Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_529290410

How far should curtain rod extend past window against the wall?

Johnny
5 years ago

The wall on the right side of the window is about 18". I'm curious how far I can extend the rod so as to showcase more curtain when the window is open. Can I have the rod butting all the way up to the side wall? Or should I have more like 2 inches? Or 5 inches? I'm going for modern look, so probably just a dark bar and not any big fancy ball ornaments.

Comments (19)

• D M PNW
    5 years ago

I would run the rod from wall to wall and locate just under your molding. I wouldn't use a dark rod unless the curtains were a dark color. I did that once and found the dark line a distraction. I would also want to get rid of the mirror closet doors. I would not want to sit in bed looking at myself.

Johnny thanked D M PNW
  • artistsharonva
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Johnny thanked artistsharonva
  • Johnny
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@D M, really? Run the bar from wall to wall? I thought it would look weird and un-symmetrical if the bar was way long on the left side. And then what about when the curtain are open? Do I leave both curtains small-width equal size? Or the left one is spread wide?

And yes, I plan to have dark curtains.

• artistsharonva
    5 years ago

I suggest getting a color not too dark, because this is a small room with dark floors. It will make the room look much smaller & too much contrast will bring attention to the curtains. I prefer curtains blending in more in smaller rooms to make it feel larger.

Lighter curtains can still block out sun, when they are thicker & made to.

Hope this helps you pick out the best for you.

• Johnny
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The room's actually pretty bright. It's just the windows messing with camera exposure. The wood is mid, not light or dark. And the place is usually totally washed with light (too much light), it's west-facing window.

• Johnny
    Original Author
    5 years ago

more angles for you guys

• artistsharonva
    5 years ago

Good luck. Please post outcome.

• PRO
    Doctorblind Studio & Repair
    5 years ago

Johnny, you might also consider a silk plant in the corner, creating balance by filling in the empty space.

Johnny thanked Doctorblind Studio & Repair
  • Johnny thanked User
  • Johnny
    Original Author
    5 years ago

OMG! I get it. Thank you guys. I think full width is gonna have to be the way! Now I just have to decide like whether to run the rod all the way up to the wall or like a few inches off or what. Hmmm....

• calidesign
    5 years ago

Mount the rod halfway between the top of the window and the ceiling so you are not crowding your crown molding. I would leave a few inches of space on the right side, and do the same size on the left of the window since the window is not centered.

Johnny thanked calidesign
  • artistsharonva
    5 years ago

The higher the curtains are hung the taller the room will appear.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

Curtain width is best proportional to the glass. Unless you have three panels per side? I would not go more than a couple inches off . The air will come in........trust me. Give them a shove. Your window is too wide for a single panel each side. Not enough fullness : ( will be the result. You need two panels each side in any scenario, and more the further out you go.

A new ceiling fan seems in order..................?

Johnny thanked JAN MOYER
  • shadylady2u
    5 years ago

Multiply your window plus the molding by 1.3, then round up. That'll be the best size rod to get which allows for plenty of stackback.

Johnny thanked shadylady2u
  • Johnny
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I mounted them full-width of the room and LOVE IT THIS WAY! Thank you guys so much for the tip. Had it not been for you, I would have mounted close the window frame.

Attached are photos and thoughts:

- My room is actually pretty bright (window facing west), shooting against the light makes it look dark.

- Yes, I know the curtains are way too short and not wide enough. I will buy double-width ones, and longer (then cut to the right length, just above the floor but not touching).

- Yes, I will replace the ceiling fan. Let me know of any modern ones you think about. Either dark or light color is fine.

- I will probably get rid of the vertical blinds and go for light-filtering curtains on the inside rod or bamboo/cellular blinds? The idea is to have an option to block out the harsh western sun at 5-8pm each day but not totally blackout the room. Any other ideas?

- Are the curtains too high? I love the height but wonder if they are in fact crowding the molding too much. I also pulled the curtains too far out from the wall, I think if I push them in closer to the wall, it will crowd less. (I'm using Ikea curtain hardware with the adjustable slider mounts, btw.)

- Are the curtain rods at the right distance from side walls? I think yes?

- Do you guys think I should go for a lighter curtain color? I think I still like the dark rod. White rods kinda look too plastic-ey.

- I love grommets because they slide and fold-up so nicely but willing to explore others (rod-pockets).

• D M PNW
    5 years ago

I think they are a good height. Extra wide panels are hard to handle. Narrower panels can be tacked or pinned together, easily separated for hanging or cleaning. Rod pockets only work if you don't intend to open and close them. That is a really wide span for only three brackets especially if you use enough panels for generous fullness.

Johnny thanked D M PNW
  • Johnny
    Original Author
    5 years ago

WHOEVER SAID TO GO FULL WIDTH, you were right!!!

• Johnny
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Although now I do wonder if the curtain rod should have just ran completely end-to-end. Maybe that might look more clean as if the rod came out of the wall like a hotel curtain...instead of trying to show the finial or that awkward small amount of side-spacing.