Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmcfvan16

looking for Carnivorous plant

dmcfvan16
5 years ago

I do not have much to trade because i lost all my plants when we moved.i need one of these plant to help control gnats.i will pay it forward to anyone the helps me when i get back on my feet with plants.

Comments (11)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    5 years ago

The best way to control gnats is not to get them in the first place. If you avoid overwatering and shun peaty mixes they shouldn't ever be an issue. Perversely these are just the conditions that carnivorous plants like. These things are not cheap and I'm not sure people will be giving them away. Plus they're not the easiest to care for. Do you know which species you're looking for?

• Dave
    5 years ago

Agreed.

correct soil and watering habits will prevent gnats.

• dmcfvan16
    Original Author
    5 years ago

i have done this . i changed and used three different soils and changed my watering habits but that did not help.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    5 years ago

At the risk of being irritating, I have to say I've never had fungus gnats in any of my houseplants either. They just can't exist outside the conditions they need. If those conditions are denied they're not an issue. I confess that I don't even use 5.1.1, just a commercial all purpose mix out of a bag. But still never a gnat. It's got to be a watering issue. And I agree that a few carnivorous plants won't solve an infestation.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

Ditto here. Fungus gnats are a water management problem - you are watering too frequently or your potting mix is excessively moisture retentive.

The next time watering is necessary, water with a dilute solution of hydrogen peroxide (1 part 3% HP to 4 parts water). This will kill any gnat larvae in the soil. Then top your container with a thin layer of coarse sand - just enough to cover the soil. This will prevent the adult gnats from laying eggs. Adults only live for a few days...it is really the larvae and pupa you want to stop ASAP and the HP will accomplish that.

Personally, I would just repot with fresh soil and cut back on your watering until the soil is dry to the touch for the first couple of inches.

Fungus gnats lay around 200 eggs at a pop and produce multiple generations in a pretty short time frame. You would need an entire forest of carnivorous plants to keep up with a healthy population!!

• somegu7
    5 years ago

Use HP as above. In addition place a dish with water little vinegar and dish soap, gnats will drown in it.

• Yessen Bulumbayev
    5 years ago

You can use Mexican Butterworts (Pinguicula) they are carnivorous, works like sticky tape for gnats. Or there is easier method, just put some vinegar mixed with water (2:1) in a shallow cup, they all will drown in that solution.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    5 years ago

Buy
    a package of "Mosquito dunks" at the garden center. Put one
    quarter of one in your watering can. This will kill the larvae in the
    soil and stop future generations. It is all natural and safe. Use
    sticky traps and manually kill the adults.

• Dave
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

But more importantly change your watering habits and/or soil.

Not to be annoying, but you have to fix the cause of the problem not just mask it.

• dmcfvan16
    Original Author
    5 years ago

ok

Sponsored