Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emily_richer

Help! Which blinds will fit already-mounted brackets??

Emily
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi Houzzers!

When I replaced my windows, the installer got aggressive scoring a line in the window trim with a knife... cut right through my shade cord! True story. So I've waited forever to install new shades and unfortunately, I did NOT save the old ones to identify the brand that uses these clips!!

It will be so easy to install new blinds, or shades, once I know where to shop! I'm in San Francisco. Any clues?

So enormously appreciated. Design ideas welcome too, I love a crisp white kitchen so will likely play it safe, boring all white, but open to something fun; after all, if they clip in and out, it's not a lifetime investment.

THANK YOU!!!

There's two for each window:

One window 36" wide (needs a 35" shade), and the other two are 30" wide, shade should be 28.5"-29" max to mount inside the moulding and not hit the sides. 66" long will sit above the handles of the window nicely.

It's a beautiful kitchen, I feel so lucky I got to buy it this way! Here's a better shot of the view out. At this angle, we can't see the lady behind, who sits on her fire escape and smokes and looks in, but from other parts of the kitchen, we need some privacy!

Here's the rest of the kitchen (clean!)

The neighboring room, dining room (no longer this color, more neutral wall color now), and adjacent triple parlor rooms, have custom-made Roman shades from a textured upholstery fabric, but I think something cleaner (and easier to clean) for the kitchen. Just want to use these brackets!!

THANK YOU for any advice!!

Comments (21)

• Emily
    Original Author
    5 years ago

OMG, I found an old photo of the original shades--does this help?? Sorry, pulled off FB, terrible resolution.

Sadly the cord was cut, just one string, in the center shade (you can see it listing...) Don't ask me why I didn't try to replace just that one, I seem to have tossed them ALL thinking I needed to just start over with three fresh new ones.

• Emily
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you Hallet & Co, but ... can I be honest? I'm just not good at decisions... I WANT the restriction of those brackets!! I'll analyze til I'm 90 with too many options... Plus honestly, EVERY contractor who walks in here does so much damage, every time. I want to order blinds and clip them in myself... if possible. I do agree, however, that those clips may no longer be used by whichever brand previously used them. But I want to try!!

• Emily
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Also, I bought this place from folks that spared no expense; so I'm hoping these brackets work with shades/blinds from a quality shop!!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

Okay this is a silly quest. Take the brackets off go to a good store that carries window covering and get new blinds with the proper brackets.

• tatts
    5 years ago

Where are the rest of the shades? Did he cut the cords on every one? I don't get this story.

But just do what Patricia said. Turn off the computer and do some leg work.

• mainenell
    5 years ago
    When you take the bracket down the brand may be on it. But you do not have the fabric portion of the shades. Do you want to send these brackets to the fabricator to have new fabric put on? That is pretty unlikely to happen. You need to just start over. Reusing these brackets will cost more than just starting new.
  • wilson853
    5 years ago

Sorry I can't help on the bracket, but I have friends who have had great luck with Costco. If you are not a Costco member, call one of the many companies who will do an in-house consult. They are the experts and will install for you.

Graber-Custom-Window-Treatments.product.100040959.html

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

Too ridiculous. New shades, and an installer. The idiot who cut the cord should PAY. I know nobody who does anything to a window beyond CLEANING it........with the treatment still on that window. Too stupid.

Remove another shade, and look at the headrail. Details are on it, usually. It may be able to be restrung......................which will take some leg wiork in your area. Or a return to the manufacturer and big wait. Or it is still available locally, you buy one, and let someone install it. The bracket? It will not be the same now as then. That's a guarantee, unless bought in the last year or two.

• Emily
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    These are the only shades in the home installed with this headrail system, which is quite a nice, solid system with an easy "locking" device that I suspect would still be in use.

I am hoping someone with experience will recognize the format.

Mocking me isn't helpful. Does that get you clients?

The system has two parts; I possess one half, the attached upper half in the first photo you can see it has a very nice feature of a rotating clip that holds the headrail of the shade in place.

