Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pds290

Should I change my fireplace?

pds290
5 years ago

I have a stone fireplace in my bedroom that currently has a wood stove in it (sort of - it's too big, and top loading, so it sits out in front). I have used the stove only once in the past several years, because the room gets too hot for sleeping comfortably when it's fired up. I'm thinking of changing the look of the fireplace so that I can light an old fashioned fire in a fireplace, and to bring the look of it more in line with my taste. I would appreciate any advice or opinions that are out there.

Here is the existing fireplace:

Here is an unskilled photoshop version of what I'm considering:

And here is an inspiration photo of a fireplace that I liked on Houzz. I would love to have a floating bench, but am not sure whether what shape the floor will be in if I tear out the current hearth bench.

Division Street · More Info

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Comments (18)

• ilovecomputers
    5 years ago
    Following.
  • Kris Bruesehoff
    5 years ago

Can you post pictures of the rest of the room.

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

If you've only used the current stove once in the past several years, do you really need an extra heat source? Changing that fireplace to something more streamlined will be a fairly big expense. Also, why is there a stove wood fireplace in a stone fireplace?

• Sharyn
    5 years ago
    It does look weird with the stove crawling out from the opening. I'd try to remove that and leave the fireplace open. Stage it with some lovely birch logs and I think it would look very attractive.
  • doc5md
    5 years ago

It would be very helpful to see how the rest of the room and adjoining rooms are layed out.

• Kris Bruesehoff
    5 years ago

The inspiration pic is a modern style which doesn’t look in keeping with what we can see of the rest of your space. Are you looking to change more than just the fireplace?

• PRO
    Seldens Furniture
    5 years ago

I like the plan you have in place. It would look really nice! I see your inspiration photo includes built-in log storage which is such a cool look. You obviously don't have space for a built-in, but incorporating a piece like this would be a way to get a similar feel. Good luck!

Firewood Storage, Medium · More Info

• PRO
    Carolina Kitchen & Bath
    5 years ago

Tartanmeup, homeowners often put a wood stove on a fireplace hearth. It gives you the ability to close up that yawning gap a fireplace can be and often helps with heat/cooling loss.

• grapefruit1_ar
    5 years ago

I would remove the wood-burning stove and keep the lovely stone fireplace as is. It is a beautiful feature.

• baileysr
    5 years ago
    I agree with getting rid of the wood stove, especially because you don’t use it for heating. If you want the ambiance of flame, but not the heat or the hassle of a fire, putting a variety of pillar candles (same color but different heights) would be nice. The fake candles with the LED flicker “flames” aren’t bad either, and even easier than real flames, especially if they can be turned on and off with a remote control. Personally, I kind of like the existing stone fireplace, but that’s a personal preference and only you know your style and likes.
  • jalarse
    5 years ago
    Why not go gas or propane. You’ve already got the chimney. At least with the gas fireplace you have a remote control you can have it on when you want it, Turn it off when the room gets too warm. Nice thing about gas or propane you don’t have to lug wood around. We installed a gas fireplace in the bedroom, a gas fireplace in the kitchen and a wood fireplace in the living room. Love those remote controls.
  • Jen Horton
    5 years ago
    I would agree that a gas insert is the way to go. wood is a lot of work and with gas you could design it for contemporary or something more traditional
  • tartanmeup
    5 years ago

Thank you for that answer, Carolina Kitchen & Bath. I've never seen this kind of setup before.

• pds290
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here are two more photos of the room, taken from either side of the bed. The room is semi-open to my office, which is behind the fireplace. Thanks for the ideas everyone!

• pds290
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here is another inspiration photo. My objection to the fireplace is partially the really lousy stone work. My father had someone local build it 50+ years ago while he was away for the week, and came home to find that they had used the stones that had been dug out when they put in the foundation, and joined them together with rough, huge spans of cement. Definitely not a high quality mason. He regretted it for the rest of his years in that bedroom.

• PRO
    Carolina Kitchen & Bath
    5 years ago

Yep, if you use wood to heat with, this is the best way to do it. Not as much cold comes down the chimney and not as much heat goes up it.

If you're going to use the fireplace a lot, this might be an answer. Since it's in a corner and (from the pictures) it's not a focal point in the room, you're not really going to make it be an important focus for your decor.

Vermont Castings - Encore Wood Stove · More Info

Living Room · More Info

• Kris Bruesehoff
    5 years ago

Your second inspiration pic is more in keeping with the space.