Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikerno_1micha

Fragrant flowers for February, 2019! What do you have to show us?

myermike_1micha
5 years ago

Well, we are getting much closer to spring and now the days are getting longer, thank God. Are any of your fragrant plants responding? What do you have to share? Please, let see your pictures!

Mike

Comments (12)

• michaelspokane
    5 years ago

It won't be long!

Michelia alba buds! I'm going to Gaiser Conservatory in Manito Park today to see what's up there. I trust they've discarded the pointsettias by now!

myermike_1micha thanked michaelspokane
  • myermike_1micha
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Mike, wow. Let me see if I can take a few photos of what I have and I will be back. I think I took a couple ysterday in fact and one today. I can't believe that conservatory. I'd be there quite often if it was that close to my house. I would even ask them to hold a couple of my bigger trees. Love that place. It must be so nice to escape to.

I can't believe you have things popping out of the ground too. I wish I did. Maybe another month from now and keeping my fingers crossed. Thank you)

Here you go. Not sure of the name of this one. I’ll have to check the label but wow what a sweet smell!

Little stars Oncidium

Citrus blossoms

I forget the name again.lol

I wil have more for you all tomorrow. Mike, my Michelia is about to bloom again too! I have the 'winter sweet' shrub, and winter honey suckle yet to awaken and I can't wait))

• sabut
    5 years ago

My pure yellow Wintersweet is finally blooming for the first time. Only one flower this year, but I read it is their typical thing. Hope to see a lot more flowers next winter

• Elena
    5 years ago

The evergreen clematis is blooming! The fragrance is a bit subdued this year because it's been quite cold.

myermike_1micha thanked Elena
  • Elena
    5 years ago

I just realized you were looking for house plants, which the clematis is most definitely not. Oh well! It still makes me smile. Perhaps it will spread some cheer.

• myermike_1micha
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Elena, where did you see it was just for houseplants? Anything and everything fragrant is a must. Whether it be outside or inside. As long as it's fragrant, it makes the cut))) Thank you for bringing us a smile. Beauiful.

Sabut, I can't wait until mines open. Very nice. What a fragrance.

• arthurm2015
    5 years ago

Fragrant is a bit dicey! Most fragrant orchids have a lovely perfume. Not so if you have a Bulbophyllum, most have a dreadful perfume because they are pollinated by flies.

• michaelspokane
    5 years ago

My Michelia x alba is doin' it:

But though it be small, its perfume is HUGE!

• sabut
    5 years ago

Hey Mike, your Alba looks great. Mine is still pretty dormant. Do you encourage the blooming somehow?

• arthurm2015
    5 years ago

Some of those plants pictured above must have anti freeze in the sap.

If perfume is a plus, avoid Bulbophyllum beccarii—said to smell like 100 dead elephants rotting in the sun. Lol.

Buulbophyllym rothchildianum is not supposed to be that bad! I took a sniff and can only describe it as awful.

Anyway, I can only wonder at the expertise needed to grow some of those plants pictured in the posts above.

Orchids with nice perfume. Most in the Laeliinae sub-tribe. Most in the Oncidium Sub-tribe.

Specials.

Brassavola nodosa. Gorgeous. Perfumed at night.

Oncidium Sharry Baby. Gorgeous

Stanhopea tigrina. Blooms only last a few days. Mountains of perfume. Some say too much perfume.

• michaelspokane
    5 years ago

Sabut, the Michelia lives in this room:

It is a nook, off the kitchen. The window faces west, and directly across is an east facing window which looks onto a patio. Neither window is particularly bright because of trees, thus the lights. The two fixtures are for the benefit of a stephanotis and Arabian jasmine (Monrovia's 'Summer Soul'). The light bathing the room comes from two 300w equivalent LED daylight spectrum floodlights in the ceiling, which are on from 7AM to 11PM, or when I go to bed.

To the left of the alba is a Michelia champaca, which I hope to use as an understock for blooming age champaca wood. I'm on the hunt for a tree on Maui to collect from. If I can't find one, I'll use it as understock for the alba. At the bottom of the picture you can see a few leaves of another alba which is getting busy, too. And at the extreme left are a few leaves of a dwarf Singapore Pink plumeria. Between the fan and the alba on the table are some small bottles. They are essential oils of Michelia champaca, Michelia x alba, alba leaf (an amazeballs fragrance in its own right), ylang-ylang, and Spanish jasmine (Jasminum grandiflorum). They are my "binkies" when the real deals aren't available.

The essential oils help a lot. But there is a difference between sniffing the oil and sniffing the flower. It's like seeing an outfit on a mannequin, and seeing the outfit on a real person. There is a lack of 'soul'.

But back to the question you posed about encouraging bloom. These plants haven't a clue what month it really is. To them, with 17 hour days, it's June!