Tiny Succulent ID Please!

daxeek
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

webuser_832110964's ideas · More Info

Any ideas what this little guy is? He reminds me of sedum clavatum, but ridiculously small. Is he Sedum dasyphyllum?

Also, is he a groundcover plant? Will he do okay indoors?

Comments (12)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    5 years ago

I agree with the ID. IMO, it should be much more compact. hoovb is in much sunnier and warmer climate and it may need some filtered sun there; in my climate (probably same as OP), I kept it whole summer in lots of sun and it did fine. It needs much more light and perhaps some sun to grow compact:

It is wet - photo taken about 2 weeks ago, just after the rain. Hardiness is supposedly to z5, but I have seen it listed to z6. I kept mine in cool and dry conditions during winter, temps were below freezing.

daxeek thanked rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
  • daxeek
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I figured it was etiolated, but didn't recognize what it was, so I didn't know for sure. I just bought it today, so I'll definitely give it some more light than it was getting! Thanks, guys!

Also, beautiful plant, Rina! Does yours get a reddish color in the summer? From a quick google search, a lot of them appear to have this pink/red tint to them.

• daxeek
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Also, should I cut back the particularly leggy stems?

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    5 years ago

daxeek

Thanks. Mine never got that red color, there was jus very little pinkish tint on some leaves. It is much more bluish color. I understand that there are few varieties, but I do not know much about them. I never had to trim mine, so I am not sure. But 'beheading' works well with etiolated plants.

What kind of light does it get? Do you remember what kind of light it was in store?

I am beginning to wonder a bit - stems are very long, even for etiolated plant...also, it seems to be branching? I have to inspect mine tomorrow to see if there is any branching - I do not remember seeing any, but it is much more dense and I never looked for that. Could it be something else? I would like to see yours after it gets more light...

daxeek thanked rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
  • daxeek
    Original Author
    5 years ago

It was in a greenhouse type of nursery where it got light from a frosted ceiling that was about 20ft high. Probably not the brightest light. I'll acclimate it to some bright, direct light over the next few weeks. We'll see how it grows!

I'm excited to hear that they don't all turn pink. I bought it because it reminded me so much of Sedum clavatum -- a favorite of mine that I've never seen in real life before. I ADORE that beautiful bluish color.

One thing I'd like to note -- the stems are extremely fragile and break off insanely easily. Just handling the pot for more than a minute causes a few to snap off. Is this normal? Is this from the etiolation causing the stems to be weak? It has a billion different little stems, so it can definitely afford to lose a handful, but I don't want this to get out of hand!

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    5 years ago

daxee

I looked my plant all over, and do not see same way of branching that I think I see in your photo. I am attaching 2 photos of a small piece of S. dasyphyllum 'Minor'; one with a triple A battery for a size comparison:

It does grow many branches, but they are on much shorter stems than your plant - it could be due to etiolation, but the difference is quite large. I think I see branching on your plant coming from the crotch of the leaves? - not quite sure, maybe you can post a close-up. Stems on my plant seem to be bit woodier. Pieces of the plant - not so much individual leaves - fall off very easily, and they just grow roots and most anchor themselves into potting mix. Surface of the leaves seems to be 'dotted', almost like pockmarks; I am not sure if you can see it in this photo (but there ae few varieties, some with fuzzy/hairy leaves):
    Here are couple more photo; left is showing slightly etiolated plant that I found growing with another plant (fig plant :), and on right is close-up of the woodier stems:
    It blooms white:

So, to make this shorter...I wonder if it is same plant? hoovb, what do yo think? Maybe it is just really etiolated :)

• daxeek
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here's a stem I cut off! Is it possible that this is very a young plant, and that's why the stems aren't quite woody yet? I imagine it would be significantly shorter if it had been given sufficient light! Maybe it's just a baby?

• daxeek
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Also, mine's definitely fuzzy. Here's a cropped version of a picture I took earlier today. :)

Oh, and one more thing. My little dude has a very pine-y smell? Like, if you literally smelled fresh pine needles straight from a tree. It's very noticeable, as none of my other houseplants or succulents really have much of a scent. Very cool, but not sure if it helps in IDing it? :)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    5 years ago

daxeek

Many plants have woodier stems with age. I couldn't detect any aroma on my plants. Check this link for variability of S. dasyphyllum.

• Chris (6a in MA)
    5 years ago

Rina,

I have the same as yours. I bought it online from a reputable source from Rosenburg, Oregon. Mine is labeled Sedum dasyphyllum "Major". It stays green and its turning bluish in very cold weather. It doesn't have the hair-like stuff on its leaf which is typical for "Minor" and turns purple under the right conditions.

• daxeek
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Interesting little update on this guy!!!

Do you see this gray-ish, more compact growth in the center? I've been giving this guy PLENTY of direct sun, so I'm thinking this is what his "suntan" looks like? I'm excited!! :)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz