Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jpy2013

Blue paint color that will go with this accent tile?

J Y
5 years ago
This blue accent tile is being used with white subway tile (whisper gray grout between the subway tiles). White vanity, floors are a dark charcoal gray tile.

Trying to come up with a blue (or bluish gray) wall paint that complements the accent tile, but doesn't also look too dark and dreary with the dark gray floor tile.

Any ideas?

Comments (11)

• J Y
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oops this is the tile (I think not grouted yet)

• AJCN
    5 years ago

Depending on your natural and installed lighting you might choose something from the whites collection of your brand of choice, or you might go into the blue/grays of a collection. Do you have any natural light? Are your light fixtures installed yet? You would want to have your fixtures installed and the light bulbs in before choosing the color. If you are doing whole walls, I'd go light. But if you have something like white painted wainscotting on the lower walls and drywall above you can go bolder/darker. A lot of it depends on lighting. Could you post pictures of what's going on in the rest of the room?

• J Y
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    We are not doing any wainscoting... fixtures are brushed nickel. I unfortunately have to make this decision tonight (long story)...
  • J Y
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I was looking at Sherwin Williams Upward or would that still be too dark?
  • mayflowers
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I have Upward and Lullaby SW 9136 chips here because I've been looking for a light blue gray with a touch of green. Lullaby is close to Upward but a little lighter and slightly greener. They were my favorites of the SW paints. I'm also interested in SW Niebla Azul 9137, which is the next shade darker on the Lullaby strip, but I haven't picked up the chip yet. I love Pale Smoke 1584 in Benjamin Moore. They have a lot more blues to choose from than SW. I'd want a touch of green in the paint with your turquoise tile. I'd go with a cleaner, brighter blue-green myself.

• J Y
    Original Author
    5 years ago

This was the bathroom before we replaced the shower. We had to rip out the wall behind the shower and replace it so while we were at it, replaced cheap tub and surround with better tub and tile and got a niche, and wanted a color pop. Didn't change existing floor tile or vanity as we couldn't afford to. There is some natural light from an old sunlight in the ceiling. Also here is an up close photo of the colors in the tile.

• J Y
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    by the way, we also drywalled the ceiling which was previously wood paneling so ceiling is now white
  • lisa_in_md
    5 years ago

I have Upward in my bedroom and I think it might be too blue for you. What about SW Icicle? It's on the same chip card, but lighter and I think would complement your darker tile well.

• J Y
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks everyone...wound up having enough time to check the colors out in the bathroom in daylight and ended up picking Benjamin Moore's Ocean Air. It's amazing how much light changes blue colors to look so different in different lighting. I wouldn't have chosen this color originally as it seems more light turquoise, but seeing it in the bathroom and against the tile, it worked. Hopefully it still works once the walls are completely painted!
  • mayflowers
    5 years ago

You do need some green because the tile has a green tone. It will look better with your floor tile than blue too.