Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lauren_woodworth

Can i fit barstools at the island??

Lauren Woodworth
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi All! This is such a common questions, I know! I have read the NKBA recommendations, but I am stumped bc we have a pantry opening behind the barstools and it is a walkway. I love the idea of barstools at our island, but with a narrow U-shaped kitchen, maybe I am trying to fit too much into the space. We have 3 kiddos, so definitely want 3 seats or no seats and just leave it as an island! In the current layout, the 30" wide pantry would have pullouts and be located to the right of the fridge. My main worry is that when kids are sitting at the island for breakfast and we have the fridge and pantry opening a ton for packing lunch boxes, is it going to feel too tight? Also, would love feedback if any other flow issues jump out at you! Currently DW to right of sink when standing.

Comments (16)

• User
    5 years ago

You'd be better with a peninsula than an island. Especially if you want seating. The range is oversized for the scale of the kitchen. It will also require ventilation and make up air that costs as much as it does, or more. You had better plans in previous versions. Why did you end up with that barrier island?

Lauren Woodworth thanked User
  • K R
    5 years ago
    I think for kid seating you’ll be fine. Just don’t buy huge barstools, buy the ones like the drawing, backless and can be tucked in. You can always remove them during holidays and things like that where you’re in the kitchen a lot. I only have 42” between my range and island, and it is fine. No space issues. I’m not dancing around in my kitchen and I’d much prefer an island than a peninsula. I saw a model of my house that opted for the peninsula instead of an island and it was so obtrusive and just an ugly looking kitchen.
    Lauren Woodworth thanked K R
  • Lauren Woodworth
    Original Author
    5 years ago

cpartist we have been through every rendition! The peninsula actually cuts the space in half- we tried it coming out on the wall where the pantry is and it creates such a small feeling space. We have large gatherings often and we use the island for a serving space and all gather around it. The peninsula on the wall by the door means I am walking totally around it to bring things to and from the table, which is a constant during meals for a family of 5.

livewireoak see pic below:

I wish we didnt have such a large range, but we couldn't find a way to fit in a double oven without it being stacked to the far left of the cooktop and it puts a "walled off" feeling over by the door. I really want a double oven and not sure how else to fit it. Considered doing a convection in the island so it could be an oven/MW but we use our MW often and I would prefer them separate. We were planning on induction but worried bc family member has a pacemaker and heard it could possibly interfere.

Karenrose thank you for your input! I am trying to plan for when our little kids become big kids and I just don't want the space to feel cramped (so that I am saying "Can you scoot in?" all the time!).

• zimmer
    5 years ago
    Just get nice sturdy stools that are backless so you can push them under the island when not in use. Something with heft so your little ones can’t tip them over.
    Lauren Woodworth thanked zimmer
  • Lauren Woodworth
    Original Author
    5 years ago

zimmer- that is the plan currently!

• emilyam819
    5 years ago

Looks tight between the end bar stool and table/chair.

Can’t you open to the dining room as suggested in your previous thread? Flow is so important.

• cpartist
    5 years ago

cpartist we have been through every rendition! The peninsula actually cuts the space in half- we tried it coming out on the wall where the pantry is and it creates such a small feeling space. We have large gatherings often and we use the island for a serving space and all gather around it. The peninsula on the wall by the door means I am walking totally around it to bring things to and from the table, which is a constant during meals for a family of 5.

Except I NEVER said to do a peninsula! I said to do an L shaped perimeter with an island.

• Lauren Woodworth
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Emilyam819- I loved that idea! We did explore it, but our dining room only has 1 full wall and that doorway/opening would be smack in the center, right where the artwork is. Honestly, it is just around the corner from the kitchen and I felt like it wouldnt aid with "cutting through" for access to the front door because I would have to circle around the whole table. Just didnt know if sacrificing a really clean/pretty space was worth it? Ill take all your thoughts though!

• Lauren Woodworth
    Original Author
    5 years ago

cpartist! You're right, I confused your comment with another. I think we would lose the wall space that would allow for or a double oven, pantry, fridge, with only having the L shape? I suppose if I looked at making the doorway open to the dining room, I could play off the rendition below where you can walk past the fridge into the dining room, but he has an entire pantry wall behind the bar stools. So if it was an L shape and we enlarged the island to remove the pantry, can't see how we would even find space for a pantry?

• Lauren Woodworth
    Original Author
    5 years ago

current floor plan to show dining room proximity

• felizlady
    5 years ago
    The table is close enough that you can keep an eye on the kids sitting at the table. Putting kids on stools means constantly pushing the stools back under the counter because the kids won’t remember to do it. Kids on stools will block the walkway and the pantry. Adult guests will perch on the stools while visiting with you in the kitchen, and they will be MORE in the way than the kids would be! An island without an overhang and stools can have more storage, and that storage will be more easily accessible.
    Lauren Woodworth thanked felizlady
  • Lauren Woodworth
    Original Author
    5 years ago

felizlady initially we did layouts with no barstools bc we don't have them to start with, but we notice people pull up chairs or lean on the counter like they want to sit so we thought we would try to fit them in! Your reasoning is why I am so torn! Barstools are convenient often, but the possible inconvenience is huge during gatherings.

• Lauren Woodworth
    Original Author
    5 years ago

So, maybe the fix to all of this (if we really don't consider opening to dining room) is do a 36" gas range with single oven, then do a combi steam oven (smaller size with reservoir) in the island and then maybe just nix the barstool seating? We would open our walkways and get rid of the oversized range.

• zimmer
    5 years ago
    Get the bar stools and try them out. Obviously it sounds like you will use them if family and friends pull up a chair from elsewhere. It also sounds like you are suffering from design paralysis (we all do) and fear making any choices. I have had islands with no seating and islands with. I personally like islands with seating- even just 2. Use some painters tape to ‘draw’ the island and stools on the floor it will give you a better visual of any clearance issues. It really helps I promise.
  • Lauren Woodworth
    Original Author
    5 years ago

We got out cardboard and made a new island to lay on our current one. Then tried to put boxes to simulate the cabinetry. It helps but I am still paralyzed! Ha! Mostly over the oven location and barstool option. Ideally I would want them, but I hate clutter/crowded spaces. Thanks zimmer!