Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tvq1

Choreograph shower walls--what to use for a base?

tvq1
5 years ago

I'm now re-thinking my choice of cultured marble shower walls--I think we'll just have to add a few more dollars to our budget.

After reading recommendations on Choreograph by Kohler, I've looked some of their designs/colors. I've also looked at Kohler bases, specifically the Ballast base in white. BUT--none of the Kohler bases come in a center drain.

We really don't want to move plumbing--that would be a last resort. Any other ideas for a nice shower base that is easy care and pretty much bullet proof? We need a 32" x 60" with a center drain.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Comments (5)

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Huh you are correct. Any way that you could stretch the area to 36 wide? Then you would have a few options. What walls were you going to use? If it is one of the patterns, you could perhaps use a different brand. ETA: I saw a 34 deep model if that would work. The Rely.

Are you going through a big box or a bath showroom? We priced them out at a plush showroom last week and the price is basically the same. The huge benefit is that they had experience with the product and would be there to fight for us if panels came in damaged, etc.

You might want to try to find a showroom and see what their solution is. It was very reassuring to see two actual displays. It really is a nice looking product.

• H B
    5 years ago

We have the Kohler Salient with a center drain, but its 36" wide. Used Swanstone walls with Choreograph "barre."

Looks like Swanstone might make a 32x60 center drain pan. I didn't expect it, but there's one on Amazon too, "shower base cultured marble 32x60, centered drain". Not sure if that's what you need. Good luck.

• tvq1
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Unfortunately, no way to stretch it even 2 more inches! We might need to have a custom pan made--but that is spendy. I know Swanstone makes one that size, but we are not going with Swanstone walls because I REALLY don't like the corner moulding that must be installed with their walls.

• H B
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I *don't* think we did it wrong but we have a 36x60 shower with that Kohler pan and swanstone walls, and I didn't want the moulding so we didn't use it. I don't have the installation instructions at hand, think they are available as pdf, but think that moulding is optional.

ETA there is a very long choreograph discussion on Houzz somewhere...it spans several years but includes a couple of different finished (or in progress) baths/showers.... including swanstone and I think some other materials.

OK sorry I keep adding -- we also have a tub with choreograph walls and they DO require the use of the corner moulding, the physical design of it as well as caulk help keep it absolutely water tight.

tvq1 thanked H B
  • MAdkins
    4 years ago

H B: If you are still around...what do you think of your Kohler Choreograph tub surround? I much prefer the Choreograph corner trim for waterproofing over the Onyx, Swanstone or Transolid chunky corner cove trim; looks very 1990's to me. I don't think I'd trust "caulk only" corners to be waterproof but that's just me. I am willing to wait for Kohler Choreograph to become available again this spring to do my bathrooms with it. Any feedback about your Choreograph walls would be great; I am looking at the Vein Cut Dune color with chrome trim (the colored, painted trim samples I received scratched way too easily.)

toq1: what was your solution to the shower pan dilemma?