Had I understood the system before the windows were updated, I would have removed the shades myself to protect them from the angry alcoholic window installer. Obviously, he could have helped, too, or the estimator who came out, but they are family members of the owner of the oldest and best window manufacturer in San Francisco, so there's no consequences for these guys.

I have a HUGE to-do list from massive water damage to my beautiful original woodwork from the slumlord owner of the condo upstairs so, no, I am not interested in a huge legwork project to find a new sysrem, to pull these clips, to fill the holes, to sand the filler, to vacuum the sanding dust, to prime and paint and wash the brushes and re-install a new system with new screws, thank you very much.

I need to search in the garage; MAYBE I did save the old shades, ugh, a girl needs to catch a break.
  • Helen
    5 years ago

I'm not a pro and I also don't have the interest or the skill to figure out construction issues or even design issues.

However, the obvious and easiest solution is to go to the best window shade business in your area and have them hold your hand and make the design decisions for you. You are in San Francisco and not in the boonies where you are at the mercy of Home Depot. I guarantee there is a window shade company that will get you what you want with minimal hassle and agonizing.

Wanting to use the existing bracket is really a kind of red herring since the difficult design decision is the style of the actual shades. It is not as if you are trying to keep some original detail that needs to be retrofitted. You want new shades.

It looks as though you are in an urban area and the previous owners chose simple shades that kept the view when drawn. I have those kinds of shades - I believe Hunter Douglas is the leading supplier of shades - mine are motorized. It was a pretty simple design process to select the fabric since I wasn't looking for anything other than an innocuous window covering which blocked out the sun when needed without eliminating light and view.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

You are making brain surgery of a thing that isn't! As if any bracket even shows! For heavens sake! I " don't want to do legwork, I don't want to let someone in, I don't want to unscrew the existing brackets " .......( nor need you with a semi pro install) so I guess you want to WHINE? Seems more ridiculous than the jerk who cut the cord.

• 1929Spanish-GW
    5 years ago

Nice view! When I bought my house, I wanted to replace the blinds. I quickly learned that I needed to start over. You might remove one bracket and take it to a blind store (ie. one that sells blinds..heeheehee) and see if they can match it up to something. Otherwise, chances are you'll need to start over.

Emily thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • wilson853
    5 years ago

Emily so sorry that you have been through that disaster. Anything to make it easier for you is a huge plus. We also went through major water damage three weeks after we moved into a brand new house. I had a one-month old and a three year old at the time. After renting for a year during our build, we were back to studs again and had to move out for another six months until our house was made whole again. It was years before we weren't afraid to open the door when we came home. I hope to God we never have another disaster like that. Those that have never been through something like that just don't understand the stress that it puts on your life. Every little thing seems like another mountain that you have to climb. I would contact a few places tomorrow and ask if you can email them a picture. I imagine that someone will be able to identify that bracket for you.

Emily thanked wilson853
  • Emily
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Very kind note, thank you. My unit has been flooded five times by my upstairs neighbors. You really lose your mind after twice, to be honest. And this time they insist I have to pay for the pipe, because they don't understand the layout, the rules, the obligations of ownership--they live out of state for 30+ years and just collect rents and do little to no maintenance. I finally broke down and called City inspectors. It's ridiculous to suffer so much damage to my prized home. It is overwhelming, and I tried to have a light-hearted moment to do something I could do myself and improve my situation. I can't do anything about the permanent, irreparable damage to gorgeous original wainscoting and floors. Sure we can sand it all down, bondo it, and COVER IT UP with new paint, but we can never have intact original beautiful 1910 woodwork again, nor will I ever have the exquisite quality first-time paint that was done in 1994 and would have lasted another 20 years. That sort of paint is no longer available in the US. Of course, I have ahead of me months of negotiating with contractors, plasterers, painters, woodworkers, and the insurance company, now that --6 weeks later--the pipe upstairs is finally replaced.

