And then find out how much light you have (natural or not) and think about the directions your rooms face. I am sure you will find the perfect color. I am looking at Balboa Mist and Shale for my own space. Shale is a little darker but I think it will work with my dark chocolate floors where Balboa works even better with warm golden floors.

~boxer

• salonva
    5 years ago

It;s very true that painting the samples as you did on the very colorful walls will not really give an accurate image of what it would look like otherwise. It is very distorted due to the background colors on the wall. Agree with the others that you need to either prime a wall in each room or paint large posterboards of each color (but again, laying it on deep purple or teal will not be too helpful).

It's clear that you want to go less color intense so in that regard almost any of the samples you have would work .

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

I agree a whole wall needs to be primed and then large boards need to be painted with 2 colors only and there is no way that can be decided from people looking on their monitors and with no idea of your furniture. In fact I would prime the wholwe house first then work on paint choice to keep all those colors from affecting anything.

• Judy Mishkin
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

prime... and then do the samples across a corner. its easier to tell the color of even a small spot when its facing itself.

even works pretty well with duplicate paint strips.