Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debhpgh

A True Design Dilemma

deb
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi Houzzers,

I would like to convert a powder room into a full bath (small shower only added) AND with a separated, enclosed, ventilated, and adjacent area which houses two kittie litter boxes. The area is in a finished basement, see photos. The distance from the right door jamb to the right corner is 7 feet (second photo), and that area extends into the room by 4 feet. (This area encloses the current powder room.) The recessed area has a length from the left corner to the end of the sloped wall of 6 feet (first photo). Ceiling height is 7 feet. The third photo is of the powder room, with toilet and sink; the doorway on the left leads to the furnace area, there is no room to expand there. The powder room door (fourth photo) is on its left, and opens from a laundry area. There is nowhere to expand into the laundry area. I am not concerned about how much area is lost in the basement area.

My goal is to be able (1) to list the house as having two full baths should I decide to sell, and (2) be able to use the basement area without the 'distraction' of exposed litter boxes.

Thanks, as always, for your help!

deb

Comments (12)

• mvcanada
    5 years ago

Hi,

I think you'll need to post a measured floor plan in order for people to be able to offer some advice.

On first glance, I see the litter boxes are beside the stairs. What if you hollowed out the area under the stairs to the basement so that the litter boxes could be in that area? Even if they were recessed and not necessarily enclosed it would help with your traffic flow and make them less noticeable.

Another option would be to buy a furniture piece made to disguise litter boxes. Like this one

Litter Box Cabinet.

Of course, that doesn't solve your issue of wanting to add the shower to the powder room, but if your plans don't have to take the litter boxes into account, I have to assume that adding a shower will become easier to plan and find space for.

• deb
    Original Author
    5 years ago

thanks! I checked out the link to Wayfair...had no idea there were so many litter box concealers available! I've thought about that, but waiting to get an option where it can be ventilated. You are correct abt doing the shower install initially without the litter box issue for ease of design. And I'll try my hand at drawing up a floor plan.

• apple_pie_order
    5 years ago

Is the current powder room ventilated to the outside?

• deb
    Original Author
    5 years ago

it's not ventilated to the outside, but to some unknown area above the ceiling.

• apple_pie_order
    5 years ago

You'll need to ventilate to the outside when you add the shower. Talk to a contractor onsite to see how that can be done.

• deb
    Original Author
    5 years ago

makes sense. thank you!

• enduring
    5 years ago

I don't believe what you are trying to do is considered a full bath. It would be a 3/4 bath.

• deb
    Original Author
    5 years ago

hm,; . i've never heard of a 3/4 bath

• Kirsten E.
    5 years ago
    The difference between a 3/4 bath and a full bath is shower vs. tub; very common to see that in listings in so cal. We’re adding a cat room under the basement stairs, but while it’s a cat room for us, it could just be storage for another. I wouldn’t change the space unless absolutely necessary to hide their litter boxes, but I did take advantage of an opportunity!
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

there are so many litter box options you could do.

I made one with a lift up top and a side door covered in wood. looks like a piece of furniture.

you can make your own or buy one. Ikea has a bunch of hacks you can do as well.

craigslist find.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

I destest litter boxes in bathrooms as a guest who wants to smell that smell and there are tons of place for litter boxes without adding them to a bathroom. BTW wood absorbs smell and also absorbs mistakes with aim so what ever you choose make sure the whole thing is able to be scrubbed.The logical spot iMO is the laundry room or the mechanical room. We always had ours in the furnace room with a descreet porhole in the door for access.