Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treenutt

"J" root continuation.

treenutt
5 years ago

PIC HEAVY

Here are some pics of the Quercus alba (white oak aka WO for this post.) The first pic is of the tree still in the planter. From there, well you can see for yourselves. The WO is root bound and instead of J root, it has a sorta S root. What options do I have to put this in the ground for the best survival and growth?

I bought it for 15 bucks. I should have removed the first layer or soil to see the roots, but it was fixing to storm, I mean really storm, so I just bought it. Right now its sitting in a bucket of water waiting to hear from you folks.

Thanks you.

Comments (12)

• treenutt
    Original Author
    5 years ago

By the way the tap root was not resting on the bottom.

• User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

What a mess. way too long in the pot. You aren't out much if the tree fails.

You've done the majority of fixing by untangling the root mass. Now just suspend the mass in the hole and fill the soil in layers, getting as many roots pointing in the right direction as you can. I'd cut off those circling roots at the top, they'll never come to no good and any other root that circles, snip.

Water well and often.

• Embothrium
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Rather than merely suspending the roots in their existing arrangement untangle them and spread them out. Use small rocks or inserted sticks to keep redirected roots in position while filling hole.

Horticultural techniques for successful plant establishment

https://s3.wp.wsu.edu/uploads/sites/403/2015/03/Planting-fact-sheet.pdf

• User
    5 years ago

No need to use rocks or sticks. Just add moist soil in layers, at the same time, as you untangle the roots, pressing down on the soil as you go, firming the soil around the roots. This will hold them in place as you fill.

You'll want to keep the mass suspended during this process, so the root flare ends up at proper height, level with or slightly above the surrounding grade. Don't bury the root flare.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    5 years ago

Even with those pictures, I can't tell for sure how far down from the root flare the kink is, or, how bad the kink is, or, how much of the root system is originating from below the kink. Pictures are rarely as good as being there in person.

-- BUT--

From what I can tell, it looks likely that there's no reason not to expect the tree to be fine with proper planting care. As Bill said, you'll definitely want to address the circling (future girdling) roots at the top (if you haven't already done so). I also agree with Bill's planting suggestions. Sounds like he pretty much covered things, but, here's a link with a lot of information that you may find helpful:

Planting a Tree or Shrub

• treenutt
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for all the replies.

Bill, way to go on the bur oak. I planted 4 of them this past weekend. Cant't wait to have a acorn.

I plan to plant the tree this weekend. Ran out of time last weekend waiting on replies from you guys. I think I have enough information to go on now. I am going to do it in layers like someone stated. First for me, but will keep this forum updated throughout the years if progress.

Thank you and Merry Christmas.

• Norbert (zone 7a - Hungary)
    5 years ago

Good luck with your oak tree, treenutt! Please keep us posted about it's growth. I always like to see the progress these trees make over the years. (Even if Q. Alba is considered a slow growing oak, it's still a magnificent tree in my opinion.) :)

• User
    5 years ago

treenutt,

There are bur oak growing in my woods, no larger than the one I pictured, that had several acorns on them last season already. So it shouldn't take long for yours to produce. I love the bushy end caps of this acorn.

Merry Christmas!

• Embothrium
    5 years ago

When you're holding the trunk in one hand and shoveling with the other you have no way to keep uncooperative roots spread out and in their new positions. Unless you pin them into place somehow, as with sticks or small rocks, before attempting to cover them with soil.

As stated on the page I linked to the preferred thing is to start out with stock that doesn't have deformed roots in the first place. But I find in my area at least that just about the only woody material that is presented to the market with well dispersed roots is that which is sold bare-rooted.

• User
    5 years ago

Agreed Embo! That is always the 'best' way.

But sometimes you get a low price on a deformed plant and you just want something to play with. If it works, you got a good deal, if it don't work, it's not the end of the world for $15 and a little play time in the yard.

In this case, it will be fine if you get most of the roots going in an outward direction. :-)

• treenutt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I pulled the tree up last week. It was dead. Oh well. I tried. Did not add any additional growth since it was planted. Still planting trees though probably about 50 since the Quercus Alba.