Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_749034558

Recommendations for a Cold Climate Air to Air Heat Pump

HU-749034558
5 years ago

Hey all. I purchased a ~1000 sq foot condominium outside Boston Massachusetts last year that has an air to air heat pump. It's a closet style heat pump that is half outside my unit and half inside through a hole in the wall. It's connected to ducts to heat all rooms in the condo. Cooling in the Summer is great. Problem is, it does not heat very well in the colder months. It starts using the alternative heat source (coils) once the temperature gets to the 40s. I know many heat pumps are known for struggling at lower temperatures, but from what little I have read this should be in say the 10s or 20s, well below freezing, not at 45 degrees. The heat pump is over 15 years old, so there is no more warranty. I was told my unit is likely smaller than it should be for my condo size.

Here is the heat pump in question:

https://www.friedrich.com/products/commercial/vert-i-pak

Given all this, what is the best air to air closet style heat pump on the market that can deal with very cold temperatures?

Comments (7)

• Kathy
    5 years ago

I don't know what you mean by 'closet style' but in central Oregon, where temps get down below -10 in winter, Mitsubishi Mr Slim with hyper-heat is the way to go. It is rated to -13.

• mtvhike
    5 years ago

Check out the web site for "efficiency maine" for a case study.

• HU-749034558
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Just wanted to mention that this is an apartment style condo with no gas lines. So I'm stuck with heat pumps, and they have to be the half in half out kind. Nothing with an outdoor split unit will work for me. And I can't poke any more holes in my wall aside from the one I already have.

• mike_home
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I suggest you look into the Carrier Greenspeed heat pump. They are the inverter type which have better performance than the traditional air source heat pump at low temperatures..

I would think a 2 ton heat pump would be sufficient for your 1000 sq. foot condo. The data shows at 20 degrees F the heat pump can put its rated 24,000 BTUs. Below 20 it begins to drop off. At 10 degrees it is around 22,000 BTUs, at 0 degrees the heat output is about 17,000 BTUs. You probably would need back up resistance heat below 10 degrees F.

• tigerdunes
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I don't think a conventional split system will work for OP's application. It seems he has a motel type HP system. HPs have come a long way in improvements. Suggest you start with mini split systems but you should be prepared for possible Bldg modifications. Keep us posted.

IMO

• weedmeister
    5 years ago

wouldn't this be a "package" unit?

• sktn77a
    5 years ago

What is the model number/size of your unit? Heatpumps are generally sized for cooling capacity and supplemented for heating (if necessary) with electric strip backup. Being as you are in Boston, though, heating capacity would be the more significant need. If your present unit isn't heating adequately, you may need a larger unit (2 ton appears to be the largest they make) but this may compromise dehumidification in the summer.