Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hisown

FRONTLOADER USING LOTS OF WATER OR COMMERCIAL GRADE MAYTAG TOPLOADER?

hisown
5 years ago

My pretty old topload washer is leaking again, and we're thinking about replacing it soon. My husband is convinced that only a frontloader will do. I have been reviewing lots of Electrolux models. I am somewhat drawn to the new Maytag 3.5 cu ft Commercial Grade Residential Agitator Washer (MWVP575GW.)

I'm sure the Maytag will use lots of water as it's a toploader. What about the Elux? They get great reviews, but do they use lots of water? My friend had an LG, but I watched it work, and it just sprayed water in. The clothes didn't even seem fully wet. I want a machine that uses lots of water.

So I guess I have two questions: (1) Do the Electrolux frontloaders use lots of water? and (2) If you were choosing between the Maytag Commercial Grade toploader or an Elux frontloader, which would you get?

Comments (31)

• wekick
    5 years ago

You should be able to find out the exact volume of water used to fill from the Electrolux. It most likely varies according to what type of cycle it is.

hisown thanked wekick
  • georgect
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

The Electrolux's don't vary the water by cycle type.

All the cycles use the same amount but bigger or more absorbent loads will fill until it reaches its designed fill amount.

Go to YouTube and search for the newer models of Electrolux or machine of your interest. People (an appliance store owner) has posted videos on different makes and models of the whole cycle. You can see them in action.

I know (at least with Electrolux) they use even less water during the Sanitize cycle so there's less time taken for the water to heat up.

hisown thanked georgect
  • fauguy
    5 years ago

Even though the Electrolux may clean well, I've read a lot of reviews from people saying that the customer service/repair service is pretty bad. I personally am looking at replacing my GE Profile top load with the Maytag Commercial 575 since the transmission is going bad.

hisown thanked fauguy
  • littlegreeny
    5 years ago

From what I've seen, Electrolux washers use very little water. Most front-loaders in general use little water, which is normal. They clean better and are gentler than any top-loader on the market. I'd personally choose an LG front-loader with Turbowash. They are excellent washers and fantastic at rinsing while being very gentle on your laundry. They are also very reliable.

hisown thanked littlegreeny
  • georgect
    5 years ago

If you do opt for an LG, Lorain Furniture raves about the WM3770HWA.

hisown thanked georgect
  • Toronto Veterinarian
    5 years ago

They don't need a lot of water to do a good job - they work differently and don't rely on sloshing clothes around in a bucket-full of water. More water does not mean cleaner clothes; all more water will do is make your dryer work harder and use more energy. More is not always better.

hisown thanked Toronto Veterinarian
  • dadoes
    5 years ago

"Toronto Veterinarian: ... all more water will do is make your dryer work harder ..."

???? The final spin removes much more water from the clothes than would be involved in a higher fill level so there'd be no effect on drying time.

hisown thanked dadoes
  • Toronto Veterinarian
    5 years ago

"

"Toronto Veterinarian: ... all more water will do is make your dryer work harder ..."

???? The final spin removes much more water from the clothes than would be involved in a higher fill level so there'd be no effect on drying time."

Yes.....I was thinking of an "old-fashioned" top loader that uses more water and doesn't have the high-speed spin of the front loaders. Clothes come out wetter, and it takes more to dry them (double trouble - more water use, and more electricity use). In a front loader the spins are much faster and they do remove much more water. I wasn't clear about the type of washer I was commenting on.

• armjim
    5 years ago

It is also personal desires. I had front loaders for 16 years and was never quite as happy as I am with an old fashioned top loader as my current 2017 SQ. For me, it was a decision based on experience, and lots of reading here. I have been very pleased with the cleanliness of our laundry. Using hot water and the right detergent is crucial, no matter which type washer you settle on. What is right for me is not right for someone else, and that is okay.

hisown thanked armjim
  • dadoes
    5 years ago

Toronto Vet ... there still wouldn't be an effect on drying in an old-style toploader. Same aspect of spin. Think of a model that drains all the water before spin (although spin-drain makes no difference in this respect). The clothes are saturated-wet to the same degree after the water drains and they're sitting in the drum before spin, regardless of how much water was there. Run a small load on a full-fill ... they're no wetter at end of spin than if a low water level is used.

"Newfangled" frontloaders and HE toploaders, "old-style" toploaders ... they all pull in enough water to get the load saturated-wet. A spin of X minutes at X RPM removes the same amount of water from the load regardless of the initial fill level.

hisown thanked dadoes
  • kaseki
    5 years ago

Post spin water content will be determined by spin time and clothing tangential velocity -- the latter being a function of drum diameter and RPM. SQ's (presently out of production) residential front loaders have a pretty large drum and a sophisticated program to get unbalanced loads into shape for very high spin rates. I don't think that size drum would fit in a top loader, so unless the TL RPM can be even higher, the FL should win the post-spin dryness contest.

