Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lydia_atkinson37

Help decorating huge cathedral wall

Lydia Atkinson
5 years ago

Any advice is appreciated in decorating this huge, blank wall. Gallery wall? Huge piece of art with sconces or shelves on each side? Would love to hear your comments! Attached pics of the other side of the room to help with reference. I'm taking the photo from the kitchen (it's a huge open floor plan).

Comments (30)

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

I would do a oversized series of wall art...like this by uttermost series....each piece is 24”x 34” it really would make a statement! It would cover over six feet of width on that wall.

Lydia Atkinson thanked Home Interiors with Ease
  • sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

Is the large wall painted a different color than the neighboring walls? If yes, I'd start by painting all the living room walls the same color.

Have you thought about filling a bit of the space with a chandelier? I think your room could handle it and it could look really special.

I'm not one for hanging up art to just fill space, I'd look for something with a larger scale that represents something special to you. For example, the room below with the chandelier has a triptych of a horse; great if you love horses. Or maybe an image from a place that is special to your household.

Lydia Atkinson thanked sheloveslayouts
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

Yes art is for filling wall space and creating a cozy feel...and adding your personality to a space....the wall art series I suggested would be very complimentary to your style...love the spool arm chairs and traditional rug mixed with a modern sectional and coffee table...so you have created a transitional space! That is what the art work I suggested is...so have fun look around see what you love...a series of art or a set of oversized art...I would not add shelves or sconces...you have three big lamps and a wall of book cases you are set.....not more of that needed in your space.

• Lydia Atkinson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for the comments. It seems like the prevailing view is to go with artwork, not shelving. If we had one large piece of art here, only, don't you think it would look like it was swallowed up by this huge wall. Is that why a triptych was suggested? Here's a better view of the massive wall I'm working with (two pictures attached). I like the idea of a chandelier. Thank you!

(

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

.looks like the section is about 10’ long? So art should be no more than 3/4 above It...that is why I suggested the oversized series of art..it would cover about 6’ or more of the width over sectional....and if you add a chandelier it will look beautiful...tape off a 6’ square with painters tape.....stand back and see what you think.

• Lydia Atkinson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

This line is 6 feet long, but more like 4 feet tall. I centered it with the room and not the sectional. Is this correct? This, with some kind of tree in the corner, might look really nice. What do you think?

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

was just making this quick sketch..looks good size is perfect..so oversized art...series of art..whatever you love...

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

Here they are on Lux decor..if interested..they have silver frames...

They really are made well...

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

Because the section floats in the space and is not up against the wall your art can fill the space even if it is layered behind part of the sectional...you could also think about hanging your big mirror I saw.......with a set of three pieces of wall art flanking the mirror On each side...

• Lydia Atkinson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Those are great ideas! Thank you. Unfortunately I sold my dome mirror. Maybe it would also work to do a big piece of art and then smaller mirrors on either side.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

sure why not it is what I have done in my kitchen eating nook....just make sure your scale of sizes is right....find some art you like and go from there...art first...it is still going to have to be oversized.......That’s to bad you sold that mirror it would have worked perfectly!

Saddlebrook · More Info

• Lydia Atkinson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yep, that looks nice. I got such a good deal on the mirror, too! It was Ballard and I got it on Craigslist. I should have kept it!

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

oh Darn!!

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

A big black leaning floor mirror like the second image would be nice too...very chic!:)

• Lydia Atkinson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes, I have always loved those mirrors!

• sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

The trees are beautiful, Lydia.

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Well, if you're not going for real art, the trees are better, but that one will probably clash with your red accents. I think I'd go for a great black & white piece, or even a grouping of big photos, so you can keep your reds, or change to another accent color without considering the art once it is installed.

• Lydia Atkinson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Decoenthusiaste, what would you define as real art and where would you find it?

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

Something you find at an art gallery, flea market, university art department, art show. Oil, pastel, charcoal, acrylic, but not a reproduction made in multiple sizes. Take your time: use this as an excuse to get out and browse together. Something is perfect. for you and your space. One of a kind like you are, not multiples you may find in a friend's home. You don't want to go to a party and be dressed just like the hostess.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

I think the art from ballards will be to small...not the width but the depth...63’ wide if adding mirrors but the 40” or so depth will look small..you need big big!

look on Etsy.com...search oversized wall art....

• sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

Lydia - Designer Jenny Komenda opened a print shop last year. She has fantastic taste.

Here's the shop:https://jennysprintshop.com/

Also... if you want to get lost in one of my favorite blogs, her blog is here: http://littlegreennotebook.com/ She has a worthwhile instagram too.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

That is why a series of oversized prints would do the trick...otherwise I would do mirror with flanking art...I think finding art and flanking mirrors is a tough one to pull off on that wall....my wall that I posted is only....11’ wide with 9-1/2’ ceilings...art is 4’x3’ mirrors are 18” squares...just so you can understand what scale you need...much bigger than mine for sure!

• sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

I encourage you to establish your criteria--size, palette--and then wait for something that's special to you. You can also think outside the box a bit...For example, my husband is partially deaf, so we have an beautiful antique diagram of the ear. I also have an 1950s, pre-interstate map of the US on the wall that my grandma had pinned up for a while when my dad was a kid.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

Also look at all the Uttermost art..they have a beautiful variety of styles in a lot are oversized...with your transitional room..here are a few I think would be complimentary and have the ability to work well...if wanting to flank with mirrors..

Love the above series for your room!

I have these in my oversized entry along a very big wall...each print framed is 19”x24” so really make a statement....this wall is 16’ long and has 12’ ceilings the console is 8’ long.

• PRO
    Inside Out Staging and Design
    5 years ago

I have used large metal clocks and large "open" wire pieces that fit nicely in the "point."

Is it possible to center the sectional so that it is centered in the wall and therefore allows the artwork to be centered as well?

• PRO
    Derek Tarr Photography
    5 years ago

Hi Lydia,

Of the two pieces you mentioned a few days ago, personally I think the Southern Oaks piece looks better than the other in your space.

That said, you've got a long wall there, so you might consider a piece with a wide (panoramic) aspect ratio, or multiple cohesive pieces side-by-side. Here's an example of a wide single print.

Green Storm Wave

Hope that helps and if I can assist further just let me know.

Kind regards,

Derek

• IdaClaire
    5 years ago

Do you pros who sell art not know that you aren't allowed to spam the forum by linking to your own products? It happens over and over again, no matter how many times your spammy posts are flagged. Please stop it.

• IdaClaire
    5 years ago

@Derek Tarr Photography - Since you messaged me, I thought it better to post publicly about this, as others may have questions. Emily with Houzz has stated that it's acceptable for pros to link to their work if otherwise engaged in the forums, offering advice, using their work as an example, and not simply scouring the forums for opportunities to promote their products. It would appear that you have shared your work appropriately; however, there are repeat offenders who do not participate at all beyond popping up in threads and linking to their site for the purpose of trying to snag a customer. If this needs clarification, you might want to reach out to Emily with Houzz for further info.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH