Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_188996773704

Half Wall / Pony Wall - Should it stay or go?

Amanda Weatherly
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We are in the process of replacing our downstairs flooring and are strongly considering the idea of removing this pony wall that separates our dining room from our living room. It would definitely open up the space and make it feel larger, but the issue is that no couch would fit without extending past the wall, if the pony wall was removed. We could put a loveseat there, and a couch on the wall with several windows, but that would place most seating at an awkward angle for watching tv. We tried reconfiguring the room but the tv is placed in the only practical available position, there are no studs above the fireplace and it would sit too high to comfortably watch if placed there. The only other wall is too small for the television. So really, the furniture is placed in the only available place that we think it can go. Any ideas? Should we remove the wall or do we need to keep it?

Comments (17)

• Amanda Weatherly
    Original Author
    5 years ago

i Would typically agree, but our living room is not very large and I am concerned it would feel quite cramped if we pushed the couch forward away from the wall. How far is normally suggested to push it forward away from the wall for that not to look weird? Our living room is 13.5 feet long that direction.

• iamtiramisu
    5 years ago
    Hmmm I see, I missed the part about the couch extending past where the was would have been if removed. I’m not sure that’s a big issue given your layout constraints, but it’s hard to picture in my head with the pics you posted. Hopefully one of the pros that usually chimes in on layouts will see this and give you better feedback, but you might want to add a sketch of the rooms with dimensions/measurements to this - or repost and specifically ask for layout advice. It might get more visibility that way.
  • K R
    5 years ago
    We removed a pony wall in between our dining room/kitchen area and it was truly the best decision and opened everything up so much. I say do it. You will be happy you did.
    Amanda Weatherly thanked K R
  • Amanda Weatherly
    Original Author
    5 years ago

After removing the half wall did your sofa extend past the existing full wall In your living room? Would love your suggestions if you have a similar layout in your home. I have attached a diagram of our downstairs layout.

• K R
    5 years ago
    I still think it is better than a wall! You can always bring it out a little more into the room than it is now and put a sofa table behind it?
  • hummingalong2
    5 years ago
    I'd remove the wall and pull the sectional out a bit. Is the sectional a long term piece? consider your future furnishings want list too.
    Amanda Weatherly thanked hummingalong2
  • Cheryl Smith
    5 years ago
    It should GO!
    Amanda Weatherly thanked Cheryl Smith
  • oaktonmom
    5 years ago

If you want to remove it, you should rethink the placement of the tv to the other side of the fireplace.

Amanda Weatherly thanked oaktonmom
  • J J
    5 years ago
    imo, I think the pony wall should go.
    Amanda Weatherly thanked J J
  • Amanda Weatherly
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oaktonmom that is a good point, but unfortunately as mentioned in my original post, the other wall opposite the fireplace is not wide enough to put a tv on, that is part of the dilemma with this space.

• emmarene9
    5 years ago

You will lose an electrical outlet, if that matters.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Move the TV closer to the fireplace and pull the sectional out about 6". That's all you really need.

Amanda Weatherly thanked groveraxle
  • oaktonmom
    5 years ago

Is there any way to remove the wall up to where the sofa ends and finish it to look acceptable?

• oaktonmom
    5 years ago

I can’t tell if you have a sectional or a sofa and loveseat. If it’s the latter you coul flip the sofa and loveseat.

• Amanda Weatherly
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oaktonmom, we have a sectional

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Don't remove just part of the wall. Then if you ever change your furniture, you'll be stuck with an odd wall again. Either remove it all or leave it.

Amanda Weatherly thanked groveraxle
  • PRO
    Joy Street Design
    5 years ago

We would remove the pony wall. There doesn't seem to be any use for it, and you will have a more open feeling in the space.

Den Renovation · More Info

Den Renovation · More Info