Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nhb22

Help! A drawer lock on my vintage sideboard will not unlock. :(

nhb22
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I have never had this problem before. When trying to get to some of my silver to use on my Thanksgiving table, I cannot get the bottom drawer of my sideboard to unlock. I've tried everything I can think of. And, no, I cannot get to the drawer by opening up the one above it. There is a skirt board between drawers.

I've posted on two other boards, as well. Hoping someone can help or make a suggestion.

Below are photos, including one of the lock (from the above drawer) and of what the key looks like. Apparently, the lock bar is stuck in the upright position. However, the lock turns all the way, just like the others.

Comments (24)

• arcy_gw
    5 years ago

WD40

• hounds_x_two
    5 years ago

Yes, try some WD40. That happened to me on an antique piece with a similar locking mechanism. What finally “did the trick” was when I gave it a gentle whack or two with a hammer. Not hammer-to-wood! I cushioned it with a thick towel. Loosened right up, and did not damage the drawer front.

• Olychick
    5 years ago

there is a product that's not as oily as wd40 called lock-ease. It's graphite, you squirt it in and it might work to allow the key to release the bar.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    5 years ago

Don’t laugh! Call a locksmith.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    5 years ago

So I spray the WD-40 or Lock-Ease Graphite in the keyhole and then whack with a cushioned hammer? But why would the key turn all the way over and not take the latch with it?

I have thought about calling a locksmith, but not crazy about a stranger coming in and seeing a sideboard full of silver. That will be my last resort.

• Fori
    5 years ago

Locksmiths have access to better $tuff than silver. Don't worry if you have to call one. :)

• maifleur01
    5 years ago

While I agree with Fori if you do need a locksmith simply remove all of the silver in the other sections until they have it unlocked. Not silver but glassware/crystal found a temporary resting place on a bed.

• Olychick
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Whatever you squirt in there (I'd be worried about wd40 staining the wood, so would try lock ease), try to aim it up toward the stuck pin. You might be able to use the thin straw that comes with it to spray some at the top of the drawer above the lock and hope some squeezes through the crack and drifts down into the lock (again I wouldn't use wd40 for this, as it's a petroleum product and could stain the wood). Spray some more on the key and insert it, turning it around a few times to see if it will knock the pin loose. If not, then try the striking method. If you have a rubber hammer, I'd use that with the towel to cushion it.

I would never worry about calling a licensed and bonded locksmith who has been in your community for a while. Especially one with a brick and mortar store.

Also, I just searched about wd40 and staining wood (it will) and it's not recommended for locks. Graphite powder is what to use - lock ease or similar.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks all! Sending DH out for some Lock-Ease, and I do have a rubber mallet. I'll start on this tomorrow and let you know when and IF I get it unlocked. ;)

• mainenell
    5 years ago
    You could also call a locksmith for what they would use. I know it is not wd40. Graphite sounds right, but I’m not positive.
  • maifleur01
    5 years ago

Not certain if it would do anything but try wiggling the drawer. With it locked it can not move much but try both up and down and back and forth. Gently turning the key after each movement. Any movement will be small but it might be just enough to release the mechanism.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes, tried that many times. There really isn't much movement at all with the drawer. Well built piece with no spaces around the edges. I also tried the key movement thing. The lock sounds different than the others on the piece. Something's not right.

• lindac92
    5 years ago

I feel your frustration....and that's why I never lock the doors and drawers on furniture. What locks stuff also locks you out! And If a robber comes to steal....what says "the good stuff is in here!" more than a locked drawer! Our church was broken into one time and there are locked cupboards in the kitchen with the sharp knives and the janitor's personal stuff....like scotch tape and scissors etc....and those cupboards were damaged.
    And I remember my mother moving....and also moving her car....and she locked her car keys in her desk which was also to be moved and locked the desk.....and we had a bit of a problem locating the key!!

• schoolhouse_gw
    5 years ago

I'll add my experience with an armoire door that suddenly wouldn't unlock. Went whining to a locksmith to make an appt. for them to come look at it. Lady there said, "Before you pay us to come, try WD40. This is a common problem with these types of old key locks". It worked. And I did manage to drip some down the door, but it dissipated with no staining.

• graywings123
    5 years ago

I hope the lubricant works. If not, do you think a key with a longer bit would help? Or are you able to insert the key at a slight angle?

• ptreckel
    5 years ago
    Do not use WD 40 on locks. It just gums them up and can cause future problems, even if it resolves your immediate issue. Use graphite. Always.
  • RNmomof2 zone 5
    5 years ago

Do you have a block of parafin? Wax all of the runners with the parafin. I remember my Mom doing this as a child to the antique furniture as most of the drawers had wooden runners.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    5 years ago

Or an old candle stub or bar of soap.

• Olychick
    5 years ago

Such good news! It's a beautiful piece of furniture.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks! I'll be sure to wax.

• lindac92
    5 years ago

Whew!!

• Kate
    2 years ago

We called a locksmith and was great.

• HU-213813769
    4 months ago

This was SO helpful!! I just had an issue with my antique dresser lock and was in a panic bc it has all of my travel info and I'm planning a trip which I needed to book TODAY. The WD-40 helped but the pounding w a fist (didn't use a hammer) was what did it in the end. THANK YOU everyone!

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals