Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cheweybear

Wall paint color for oak cabinets and oak floor

cheweybear
5 years ago

A few years back I painted my kitchen green Now I feel like it is too dark and makes the oak cabinets stand out. Looking for a softer tone to match the countertops and island. I love my oak cabinets so I don't want to paint them. I also added the hardware to them last year. Any ideas for colors and window treatments as well? Thanks!!!

Comments (33)

• cheweybear
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I was thinking Creamy Mushroom by Behr.

• chloebud
    5 years ago

I agree the current color makes the cabinets pop. A warm white or cream would work. Think about minimizing what's above the cabinets, too. Less is more. Can you post a better pic of the window?

• ilikefriday
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

cheweybear thanked ilikefriday
  • Boxerpal
    5 years ago

Cheweybear I like your kitchen, and there are some great suggestions. What about a blue color?

This one is not a kitchen but the golden oak color looks so pretty with a bright blue

Квартира в Люберцах. Съемка для компании Мастер · More Info

A blue color with a hint of green gray very pretty

Some blue paints that I think look pretty with honey oak..

Pleasant Valley by Benjamin Moore

Oyster Bay by Sherwin Williams

Cumberland Fog by Behr

Urban Mist by Behr

• jhmarie
    5 years ago

I have a "wood kitchens" idea book which includes cabinets with your wood tone - you might want to look at it for ideas. It is always hard to tell from a picture, but I don't see a lot of grain in your cabinets - it is possible they are maple.

https://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/75202366/list/wood-kitchens

Get sample jars of possible paint colors and paint large pieces of foam board. Look at them in different lighting and at different times of the day. You may need to prime the walls to cover the dark green. You could do that first to neutralize the effect and go back to a blank slate. The present green may reflect onto your paint samples.

• grapefruit1_ar
    5 years ago

What color are your countertops?

• nosoccermom
    5 years ago

Creamy white.

• Nothing Left to Say
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Take a look at the suggestions in the blog linked below (pictures from that link) and see if anything seems like it’s worth sampling.

http://www.true-design-house.com/blog/2016/3/14/bestpaint-with-honey-oak

• cheweybear
    Original Author
    5 years ago

You are right they do not have much grain so maybe they are maple. I didn't build the house so I wasn't sure

@ilikefriday thanks for those pics. I kind of like the beige grasscloth and not liking the creamy mushroom at all. I have the creamy mushroom in the dining room with burgundy and works great in there but maybe not in the kitchen.

@boxerpal, not a huge blue fan for a kitchen but maybe I should look into it more. I like the oyster bay. I have a hallway of the kitchen that is the same dark green and want to lighten also. I have seen some gorgeous navy multi-color runners lately too.

Loading pics for countertop and window and a few.

Thank you everyone so far, I love all the ideas and advice!

• cheweybear
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here are

the window and countertop

• cheweybear
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I really love the sun coming through this window so I don't want to cover it. I do love the look of colorful roman shades though. Can't wait for more suggestions :)

• mickeee
    5 years ago
    I saw this pic on Maria Killam’s website. The designer is Barry Dixon. I think this color would look great with your cabinets.
  • mickeee
    5 years ago
    Oops, now that I see your countertops, I don’t think the blue above would work.
  • chloebud
    5 years ago

I think a Roman shade would be nice for the window. I also think it would be fine with nothing at all. I think a cream or off white would look great on your walls, especially now that I see your counters. Your cabinets do look more like maple.

Are you wanting to emphasize or subdue the color of the cabinets? Blues and greens can emphasize. This link might help whether your cabinets are oak or maple.

https://www.kylieminteriors.ca/the-best-paint-colours-to-go-with-oak-wood/

• Boxerpal
    5 years ago

@Cheweybear, I think Navy runners might be great especially with those counters. And now that I see the counters I say something in the beige or greige might be a much better fit.

And most of the colors above would look stunning with a navy runner.

: )

• Jules
    5 years ago

I had light oak cabinets and painted my walls a light green, but for the life of me can't remember the name - it was a Benjamin Moore with the word "fern" in it. It looked perfect.

• jhmarie
    5 years ago

I made a simple "faux" roman shade for my window - pics in my "my pics" idea book. It was simple to make. I also like the softer look of a "tie up" shade. I did a faux roman shade because privacy isn't an issue from me and it does not cover a lot of the window.

• PRO
    Michelle Yorke Interior Design LLC
    5 years ago

A sage green, light blue, or even a grey might work for you. Take a look at our project below for some design inspiration.

Cascade Mountain Home · More Info

Cascade Mountain Home · More Info

• cheweybear
    Original Author
    5 years ago

My hallway is the same awful green and we just went over it in white primer and I already love it so we are going over the green in the kitchen with white now. So I think I am leaning towards a white with a light blue or gray hue. Any suggestions? I would like the hallway and kitchen to match.

• cheweybear
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here is the canvas I am going to hang in the hall.

• Boxerpal
    5 years ago

Love the blue in your space. Do you think it will fight your countertops? Definitely stick to something in the cool gray blue color..

These are blues I love and maybe you will like them too. Of course hold them up to the painting so you can really bring those colors.

Glass slipper (A cool fresh blue ) check that it doesn't fight with your counter

Boxer's kitchen choices 2018 · More Info

Boothbay Gray might be a good choice

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    5 years ago

Here us your Kitchen with Creamy mushroom

• PRO
    5 years ago

Here is with light gray

• PRO
  • PRO
    5 years ago

As for me I like darker gray

• lindastein
    5 years ago

following

• cheweybear
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I have hung the canvas up. Do you think it needs anything? I know everyone says less is more :)

• chocolatebunny123
    5 years ago

I wouldn't add anything else in the hallway. You have the canvas and the rug. Since it's a narrow space, it doesn't need anything else.

I'm a bit confused as to why the door in the kitchen is grey. Since it's so close to the other white door, do you plan on painting it white too? Do you also plan on painting the eating area the same color? I think it would look more cohesive if they were all the same.

• PRO
    Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
    5 years ago

Something along this line may be lighter and still has green tones for color.

Lake Tech House · More Info

• cheweybear
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The door by the hallway is white so it could just be the picture. I plan on doing the kitchen the same. i started with the hall since it is a smaller space to do to make sure we like it. Right now, I love it!!!!

• woodteam5
    5 years ago

My daughter also has beautiful oak cabinets. She just painted her kitchen Cantaloupe (Behr paint, sorry don't know the name) and it really warmed the cabinets and it all melded beautifully. It is bright, warm and she gets many complements.

• cheweybear
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oh the pantry door in the kitchen is gray. I did that to match the appliances because it was way too white with the green kitchen. Once the kitchen is white I will see how that looks. Here is the pantry door in the pic with the hallway

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert