Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ajcn

Need some quick help on backsplash layout

AJCN
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

This is nearly the last thing to do in helping my Dad remodel his whole house top to bottom. We are 1000 miles away now, although we've been up there a few times during the remodel. For this, we are just talking to the contractor by phone and using pictures to determine the layout.

The tiles are 3 x 6 subway in an off-white color and 2 x 8 bullnose pieces.

The kitchen is U-shaped and small, It has a penninsula and 2 windows. The original idea was to make the backsplash go up all the way to the bottom of the cabinets, but the contractor said that will look bad by the windows because the windows are lower than the bottom of the cabinets. He wants to go up the bottom of the caninets everywhere except for the beginning of the U and the end of the U (just past each window). I'm putting the pictures in the comments.

Tile setter is putting this in tomorrow. Any help is appreciated.

Comments (14)

• AJCN
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Kitchen shape

• AJCN
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Picture of whole kitchen (almost). There is a fridge on the left and the rest of the penninsula on the right is off the edge of the picture. It's U-shaped.

• AJCN
    Original Author
    5 years ago

THe original plan was to have the whole backsplash be at the height of the bottom of the cabinets. LIke this:

(Showing where it would end by each window)

Window on the right:

Window on the left:

• AJCN
    Original Author
    5 years ago

He wants to make the backsplash shorter ONLY on the ends, byt the windows.

Window on the right:

Window on the left:

• AJCN
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you. So on the place that is by the window on the left, I guess the 2 x 8 bullnose piece (which would be placed veritcally) would need to be knotched and also maybe trimmed to be skinnier than 2." And for the 45-degree (mitre) cormer that piece would be very small is that okay?

• Tammi Frazier
    5 years ago
    This window has no wood except the sill is that what I’m seeing? If that the case I would consider taking the tile inside the window casing all the way around. Was tile on here before?
    AJCN thanked Tammi Frazier
  • AJCN
    Original Author
    5 years ago

GC said they were going to make the corners a 45 degree cut of the bullnose. So I was trying to envision what that would mean on the edge of the window on the left.

The tile setter coming tomorrow is well skilled. He rocked 2 fireplaces and hearths, built and tiled 3 showers, installed all the floor tiles, woodfloors, and carpet. I've see all of that work myself. So I feel confident in his skills. I just think the GCs idea here is wrong. I have the tile setters phone number. GC is going to be out of town tomorrow, so I can talk directly to tile setter.

• Tammi Frazier
    5 years ago
    So you’re using the bullnose as the window frame? All the way around the window or just where there’s tile?
    AJCN thanked Tammi Frazier
  • AJCN
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Tammy, that's right. The only wood is the sill. When we first met with tile setter, he said he would recommend returning the tile to the window. GC is saying that aren't going to do that.

How would that work using buillnose and 3 x 6? We didn't order the type of tile that wraps around a corner.

Frankly I think the tile setter is the one I need to be talking to. He has done a nice job so far on the other parts of the project.

• AJCN
    Original Author
    5 years ago

We aren't planning to go all around the window with the tile. Just stop the tile at the point that is the same as the bottom of the cabinets. So there is a straight line across, except for the interruption of the windows. That was my initial understanding.

• AJCN
    Original Author
    5 years ago

You know, now that I am remembering better when I met with the tile setter in August, it totally makes sense to wrap the tile so that it returns into the window. Otherwise wouldn't there be a raw edge exposed? If he uses a piece of bullnose on the return and a bullnose piece on the wall, no raw edges, right? The window edge is sort of rounded though. Is that an issue?

• AJCN
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I asked them to get the little 2 x 2 corner pieces and they didn't. That would make the corners cleaner. Ugh. Too tired. I'll have to think more about this tomorrow.

• Tammi Frazier
    5 years ago
    If the tile man is good he can square it off but the rounded corner could be a problem. But yes you’re correct on the bullnose pieces or you would have raw edges. That is a difficult situation for sure.