This comment is not intended to conflict with dadoes' comment, which is correct.

hisown thanked kaseki
  • always1stepbehind
    5 years ago

I had run across this regarding repairs on a blog. You'll have to scroll down the page a little bit to see list of the manufacturers.

https://blog.yaleappliance.com/most-reliable-front-load-washers

hisown thanked always1stepbehind
  • Toronto Veterinarian
    5 years ago

" Toronto Vet ... there still wouldn't be an effect on drying in an old-style toploader. Same aspect of spin. Think of a model that drains all the water before spin (although spin-drain makes no difference in this respect). The clothes are saturated-wet to the same degree after the water drains and they're sitting in the drum before spin, regardless of how much water was there. Run a small load on a full-fill ... they're no wetter at end of spin than if a low water level is used. "

I don't understand any of what you wrote (sorry), but I know that after a load in a TL, the clothes are wetter than after a load in a FL. I don't know which component of the cycle is responsible (I believe it's the spin not the water volume), but I know the end result. My comment about clothes coming out drier wasn't about the amount of water used, but the end result of the entire cycle. That's why I split the benefits into two items: less water used, and less energy used to dry (drier clothes). Both are benefits of FL washers, even if they are not the result of the same parts of the process in a FL.

• hisown
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes, I saw the yaleappliance info. From further reading I see that the owner does not like the present Electrolux machines, and seems to like the Maytag and Whirlpool products better. My husband says we WILL get a front loader, so I guess the Maytag top loader is out. I'm still researching, so any advice is very much appreciated.

Have any of you bought from online appliance stores, and had them deliver and install? Is this a good idea, or should I stick with a local store?

Sounds like people LOVE their Little Giants, but I don't know if my husband will be open to spending that much. Have any of you bought the Mieles, then got a cheaper brand of dryer to pair with it? It seems like that would work out fine. I've had the same dryer for 20 years, probably because I only fully dry towels and bedding. Most of our clothing I dry on low for about five minutes, then hang on hangers or racks to dry. Actually, maybe my husband will do a little more work on the Frigidaire dryer, and I'll just keep using that.

Knowing my husband, it may be a while before I can actually buy a new washer, but I want to have a plan in place when he says go ahead. Thanks for your help!

Deborah

• SEA SEA
    5 years ago

I'm just sorry that Speed Queen went and messed up a good thing by getting rid of their hallmark fabulous TL washer. It would have been a good fit for you hisown. It has an extra rinse option too.

Maybe there is some unneeded remodel going on around you and perfectly good appliances are being listed on Craigslist for cheap? I have the 2016 SQ TL and omg, we are still over the moon thrilled with it. May it last, and last, ...and last.

I hope you find a washer that fits your needs. TL, for the most part these days is a no-go with the restrictions in place. I wouldn't consider a TL given the current choices. Maybe, the commercial type Maytag you are considering is good enough? If I had to buy a new washer anytime soon (curse the thought), I would have to go compact FL due to space issues. The SQ TL I have fits where a compact FL does, so I got lucky.

Wishing you good luck.

hisown thanked SEA SEA
  • dadoes
    5 years ago

Toronto Vet,

I apologize for the misunderstanding. I interpreted the way you wrote the statement to mean that a machine filling with more water would cause more water to remain in the clothes after the spin. There's no mention of spin speed, only to more water.

And just to say, there have been some toploaders that reach quite a fast spin speed. Fisher & Paykel's non-HE agitator models since the late 1990s spin at 1,010 RPM. The last design revision (current models) are 1,100 RPM.

• hisown
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sea Sea, Yes, I wish I could get a good 2017 Speed Queen. A friend I saw this weekend had a pretty new top loading AWN92. I think it's a year or two old, and she LOVES it. I don't remember hearing about this model, but it's pretty fancy, all electronic push buttons. She says she would have preferred a plain jane with knobs. But since my husband is adamant about a front loader (and let's face it, they do seem overall better) I don't know what I'll end up with.

• armjim
    5 years ago

Hisown if you can find a 17 or 16 SQ, it is an excellent machine. And forego the electronic control model and go for the analog i.e. the knobs. The deciding factor for me when I bought the 17 was that on the analog I can hold the water level to the reset position and the machine will fill to the top of the tub. Very useful when washing very large items and loads. Also, if your current dryer is still working and you are happy, keep it. I think there is something neat about different brands of washers and dryers working side by side.

hisown thanked armjim
  • SEA SEA
    5 years ago

Hi hisown,

You posted about Miele while I was typing about SQ. Ha.

If it was me, and Miele was in the budget, of course, go for Miele!

I agree with armjim regarding knobs vs digital should you come across a used and not very old TL SQ. I have the knob version and I like that I can push the knob in and stop action for a long soak if needed. Actually, I do that on 95% of wash loads since the SQ is too quick with cycles for me.

Having said all that, I do believe, based on what I've read, a Miele is going to be a superior washing machine to a SQ. The only area a SQ would win out would be in the deep water soaks for as long as you wished if you stumbled upon a knob control.

