Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ssutton1958

Marvin Integrity or Anderson 400 windows?

Design Girl
5 years ago

My daughter has bought her first home (50 plus years old), and needs new windows. She is looking at Marvin Integrity and Anderson 400. Both seem to be maintenance free (clad somehow) on the outside, and wood on the inside. Her home is a traditional colonial home with white 6 over 6 double hung windows and she will be purchasing the same style. She lives in Massachusetts within 5-10 miles of the ocean. Does anyone have any advice on which window would be better in this application? The prices seem to be about the same. Thanks.

Comments (14)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    5 years ago

In order to really compare the two, you need to be sure to look at the Integrity that is the Ultrex - Wood combo.

Both are nice and really comes down to what she wants here in terms of the interior look. Both are solid performers.

• HU-978587341
    5 years ago

Thanks Windows on Washington Ltd. I believe that's the Integrity she is looking at. The Ultrex on the exterior and the wood interior. I believe the Anderson 400 has a similar make up. I took a look and they both looked pretty similar to me. Are there differences in the interior that you can address. Thanks.

• cfillyaw
    5 years ago

Marvin is fiberglass structure and Andersen is wood structure. I thought fiberglass would be more stable.

• Dee C
    last year

Hello, Design Girl.

No idea if you are still around, but if so, I would love to know what your daughter chose. I am also in New England (though not that close to ocean), in a traditional colonial home looking for 6 over 6 and considering both Marvin (formerly Integrity, now Elevate) and Andersen 400. Thank you.

• Design Girl
    Original Author
    last year

@Dee C - Hi, My daughter selected the Anderson 400 Woodwright windows and is very happy with them. The Integrity (now Elevate) was her second choice, but we both liked some of the features on the Anderson vs. Marvin. From what I recall, the Marvin had a beige track (which looked odd to me with a white window). The Anderson also had a choice of mullion size (we chose the smallest one to get a larger field of glass, as her windows were a bit narrow. There was one other thing we liked better with the Anderson having to do with the sill, but I can't remember it now. We both felt the look of the Anderson was better for a traditional colonial home. The Marvin had some features I felt were a bit modern looking. She is VERY happy with the Anderson 400 Woodwright. They look great and function well. Many of my friends have them and are happy too. Hope that helps.

• Dee C
    last year
    last modified: last year

@Design Girl, thank you! So grateful for your response. This is a big project for us (25 windows, total) and I have been researching for many months. When I came across your post, I thought, "wow...finally...exactly what I want, six over six, SDL, white exterior, traditional....I wonder which she chose." Glad she is happy with her choice! For what it's worth, I had the same impression when I viewed the Elevate. It is a nice looking window but it just struck me as more modern than traditional. And I think that's why it hasn't been at the forefront of my mind, despite hearing mostly positive feedback about it. In addition to its traditional appearance, I also like that the Woodwright has a hidden jamb liner, versus the exposed jamb liner of the Elevate and the 400 series Tilt Wash. It eliminates the concern about how a gray or white or almond etc. exposed jamb liner would look with a painted or stained interior. A white jamb liner would not stand out against a white interior, of course, but if the interior will be a paint color other than white or stained, the color of the exposed jamb liner is a concern to me. I wonder if the thing about the Andersen 400 series sill which you can't recall is that it's got a good slope to it. I have heard that that it is good for shedding water. Thank you, again, for taking the time to respond to my post.

• Design Girl
    Original Author
    last year

@Dee C - I'm glad I could help. My daughter was unable to do all her windows as they couldn't afford them all at once. She did the front and one side of the house, and will do the rest later. It is a big investment and you are correct to do your research. It's not something you want to cheap out on as if really effects the look and value of the property. With prices today things are insane. We are at the tail end of a major renovation and the costs are through the roof. The jamb liner was one of the things I didn't like about the Elevate. My daughters windows are all white on the interior so the beige on the Elevate would have looked odd. I don't think you can go wrong with the Anderson 400 Woodwright. They are a great window, and from what you have described, perfect for a traditional colonial.

• Window Genius
    last year

Wood windows are NOT maintenance free despite being clad on the outside.

• Dee C
    last year

@Design Girl, you did. Thank you, again. I understand completely. It is a very expensive project. On a positive note, with the front and one side of the house done, she is halfway done! Congratulations on the nearing completion of your renovation. I hope you enjoy it.

Design Girl thanked Dee C
  • elcieg
    last year

In my last home (new build) I chose Marvin. Lovely. However....I had a lot of trouble with the sliders. The seals failed on all 4 within in a year. No problem with Marvin. All four were replaced easily. Fast forward a year, two of the four had the same problem. Not knocking Marvin. This build we went with Anderson 400. Started the reno in 2014, windows, sliders have not let us down. We don't love the 400 slider screens as much as Marvin's. It is a toss up?

• PRO
    toddinmn
    last year

They both use Cardinal assembled glass packs, more luck of the draw.

• cfillyaw
    last year

We are about 4 years into the Marvin Integrity windows with black fiberglass clad on the outside and white pre-finished wood on the inside. We don't open and close the windows often, but all are working like new.

• maestrope
    last year

I recently installed Marvin Elevates, white inside and out. I just wanted to mention that you can order the jambliner in white, not just beige, as I did.