Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anastasia65

Will you give your opinion on this runner for a hallway?

Ana
5 years ago

I'm working on a hallway and the runner that I am considering is on sale all of a sudden. And it's mail order (so a bit of a headache to return, plus I would need 3). I am not so good with quick decisions, so I would love a second opinion. The wall color is a yellow (kind of a mustard-y one) with 5 1/2 inch white baseboards and 3 1/2 inch white trim and 5-panel doors along the hall. I will add a picture of the artwork that is at the end of the hallway (so you are walking towards it as you move down the hall). Thanks!

Not our home (LOL!) but this looks like the wall color... (at least on my monitor!)

Doors in hallway....

Artwork at the end of the hall.... (24" x 30")

Runner I've been considering for quite some time...

I just now saw today that there is another rug that might also work (I personally prefer the first one)...

Lastly, does it matter what is in my living room that this hall leads off of? In other words, I don't know what that room will end up with - area rug, colors, etc (although it has the same yellow mustard walls). So will I need to worry about that area rug/room working well with this runner that goes down the hall? (By the way, I like color!) Thanks for the help!

Comments (30)

• Robin Reyes
    5 years ago

I like the first rug better

Ana thanked Robin Reyes
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    5 years ago

I love both rugs.

Ana thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • PRO
    Sandra Forbes Interiors
    5 years ago
    I like it very much with your artwork. It is a bit casual since it is cotton but that's ok if you like it. To answer your question about it coordinating with the adjacent room, my opinion is yes. You should consider it so all the rooms are cohesive when walking room to room. Just be sure to pull in some of those beautiful colors on your adjacent room even if it has yellow walls.
    Ana thanked Sandra Forbes Interiors
  • Ana
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes, they are Dash and Albert and cotton. My thought was "washable"! A big plus for me to be able to easily wash (and flip over and use the other side). Yes, I planned on a pad.

That is a beautiful rug you chose for the adjoining living room (and super fun sofa - I love it! Totally up my ally.) But here is the thing... I don't have blue anywhere in my home! I'm just not really a blue person! I have mustard (on the walls), greens and cranberry red and neutrals too of course. A few other colors sneak in here and there, but play minor roles. I love the pop of blue in my hallway from this art (a little unexpected) and was even looking for a place for some blue, but not sure I want my living room - the main focus of my home as people come in to be so blue. I guess if the rug was the only blue in that room, and then I built on that pulling out other colors? Looks like it has a little mustard, which is perfect. Is there any green in there?! (Hard to completely tell on the computer.) Who sells those rugs? Are they on houzz?

The starfish rugs are fun, but not sure I want to totally commit to the beach theme! If I lived by the sea, I might be more inclined. The art is "Bedtime Stories" and I thought it would be fun in the hall leading to our bedrooms! Ü I love the artist's whimsical work.

I keep looking back at the rug and sofa. Really very beautiful.... I'm gonna give that some thought!

Thanks all for weighing in. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me!

• Ana
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Steve and Sandra, I wouldn't be opposed to a more substantial rug, just haven't really found something. I liked the colors in this first runner I posted and thought it might work with the art and since I am "design challenged" it seemed like possibly an easy solution! I love patterns, but it doesn't come easy to me (mixing and matching), and I'm just not real excited about the thought of something totally solid colored. But I am nervous about committing to the runners not knowing what direction I will end up going with the living room. I am thinking what everyone else is saying - doesn't have to match exactly, but should flow from one room to the next. I guess that is what has kept me from just buying the runners. They are inexpensive, but I'd still like to make the right decision the first time.

• Ana
    Original Author
    5 years ago

So, for those who are commenting on the casual-ness of the runner (and I do agree)... if I use this cotton rug in the halls, then can I still use a more "substantial" area run in the living room?

• Ana
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I meant "rug" (more substantial rug in the living room)

• User
    5 years ago

I might do something like this...

To me, it adds to the quirkiness of the picture..

Ana thanked User
  • PRO
    Sandra Forbes Interiors
    5 years ago
    i like the first one too. of yiu don't like blue, would you be open to pulling out the gray as the neutral for your living room with pops of color in the accessories and then the rug? you can make it work if you love the runner. buy what you love and it will come together. most of all have fun. you have a whimsical side and let it show!
    Ana thanked Sandra Forbes Interiors
  • Ana
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I'm open to anything! And I do like blue, I didn't mean to make it sound like I didn't, but I think I prefer it in pops here and there and not whole rooms of it (although I am still really loving Judy's area rug and sofa suggestion!) And that is a great rug Penny. Fun colors. I see what you mean about that can come off as quirky too. And it still has the medium and darker blues to tie in. (What is the price for a runner?)

I'm heading out the door (out of town for the rest of the week) so not sure how much I will have the chance to be online so if I don't comment back know that it's just because I'm away. I still appreciate all your thoughtful ideas and the time you are taking to share some possibilities and will be anxious to hear any more comments when I get back.

I will not order the cotton rugs today, can still do it when I get back as the sale will be on for a day or two next week before it ends. In the meantime, I am going to revisit looking at a bit more "substantial rugs" per your examples, maybe in the colors of that first cotton one...? And think about Penny's suggestion too for the runner.

