Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
94nyrangers

Cabinet crown, room crown, color and style delimma!

94nyrangers
5 years ago

Bare with me... this is a long post...

Background:

We are redoing our kitchen cabinets due to the fact they are falling apart and off the wall! Our cabinet maker is using SW Alabaster for the cabinets, crown and supplying extra crown around kitchen (in same color) to connect the cabinets together. Plus it is needed above sink to hide lighting wires. The cabinets will have 2 piece crown that transition to 1 piece on wall without cabinets and over the window. We currently have our house trim painted in the buildter designer cream (doors, trim, casings, window, etc. Also our plantation shutters on our windows throughout the house are cream). We tried several cream cabinet colors to see if it would work but they just look dingy or way too yellow. We are open to changing the casings, doors, window trim color in the kitchen to match our cabinets. However, our kitchen opens up to the breakfast room and family room - open floor plan. We have the cream crown molding in the rest of the house, just not in the kitchen, breakfast area or family room.

Sorry for the poor quality pictures.

Dilemma:

I want to continue the crown into the breakfast room. What color - the cabinet color or current cream door/casing trim color? Do I treat the rooms different hence 2 different colors and have the crown meet at the corner return? Note: I am also open to changing out the window treatments to work with the Alabaster paint.

(The new cabinet crown will come up to the edge of the wall. Could be an easy return.)

Another question is where do I stop with the crown in the breakfast room. At the wall with the french doors or all the way around. If that option, it will bump up to the column which is a different style and size crown. Can two different styles work as long as it is the same color? As with the kitchen, we are open to changing all the trim/door/window treatment colors to match cabinets. The remaining house is cut off from this area so I feel comfortable with changing it and not the remaining house.

(End at the french door wall and not around to the column? Or all the way around. Note: the crown on top of the column is different than the crown from the cabinets.)

(All the way around to here?)

For the record I have had had 2 different design consults here and neither one had an idea. I give up. Can anyone help?

Thanks for taking the time to read this long post. My appologies if it is disjointed. ;)

Comments (5)

• Keiko Childs
    5 years ago

You can either have them connect and be scribed (so there would be no bare ceiling/wall between them) or do a "hanging" return where one style of crown ends and there's a short bare spot, then the new crown begins. You have so many types that I feel like connected, scribed would look better--but will likely be much more expensive because it's just a harder technique. You'd want to do your wall crown to match the rest of your trim, and the cabinet trim to match the cabinets. I posted pictures of my kitchen yesterday, we did all hanging returns with spaces--it works in my kitchen...I'm not sure it would work in yours.

94nyrangers thanked Keiko Childs
  • suzanne_sl
    5 years ago

My first inclination would be to take the kitchen moulding all the way to the column, but maybe the size isn't so good for the breakfast room? What I really wanted to show you, though, is what we did where our kitchen runs into the family room, which should give you some idea what it would look like if you made one choice over another. This is something you're going to run into at the column one way or the other.

We have both a color and a size change. We're happy with our choice, but I could certainly see choosing to do it differently. One factor in our choice was that the cabinet moulding is too skinny for the family room and what is in the family room matches the rest of the house. Also, because the cabinets aren't really white ("white chocolate"), it wasn't a good color for the family room walls. Hope this helps you visualize what yours might look like.

94nyrangers thanked suzanne_sl
  • acm
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I wouldn't add crown moulding in the breakfast nook. It's going to look crowded and busy, in addition to having the difficulties at every transition, and if you're not carrying it into the next room, that break will look silly too. Don't be swayed by what Joanna Gaines does in Waco, TX -- not every house needs crown moulding, and yours is one that doesn't. (See uncased hall doorways, etc.)

94nyrangers thanked acm
  • 94nyrangers
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@acm: We have extensive crown, molding, wainscott, etc in our foyer, stairs, office, living room, dining room, entry to kitchen from dining room, entry to the hallway to the kitchen, The entry to all of those rooms and hallways have heavy casings with fluted detail on the inside frame. And then you enter the back of the house...nothing. Your comments make perfect sense since there are no door frames back here except normal size on the exit doors, bathroom, pantry door. No other hallway casings. Our cabinet designer has suggested several times to add to the breakfast room as it will finish the look. I just can't wrap my head around it, especially the transitions and where to stop. The color is another issue in relation to the door, shutters, etc. They would take care of all scribing, etc so there isn't an extra cost. I think I will not put crown in the breakfast room.

Many, many thanks to all suggestions!!!

• Mags438
    5 years ago

I love the spaces with crown molding. The room without it, looks a bit out of place with ceiling height pillars.

If you will be replacing your kitchen window

over the sink, lengthen to come down to countertop. I did that....The difference is amazing.