Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jwillia852

Small Powder Room - 12x24 Tile Pattern - Help Please

jwillia852
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi, My name is Jeff.

We're overhauling a small powderoom and struggling with the tile pattern. As I'll describe below I am perplexed about something, so thought I'd tap the experts...

The room is 5x7 and we are planning to lay ivory limestone. The new vanity will be legged (and more appropriately smaller), so the tile will cover the entire floor. While not opposed to 12x12, we thought 12x24 tile might be a nice alternative. I intended to lay the tile at a staggered diagonal, but what I find confusing is how few samples of this layout I have seen. I see examples of 12x12 diagonal, 12x24 herringbone, an 12x24 staggered straight. Is there something fundamentally wrong with laying 12x24 staggered diagonal? What am I not seeing?

I've included a picture below (if you can see). Any and all opinions would be appreciated!

Edit: We will be taking up the floor. We just want to have a plan before taking the bathroom out of commission.

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

I have no idea why you would make this complicated do a stacked pattern keep it simple with grout that matches the flooring.

jwillia852 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • jwillia852
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Patricia. Your feedback is very helpful and exactly what I hoped for. The intention of our project is to indeed keep it simple, and as you suggested, the grout will match.

However, I will be doing this once, and will do it well, but want to be sure that I am attending to details that will transcend time and ownership. What seems to be the common opinion is that tiles laid diagonally suggest a subtle "quality" aspect while also helping address dimension shortcomings of the room.

• Jennifer Canel
    5 years ago

Re resale, some people really don't like diagonal flooring, but nobody objects to flooring laid straight! I don't agree that diagonal tiles equal "quality"-- to me (at least) it is a dated look.

jwillia852 thanked Jennifer Canel
  • Laura Mac
    5 years ago

@Dragonfly, thanks for the laugh this AM. So funny!

HI Jeff,

Diamond pattern does work nicely for 12x12, but not for 12x24. You could go horizontal (stack or offset) or vertical (stack or offset). (just grabbed something off Pinterest so you can visualize).

Lay it out and see what you like best .... I prefer a big piece of tile to step on as I enter the room, and not a grout line down the center, so be sure you line up how you like it.

Many people also use the same tile and cut it down (~4x24) and use as a border to 'frame' the floor around the room which looks nice too. (So if you are doing horizontal stack, the edge around the entire bathroom would have a small 3-4" border....

Be sure to remove your toilet, vanity, remove and replace those old baseboards, then lay the tile in the entire bathroom first, then replace the toilet, vanity and new baseboards. Much easier.....

• melle_sacto
    5 years ago

I agree with the previous posters, it doesn't feel "right" and you're creating a ton of extra tile-cutting work. I don't think this layout says keeping-it-simple at all. The current floor doesn't appear to be 45deg angle either, which is also disconcerting.

jwillia852 thanked melle_sacto
  • masterbathroom909
    5 years ago

Personally I only like square tile laid on the diagonal. Long rectangular tile looks odd at a diagonal.

jwillia852 thanked masterbathroom909
  • Cherry Burns
    5 years ago
    It is a bit off kilter to the eyes and the effect is lost with such big tiles in such a small area. If you lay the tile horizontally, it'll make the room look wider; vertically, longer. I'd go with rectangular tiles. I have either one in the bathrooms in my house and the rectangular tiles look much more modern, yet luxurious. I fully intend on rip
    I
    jwillia852 thanked Cherry Burns
  • justcallmepool
    5 years ago

I‘lol comment on the “quality” aspect a little. My previous house had tile throughout the main living areas and it was laid on the diagonal. Initially when we looked at (&bought) the house we too thought it was different/special/unique/whatever. Friends commented on it looking nice.

However, it just really sucked. Rugs and furniture placement always looked bad bc it was hard to get them lined up with the angle or exactly perpendicular to it. It quickly became a PIA. It never just blended away as a floor.

I know yours is a bathroom but I would still rethink it. It could easily end up looking like you just couldn’t make a straight line.

Maybe use a smaller rectangle tile for herringbone or another interesting layout or find some interesting tile and do a stacked or offset pattern. I think you’d find it nicer and less “unique”. Sometimes unique is the equivalent of bless your heart.

jwillia852 thanked justcallmepool
  • jwillia852
    Original Author
    5 years ago

This is all very validating. Thank you. Now it looks strange to me, too. Adjusting the angle doesn't help at all :)

Our first instinct was to lay the tile straight, but I guess we just needed to filter out the noise. I am glad I posted, and very grateful for your input.

• justcallmepool
    5 years ago

oops I didn't meant to type lol in my comment. It was supposed to just say "I'll..." :)