Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drbeth142

How to make this shed look presentable

Beth
10 years ago
This is an old concrete shed that is in the center of the backyard. I am looking for ideas as to make it look more presentable. Whether that be to conceal it with landscaping, paint the shed, etc, just needs to be low cost. I don't know, so I'm turning to all of you out there for some design inspiration!

Comments (13)

• fredm51
    10 years ago
    I would first paint it light green, make a trellis for the side and two spaces next to the door. Add some low grasses and paint the trellis dark green.
    Beth thanked fredm51
  • Beth
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I've considered making it look like a house, adding a window frame, window box and some shrubs. So, glad to know my thoughts are consistent with others. Still looking for new ideas as I couldn't find a whole lot by searching Houzz.
  • illig1
    10 years ago
    Painting it a dark grey would really help the shed recede. The easiest thing would be to plant vines on trellises and let them basically cover it up.

However, as Taniya2 suggested, putting window frames on either side of the door with window boxes could really cuten it up.
  • 2taniya
    10 years ago
    Beth - did you look under garage and shed in exterior areas on the houzz site? I just found a ton of pictures there. Most of the structures are very fancy but they include things like windows, shutters, contrasting trim, etc - it gives you a starting place for ideas,

If you do a trellis and vine - be careful about the vine as it could attract bees or take over the shed as well as hold moisture against the wall making the paint peel. It is all a balancing act.
  • mpoulsom
    10 years ago
    I have what I call a garden shack in my backyard. It was just a plain white shack when I bought my house, like yours. It did have 2 windows on each side to begin with though. Not on the front, but on right and left sides.
    I painted the door a fun color and painted the building dark brown (which is the trim color of my house.) Planted 2 jasmines on each side of the door ( to climb up on trellis/walls), and some bulbs, 2 rose bushes, some lavender and sage around the front. Added a flag pole to the right top side and have a flag waving. Rosemary on the right side and tree. Had some old brick that we laid down coming out from the door for a small pathway up to the shack. Looks VERY cute!
    Beth thanked mpoulsom
  • mpoulsom
    10 years ago
    yes beth...i found a lot of pics putting "garden shed" in the photos search box!
    you may see something inspiring there. :)
    Beth thanked mpoulsom
  • weathervanes
    10 years ago
    Garden shed with a cupola on the roof with be a nice accent.
  • mpoulsom
    10 years ago
    here are the before and afters of my garden shack! still need to replace door.... :)
  • Beth
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Now that's a transformation!
  • fredm51
    10 years ago
    Adding windows to a concrete building is not a normal DIY project like wood would be. You have to cut out the hole with a large cement saw with water attached to keep the dust down. Put up a metal support to hold the blocks above the window from falling. It would take a weekend for 2 men to finish. Plus the cost of the windows you could buy a new shed. Adding a dormer or skylight would be cheaper.
  • mpoulsom
    10 years ago
    well she could just decorate it with fake windows???? If she wants a window at all. She can get an old wooden window frame, place a mirror behind it and hang it from the eave from chains. But I think a trellis on each side of the door would be just as pretty! Get a beautiful flowering vine for them! You have millions of options to make this building attractive!
  • mpoulsom
    10 years ago
    beth...you should see what I did to this shack last christmas....i turned it into a gingerbread house! it was adorable!! ;)