Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
romo33

Adding Kitchen Cabinets to Existing Kitchen Cabinets

ro mo
5 years ago

Hi,

I am adding cabinets to an existing kitchen and we ordered natural maple to match the existing set. I am in a bit of a conundrum in regards to the countertop. The existing cabinets have a green spider/green serpentine top that does not mesh with the rest of our home design. I will eventually rent this unit out in a couple of years and I'm trying to keep the remodel budget down, so I'd like to avoid replacing the green countertop if I can.

If I did a carerra linear backsplash behind the existing cabinets and install carerra like quartz on the new cabinets, would it tie the kitchen together at all? Will it look bad with two different countertops no matter what? I may have to bite the bullet and replace the existing top.

Pictures below show where new cabinets will go and existing cabinets.

Comments (14)

• felizlady
    5 years ago
    I would be concerned about having a cooktop immediately next to a combustible wall. You definitely need some more cabinets in this small kitchen, and matching the originals is smart, but the splotchy green counters will not live peacefully with carrara in any form. As a renter, it would turn me off. A quality laminate would be preferable to that combination.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I will warn you the maples will not match either so maybe make the new cabinets white with a maple counter and before doing one more thing get a counter depth fridge. A simple white subway tile with that green counter will be best .I agree the peninsula doesnot work in your space.

• ro mo
    Original Author
    5 years ago

My drawing wasn't very accurate - there will be plenty of space between the fridge and the new cabinets - we drew out the size we ordered with tape on the ground before committing.

I appreciate the feedback on the countertop and backsplash options.

• thinkdesignlive
    5 years ago
    I agree that trying to match the maple will also be an issue. I also see a counter depth fridge and black cabinets with a maple butcher block top.
  • Judy Mishkin
    5 years ago

it may sound dumb, but.... make sure before you install cabinets across from your fridge that there is room to roll your fridge out all the way to say, replace it. like really all the way.

• ro mo
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ninigret - good idea! Just checked - we're good.

• btydrvn
    5 years ago
    I would take the easy option and match the counters...with the chance that the cabinets may not match perfectly...and the challenge of coordinating backsplashes..and your future plans for the home....keeping it simple ...not trying something that everyone may not understand...seems to be the best choice
  • ro mo
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here’s a better representation of where the cabinets will sit.

• calidesign
    5 years ago

Use white quartz, which will coordinate with the black/white that you have while keeping it simple.

• thinkdesignlive
    5 years ago
    Well if you can't return the maple cabinets you've ordered then a consistent counter top would be best. If you can return the maple cabinets why not keep remodel costs way down and just do a maple butcher block floating ledge or counter with simple black leg supports all along that wall...a place for a couple of stools and extra prep space and will go well with existing finishes without tearing anything out
    Central London Apartment · More Info
  • Lyndee Lee
    5 years ago
    I would recommend a matching countertop everywhere so color differences between the cabinets won't be as noticeable. If the cabinets don't look like a close enough match, consider using glass doors on the tops of the new cabinets.
  • katinparadise
    5 years ago

I agree that you're better off matching all the counter tops.

• crcollins1_gw
    5 years ago

Are the new cabinets the same manufacturer/finish as the existing? We extended cherry cabinets in our previous kitchen and they matched well enough that no one would ever guess they were added several years later, and they were right next to the old ones.

I would do a light colored counter top in a standard material and pattern with the intention to replace the perimeter counters with the same in the future.

• Michele Hardenson
    5 years ago

Are those shaker cabinets? if I were you, I wouldn't try to match the maples, like many others have said. I had a similar situation and wound up getting a much darker cabinet with the same countertop, it actually looks great! I ordered walnut cabinets online (my cabinets were a lighter alder).