You've all given me good things to think about and direction to help me! Thank you!

• Ana
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you Penny. What a deal that rug is! There is one left. I need three of the same. My hallway is a T - you head straight to the top of the T (where the art is) and then you either turn right or left to bedrooms down each "wing". Hope that makes sense. All 3 hallway sections about the same length. The 8 foot is right length. Well, the first leg might be a little bit longer, but that's another topic! So I will need 3 of whatever I end up with.

• User
    5 years ago

Think about three different ones...just mull the idea over for a couple days :)

Persians are perfect for mixing and layering.

• Ana
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Okay.... I can do that! Ü

So I'm curious, what would be two rugs you might put with this one?! (Because if I thought picking one rug was difficult, I am totally lost trying to put three together!)

Do Persian rugs work with all kinds of styles?

• User
    5 years ago

It really depends on the rest of your decor...but look:

For me, I don't think there's any such thing as persian rug overkill....But I've come to believe that the secret to decorating is to be brave....Don't just dip a toe in---jump all the way :)

Ana thanked User
  • Ana
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here is the area rug I was eyeing for my living room, but didn't make up my mind fast enough - when I went to get it, it was discontinued. I think by Company C, called Beekeeper. Again, a little whimsical!

• Ana
    Original Author
    5 years ago

OK, thanks Penny! Fun rooms for sure.

• Manon Floreat
    5 years ago

I like both of the rugs you chose, but I'd prefer them to have yellow in them since your walls are yellow. Here a couple more to think about. They pick up the yellow from the walls and in the art. I'd also try to bring a little blue into the living area, so the fun painting doesn't get lonely!

I agree, it's a really fun art piece!

Ana thanked Manon Floreat
  • nikkimer555
    5 years ago

How about this vintage persian runner- 3 1/2" x 9'?

Vintage Persian Area Rug/Runner · More Info

Vintage Persian Area Rug/Runner · More Info

• RedRyder
    5 years ago
    Your taste is whimsical. I think you have been given a lot of good ideas for your hallway rug and the others you will be needing.
    I’ve had area rug for all my homes. The best advice I’d give is to buy one at a time. Once the first rug is down, the next one is easier to envision.
    I think Persians might be too serious for you. But I love the blue one initially offered as it had drops of yellow in it.
    I’m concerned the cotton ones will create a hazard. I’d stick with heftier ones for the halls. There isn’t furniture to anchor it.
    Don’t forget good pads underneath!!
    Ana thanked RedRyder
  • Ana
    Original Author
    5 years ago

That's a good point Red. The cotton ones may not stay as anchored to the floors. Is there any kind of product out there that will stick the rug to the floor on the ends? (The floors underneath are real hardwood.)

• Kate W
    5 years ago
    I'd second be going with heavier weight rugs - I had a Dash and Albert cotton rug in a hallway and it drove me crazy because it was always bunching up, even with a pad underneath. I finally had to get rid of it.
    Ana thanked Kate W
  • Ana
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Kate, thank you for offering that feedback. Good to know! That does it. I'm not ordering those rugs!

• RedRyder
    5 years ago

When you search rugs on websites like Overstock and Wayfair, you can request certain materials. Just make sure NOT to check "cotton". The man-made ones and, of course, the wools will also serve a hallway better. I bought several polypropelene ones and I'm thrilled with them. They're soft and easy to clean. I'd also look for something with design to hide the dirt since hallways get more traffic than individual bedrooms. Lots to look at!! Have fun with it.

Ana thanked RedRyder
  • Ana
    Original Author
    5 years ago

That was my next question! I've seen some that are polypropelene and polyester.

I love some of the Loloi rugs - lots of colors, but also kind of faded/antique looking. Here is a picture I like... (or maybe it's just the beautiful colored chest I'm drawn too! LOL)

Haven't really found a Loloi one with the "look" above. Here are some I've seen from Loloi.... I'm not as crazy about these, but maybe they would work? If I had to pick one, I think I like the first one the best, but how to keep clean? (One of the polypropelene and polyester ones...)

Loloi Rug, Ivory/Blue, 2'3"x7'6" · More Info

Loloi Panache Navy-Silver Hallway Runner 2'3"x7'6" Area Rug · More Info

Here is a beautiful rug I love, but it doesn't come in a runner size and if it did, would be out of my price range! 100% wool. (Kala printed rug - midnight at Pottery Barn.)

A stripe, but not cotton! Recycled polyester, from Company C...

Company C Handwoven Ticking Stripe Rugs | Rugs Direct · More Info

Love the Pottery Barn one the best.

• RedRyder
    5 years ago
    Here are two types of polypropylene rugs in my home. The runner in the hallway was $89. The purple ones are in my home office. They were from Wayfair.
    Ana thanked RedRyder
  • Ana
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I've been checking out Wayfair and there are some good options, but for some reason I'm not able to copy the pictures over to this thread! The prices are definitely good! I haven't had a chance to check out Overstock yet. Thanks for those suggestions! (Love your red rug, red is always my go-to color! I've found blue ones to go with my picture that look similar on Wayfair.)

• Ana
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I am worried about ordering online though, not really being 100% sure of the colors. I don't want the hassle of trying to mail back rugs!