I don't see any reason to worry about having a different type of dryer either unless matching machines is a must for visuals. I have a different brand dryer because I didn't see any reason to spend the kind of $$ SQ asks for their dryers. I bought the one that fit my budget and could fit in my house. (both former w & d needed replacing at the same time for me)

hisown thanked SEA SEA
  • hisown
    Original Author
    5 years ago

What about the Speed Queen LWN432SP115TW01 top loader? Are these not as good as the AWN line? I see that it appears to be slightly smaller, with 3.19 cu ft capacity. This has knobs. Is it the 'old school' washer like the AWNs?

Also what about the Speed Queen AFNE9RSP front loader? Is this a good machine? It has electronic controls. Maybe all the front loaders have electronic controls.

• Jeffrey Caban
    5 years ago

hisown,

If you can find a LWN432 Washer it is a good one, it is the the old Speed Queen design, the Commercial version of the older pre-2018 AWN432. Act fast as it too has been discontinued.

Jill Cataldo, the Coupon queen loves hers.

https://jillcataldo.com/my-speed-queen-has-arrived-and-our-laundry-is-clean-again/

Jeff

hisown thanked Jeffrey Caban
  • SEA SEA
    5 years ago

My model is AWN432SP113TW04. Since the model number you list above is slightly different, I am guessing that the difference is the size like you noticed. Only a guess though. Maybe a phone call to SQ headquarters to verify. (they did answer phone with a person when I called them once)

hisown thanked SEA SEA
  • SEA SEA
    5 years ago

If the LWN432 is like Jeff says (and I believe everything he says about washing machines) and it's the commercial version--as in the model that goes in laundromats, it's the same as mine and armjim's. Just smaller capacity. I have lots of experience with those machines since my old FL would be out of service often and I spent lots of time and money at laundromats over the years. Those machines did well. Better than the large front load commercial Maytags at same laundromat.

My only caution would be to find out if you could stop the cycle to soak if you needed to. I don't know, maybe we are just a grimy group of people here, but the short cycles on SQ TL washers just isn't long enough for us, thus stopping the machine here to let it soak for a while. This is just my opinion, but if I could not make the washer stop to soak for a while, I'd have to pass on it. But I don't know how important a soak is to you...it's a must for us.

hisown thanked SEA SEA
  • Jeffrey Caban
    5 years ago

"Also what about the Speed Queen AFNE9RSP front loader? Is this a good machine? It has electronic controls. Maybe all the front loaders have electronic controls."

I own the 2017 Speed Queen FL model you are describing and it surprised me how much I liked it as it was fast, used quite a bit of Water in it's HD wash mode, and used tap water hot (140 degrees in my case) without any "dumbed down" settings.

You can read about my experience with it here-

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5193747/my-last-three-weeks-with-a-fl-speed-queen-afne9bsp113tw01#n=0

Check around for some older 2017 model Speed Queens as they are still out there. Just as little as a month ago member Larisa posted these pics from a dealer in South Carolina-

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5531711/last-years-speed-queen-models-found

Jeff

• Jeffrey Caban
    5 years ago

According to the users manual there is a Soak/Prewash cycle on this Commercial model.

Check out page 9 of the Operation Manual-

http://docs.alliancelaundry.com/tech_pdf/production/204401en.pdf

Jeff

• hisown
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Jeff, do you still use and like your SQ front loader? They're pricey, but maybe my husband would go for it since it's front loading. I like the simplicity of a top loader, but Alan, not so much. Do you think SQ front loaders are better than other front loaders?

• Jeffrey Caban
    5 years ago

My Speed Queen is sitting in it's shipping box in the cellar for the day when my Bosch Nexxt can Wash no more :)

The several weeks I spend with it when my Bosch was down for repair was nothing but a pleasant experience and I can highly recommend it.

I've only had two Front Loaders over the last decade but I can tell you the SQ washed and rinsed fantastic and was/is built better than anyhing currently out there. It is actually Speed Queens' Commercial Horizon model made for Home use so most parts should be available for years to come.

Jeff

• hisown
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Jeff, thank you for the clarification. You spoke in the past tense about it; that's why I was a little confused.

• SEA SEA
    5 years ago

I think you would be happier, overall with a SQ FL if you could find one for sale. The smaller commercial TL is kind of like a petite washing machine in terms of capacity. Ex: what would have taken 3 loads in my (at the time) 3.6 cu ft FL at home, required 5 to 6 of those TL machines at the laundromat. They washed well, but the final extraction was not the best, certainly not as good as my present washer or my old ones. I told myself it was likely due to it not being the best maintained laundromat, but who knows--it could be inherent to that particular model.

Jeff's reporting on his SQ FL is impressive and made me wish I had gone that route instead because if I remember correctly, the SQ FL would have fit in my space. I was 12 years into poor FL performance and frequent break downs, so I didn't want to go that route again at the time I needed to buy. You would just have to learn how to use it properly. It's not a big change over, but a few little changes and you are set. Plus, Mr hisown would be happy too.

hisown thanked SEA SEA
  • dadoes
    5 years ago

Just to note, the SQ commercial TL pictured on Jill Cataldo's blog does not have a water level control. That's typical of coin-op/commercial machines, they do only a full fill load.

hisown thanked dadoes