Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nakfin

How would you place furniture in this living room?

nakfin
5 years ago

We just moved to a new house and shopping for a living room furniture. I am a bit at loss as what to buy and mainly, how to arrange it. We are thinking to get sofa and/or love seat, plus couple of chair and coffee table. But how would you arrange it around the room? Would love to hear your ideas!

View from the entrance

View facing the entrance

Comments (13)

• acm
    5 years ago

Need scale -- these bug-eye photos are impossible to judge. Also need to know function -- i.e., does a TV need to go here, or...?

• nakfin
    Original Author
    5 years ago

acm - good point! I will post a drawing shortly..

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

What will you do in this room? TV, conversation, games... Please post standard photos so we can judge the scale of the room.

• sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

please include the width of the wall between the windows. I’m thinking that might be the best location for the TV if you’ll have one in here.

• nakfin
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

UPDATE: The room will not have a TV and will be mainly used for friends and family gatherings. We are big on board/card games, so it would be nice to have some kind of surface, like a coffee table, but it doesn't have to be big. Also, we are planning on purchasing an upright piano sometime this year and it would be so nice to pencil in the space for it too.

• sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

I don't think you have a lot of flexibility where you place the sofa and the piano. Pianos are about 5' wide and need to be on an interior wall. I'm thinking blue is piano, red is sofa. Add armchairs that have a lightness to them that you can move easily for games.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

some pics to give you an idea of what furniture can be used to maximize your seating. in any of these you could do a larger coffee table for the games, rather than have a separate table elsewhere.

I love this one. Perhaps you can consider doing some built-ins on either side of fireplace? if you do them w/doors, it will offer extra storage for games and such.

on the one above, instead of the sofa on the right which would block the DR entrance, you could do a few chairs or see below how they have the poufs.

nakfin thanked Beth H. :
  • nakfin
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Beth

Built in shelves look awesome! I will put it on the list, although probably not right away since we are on the budget. It makes the room look so cozy and stylish. Love the poufs idea! They can be moved around based on activity/amount of people. Thank you - saving the ideas!

• nakfin
    Original Author
    5 years ago

decoenthusiaste

I already put the curtains in place. But I guess it won't be super difficult to move the rods up and get longer curtains. Thank you for good pointers about rugs and a separate game table idea!

• nakfin
    Original Author
    5 years ago

benjesbride

I think you have a good point about sofa and piano. Especially piano will definitely have to be by that wall. And with sofa, this way i am not blocking windows much. Thank you!

• cawaps
    5 years ago

What are the total room dimensions? You didn't give the width of the dining entrance, windows, or fireplace, so I can't add it up.

• nakfin
    Original Author
    5 years ago

cawaps

The room is 160 inches wide and 220 inches long. Dining room opening is 60 inches and the fireplace is 72 inches. The windows are 45 inches each.