Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justindesiree

Counter height table for an island

Faith M
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Has anyone used a counter height table for an island and had it actually look good? Or does it look cheap?

Comments (33)

• suzyq53
    5 years ago

I've seen them look very nice. It depends on the kitchen and the table.

Stamford Kitchen · More Info

• Faith M
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I love that one! I am considering getting a smaller version of that. since we also have a regular kitchen table.

• suzyq53
    5 years ago

But you want seating at the island table too?

• Linda Ransom
    5 years ago
    I use a metal legged work bench from Sears. holds 3 stools and has a butcher block top. Visitors are amazed.
  • sushipup1
    5 years ago

We got this one from Ikea. Very nice.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60323021/

• Faith M
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Suzyq53, yes I would like two stools at the island.

Linda, do you have a photo? I'd love to see!

Sunshipup, I actually wanted one, but it won't match our grey floors!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    5 years ago

I have a vintage French zinc-topped pastry table. Or is it was termed on 1st Dibs.

• Faith M
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Any photos, Mtnrdredux_gw?

• suzyq53
    5 years ago

So there are a lot of beautiful console styles but not really for seating. You just get counter high consoles for stand up entertaining and serving and work/drop off surface. Some have lower open storage.

• Faith M
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I guess this isn't commonly done!

• suzyq53
    5 years ago

It is very common. A few more pics. What don't you post a pic of your kitchen? Might get some great ideas.

• suzyq53
    5 years ago

Didn't mean to post the cat. I love roarah's ideas. A few more.

Melbourne shoot #10 · More Info

Mackinac Island Chic · More Info

tanglevine main house | chilmark · More Info

Kitchen · More Info

• Faith M
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Suzyq, thank you! I like those!! I am attaching photos of our kitchen. The space for the island isn't as large as it looks in some of the photos. I'm also attaching some islands I love. Not sure which is the best way to go.

Roarah, I absolutely love yours! What does the bottom look like? Does it just have four legs? I am starting to lean towards the more delicate looking islands.

(table is directly across from refrigerator)

(not sure if too rustic and chunky)

(I love this one, but daughter says it looks like a table, not an island. I would use backless stools on the opposite side, instead of what is shown. Not sure if this shade of white would match our cabinet color enough, but easy to paint).

(this is larger than in appears to be in this photo. The shade of white may not match our cabinets enough. This would be more difficult to paint).

• suzyq53
    5 years ago

Maybe something like this?

Verona White Stone Counter Table · More Info

• roarah
    5 years ago

Beautiful kitchen you have! We built a cheap table top and skirt for the legs than placed the butcher block ontop glued in place. It has last for years used by kids every day for breakfasts. Boos has some beautiful prep tables to look at only thing was the one I wanted had such a hefty block on top there was no legroom underneath for stools that is why we made our own.

• erinsean
    5 years ago

I have a peninsula in my kitchen, counter height with two stools. That said, I love the look, but when we sit at the peninsula for any length of time, my legs go to sleep. Even if feet are perched on the lower rung of the stool. As I said, I love the look, but do not find them comfortable for sitting for any length of time.

• Faith M
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Suzyq, that is very pretty but out of our budget, unfortunately.

Roarah, Thank you! Is the bottom of yours just the four legs?

• suzyq53
    5 years ago

Trevino Counter Height Table/Bar · More Info

• Faith M
    Original Author
    5 years ago

erinsean, we really wouldn't use it to sit for long periods of time. We would still eat at our regular height kitchen table, so I do not think it would be an issue for us. That is a great point to consider if it's the only place to eat! Do you have any photos?

• Faith M
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Suzyq, now that's definitely in our budget and very pretty! Do you think it would match our grey flooring? Our kitchen table was purchased prior to changing the floors, and now I'm going to have to paint/restain it. Wood tones are so difficult to match with our floors. I really like this option.

• suzyq53
    5 years ago

Is 5' the right length for your space?

• Faith M
    Original Author
    5 years ago

We were looking at 49-55", but that might work. I'll measure it out and see.

• roarah
    5 years ago

Basically I built a cheap white table. I ordered the legs on line there are many to choose from, used mdf from homedepot to make a top and skirt and than bolted the legs into the skirt part. Then I painted it all with dove white and glued the butcher block ontop of my DIY table. This might show it better.

• suzyq53
    5 years ago

Yes the wood would definitely work with the beautiful floors. It might be cool to have wheels so you can easily move it right up to your sink.

• Faith M
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Roarah, that is exactly what I want. I don't necessarily want to hide our cabinets and stove, and many islands will do just that. The ones that are more delicate still show that... just as yours does. I love it.

Suzyq, I think you are right about it working with our floors!

• PRO
    COZYWELL
    5 years ago

Does it fit?

• daisychain Zn3b
    5 years ago

Years ago, I made this island to help a small kitchen be more functional. I ordered all the pieces from tablelegs.com and then had a local carpenter make the top. This was table height, but you can order the legs in many styles and heights. They were extremely helpful when I was trying to place my order, but this was 10 years ago.

• zibbe
    5 years ago

Room and Board does custom tables by the inch. I had an island done in steel, on casters, with a cherry top. Your pricing depends on size and materials but you can play with all this on their site.

• Faith M
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Cozywell, that is pretty.

Daisychain, I love it!! It matches the rest of your kitchen so well.

Zibbe, thank you for the info. I will keep that in mind if I ever need another one.

I had ordered two of the three I showed above, and they arrived today. I opened the first one and just loved it, so I am returning the second one.

Now, I just need to decide on stools and I am set!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    5 years ago

Very nice! We converted a 3x5 marble-topped dining table to work table height--a little over 34" tall. For years we used a bench for seating on one side (similar to your bench), then as the grandkids arrived, added a cast iron swing-out seat to each end. The swing-out seats are mounted to table legs, and tuck completely under the top when not in use. Since our top is marble, the added weight means we didn't need to bolt the table legs to the floor, for stability. If you don't plan to move the table around, you could use floor bolts.

I purchased the vintage seats on ebay, then painted the iron to match the table legs, and added a wider wood top to each.

Pics of my table/island are in a recent thread: [Scroll down.[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/seeking-layout-help-for-tentative-spring-kitchen-renovation-dsvw-vd~5523140?hz_ref=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuaG91enouY29tL3wxMzQwNWJjNy1jZThhLTRjYWYtODM5NS0wZmQ2OWM5OWQwMTl8MTU0MTY5MjA4OTIyNQ)

A GardenWeb discussion of swing-out seats:[Suspended seating on island[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/suspended-seating-on-island-dsvw-vd~4184467?n=16)

• roarah
    5 years ago

It is perfect!

• RedDogsCrafts
    5 years ago

We're building this table but in counter height for use as a kitchen island. The top is 4" thick and it will have a rustic steel base. There will be space to house some metal bar stools under it for seating if needed. I think it will look really nice when finished.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/RedDogsCrafts