Looking at the sun damage to my floors in a room unaffected by this flood, I wanted to just put up some blinds, finally, after the contractor damaged the prior ones--many years ago, I confess. I am grateful for your kind words. I am going to pull off one of those clips to see if there's a brand name. I sent a photo to an online service called fixmyblinds.com. At this point, I'm just crushed and disheartened, and would certainly never hire a mocking, disrespectful designer to help me in the future. Being critical of me for someone else's damage is just unproductive. There's always the opportunity to simply PASS on commenting if you can't or don't want to help the member solve a riddle.

One thing I wish to say is, in San Francisco, not everyone has an unlimited budget of time and money; I would never have been able to purchase this beautiful flat if I hadn't been a very practical person, conserving time and money, allocating carefully for MY long-term priorities, all my life--since I started working at age 13. Thanks again for the empathetic words.

• lindsey_9002
    5 years ago

Those brackets are made by Rollease. It looks like one of the R series brackets. They make mounting systems but not the shade itself. This is from their FAQ page:

Where can I buy Rollease Acmeda Shades?

Rollease Acmeda doesn’t make complete window shades; we make and distribute window shade component parts which are purchased by companies that make shades. You are likely contacting Rollease Acmeda because you saw our name on one of the parts in your shade (the clutch). If you wish to purchase a new shade, please contact a window covering retailer in your area.

Who do I contact if I need my shade repaired?

Please contact the dealer who made your shade.

I'm not the original homeowner and I don't know who made my shade. Who should I contact in this case?

Refer to your local phone or internet directory using keywords "window shade replacement", "window shade repair" or "window shade installation."

https://www.rolleaseacmeda.com/us/frequently-asked-questions

Emily thanked lindsey_9002
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

There is ONE answer. The guy who cut the cord buys the new shades. Period .

He also arranges for the install.

• Emily
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Jan Moyer: Wouldn't that be nice. Accountability... It was Ocean Sash & Door in San Francisco. Ever deal with them? Quality products when they succeed, but frightening ethics. Worked with them three times; first time, cut the cord on my shades in haste/disrespect during window install, second time they flat out lied to me and my handyman/installer when replacing window panes in a custom 10-light French door, blaming the door, claiming "it just fell apart" when they tried to replace two breached panes (moisture inside), but turned out they ordered the wrong window sizes and didn't want to admit it, so forced me to buy a new door, and gave the perfectly-good original door (with all window panes still in place) to the handyman telling him to shush which he did not do (this episode cost me a small fortune and infuriated my painter whose project was delayed), third time they made a custom window the wrong size, became extremely hostile toward me blaming me for not measuring it at pickup, and only after a big fight actually did reimburse the cost so I could have someone else make me a replacement window. Meanwhile I'm driving to hardware stores to find heavy plastic and tape to close up my window opening during the Napa fires last year, ugh. I thought OS&D was the only game in town, and they certainly act that way. That first time I wasn't firm enough--I did actually deduct $150 for the shade damage, but didn't realize how tricky they are to replace, and that all three have to be replaced at once... Live and learn. OS&D doesn't do installations anymore...

• Emily
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I so appreciate the Rollease suggestion. They DO look similar, but on closer consideration, the Rollease style is an "end" piece, that works with a roller shade, and mine are a top mount, two of the same, for the headrail of a pleated shade. Now that I've been searching a bit, I can see there are a million styles out there and why the early responders were so intolerant of my question. Hoped this would be easier. Will take one down this weekend and let y'all know if there's a clue on the backside.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

For the love of GOD.

Call a Hunter Douglas dealer and get someone into the condo, yes on site, to advise you. Anyone who goes BACK to liars and faulty workmanship TWICE?

Yes, we're getting impatient, because despite having a head, you are not USING IT.

Replace the shades. Sue the osc,d,e,f,WTH whatever, and whoever they are.. Either way, your search for the hardware will be protracted and useless, unless clearly revealed on the headrail, and may no longer be available ANYWAY.

• nurseswan
    5 years ago

I have no input on your blinds issue (sounds like you have some options listed above), but just wanted to wish you some peace this holiday time after what you have been dealing with....