Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lauren_hunt5665

Help me decorate our living room!

Lauren Hunt
10 years ago
I've tried to get as many angles as I can so you can fully understand the layout.

- the tv will be hung above the fireplace.
- the painting is just leaning there for an idea.
- I would like a blue and gold color scheme- not turquoise.
- forgive me for the cluttered mess, we are still unpacking.

Comments (39)

• Lauren Hunt
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Another pic
  • Gabriela Manciulea
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    A great rug with blue and gold could be your start. If you don't want to paint the walls just add some blue/cream/gold decorative pillow and accessories . a table lamp with a wider base and wide shade, coffee table. ( i would probably have a lower accent table between your sofas) You could also paint the back of the build in bookcase with a blue paint.
    Handmade Heritage Mahal Blue/Gold Wool Rug · More Info

www.essentialsinside.com: rosignano crackled blue table lamp · More Info

Echo Lamp Calm Blue Lamp · More Info

Worlds Away Winston Gold Leafed Coffee Table · More Info

Worlds Away Wood Top And Gold Leaf Coffee Table · More Info

27-2 Tidewater Paint · More Info

Sea Salt SW6204 Paint · More Info

Agate Coasters, Azure Blue · More Info

Phillips Collection Cage collection coffe table · More Info

Manhattan Coffee Table by Jan Showers · More Info

Green-blue Geometric Pillow Cover by Motif Pillows · More Info

Auskin Ivory Sheepskin Throw Pillow · More Info

Gold pillows · More Info

Sophia Block Decorative Pillows, Gold/Sky · More Info

Alicia Adams Alpaca Solid Throw Bay Blue · More Info
  • Eileen
    10 years ago
    Just wanted to say what a beautiful room! You're furniture layout looks great. Live with the tv over the fireplace before you hang it to make sure it's not too high. If it is, you may want to put it on the shelf to the right and hang your art over the fireplace. You may even be able to see the tv on shelf better from the kitchen. Either way, looks like you've got great taste!
  • sheryl N
    10 years ago
    This is so similar to my home and I have used blue and cream, be careful with blue, use it as an accessory color, not on the walls. I would suggest you invest in a good persian rug, they are beautiful and quite durable and will work in your color scheme and furniture style. Also, you might use wallpaper as a back spash on your bookshelves. It's cheap, easy and looks fantastic. Measure your fireplace wall carefully when you want to hang the tv and take care that the glare from the windows doesn't interfere with viewing. Also, a beatiful glass topped coffe table would look nice. Use Blue and gold pillows, maybe a throw and some accessories/candles.
  • Lauren Hunt
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Eileen- Thank you! I just feel like I am scared of color, so I'm stuck! And thanks for the tv tip, we have actually kept our tv there for that reason- to make sure it wasn't too high. Because the book shelves are recessed, we can't see the tv from the kitchen if not above fire place.
  • Lauren Hunt
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Beyondframes- thanks for the suggestions! I fell in love with the look of the sleek, gold coffee table you suggested, but not in love with the price! :) I am searching for something more budget friendly! Before I purchase a rug, I would love to add drapes for a pop of color and pattern. They don't have to close, because I will probably never use them, and I would probably prefer something not too heavy. Any ideas?
    I'm liking some geometric patterns, but like a combo of contemporary and traditional decor.
  • Gabriela Manciulea
    10 years ago
    I know they are pricey , I just make suggestions to have a visual idea of what could work in your beautiful living room. I would go hunting many stores for similar objects starting with the coffee and ending with throw pillows.
    to be honest I'd buy the rug first and then the drapes
    Or choose a rug and try to find drapes that you love before actually buying .
    Tufted ottomans could also be an option to consider
    Storage Ottomans & Bed Benches · More Info

Kent Leather Ottoman · More Info
  • Lauren Hunt
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Sheryl n- that sounds right up my alley! Do you have any wall paper to suggest? I have seen this done tasteful and tacky- and I don't want mine to be tacky!
    And i hate to admit this, but I'm scared to invest in an expensive rug so my little blind dogs can potty, vomit, and drag their butts on it. I am okay investing in nice furniture, just not an expensive rug..
  • Gabriela Manciulea
    10 years ago
    How do you feel about a sisal rug?
    Color-bound Sisal Rug, Metal Gray · More Info

Handmade Alexa Eco Natural Fiber Cotton Border Sisal Rug · More Info

Marquee Shimmering Faux Silk Pinch Pleat Drape · More Info

Window Blinds · More Info

Champagne Animal Woven · More Info

Blue Wallpaper · More Info

Haruki Light Blue Grass Cloth Wallpaper · More Info
  • Lauren Hunt
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Love the grass cloth wall paper.. Do you think solid wallpaper, not a pattern? Love the sisal rugs.. Should the rug have the fabric border, and if so, brown? Tan? Or no border? I will try to make a rug purchase tomorrow and maybe get some pictures of the updates.
  • Gabriela Manciulea
    10 years ago
    Grass cloth wallpaper is one of my favorites because it adds subtle texture and its a nice background for displaying decorative objects without having to worry that they might compete .
    Not sure if the border would matter much - if it's beige goes with the color palette or is almost invisible being very similar to the sisal rug. If it's brown blends with your floors.
  • Gabriela Manciulea
    10 years ago
    Other rug options could be a bamboo rug
    or indoor-outdoor rugs
    http://www.ballarddesigns.com/geneve-indoor-2foutdoor-rug/209401?listIndex=36
    Camden Bamboo Rug 4-feet by 6-feet · More Info

Poolside Beige/Dark Beige Indoor/Outdoor Rug · More Info
  • Nancy Walton
    10 years ago
    I think an Ikat fabric would look great in the room, and I would get a sisal rug with navy border.
  • Valerie Whittington
    10 years ago
    The window is beautiful... don't block it. Add Paint for contrast and lots of color. looks kinda boring.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    The tv just looks high right there, but I might be wrong since I am not sitting on your couch. I do love the idea of putting it on a shelf to the left and putting the beautiful painting on the fireplace. THAT piece makes your room and you can totally decorate around that.
  • anne dee
    10 years ago
    www.myplumdesign.com · More Info

Classic Family Home · More Info

Project in Tiburon · More Info

Ellen Grasso Inc · More Info

inspiration pics for ideas?
  • Lauren Hunt
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I love ikat, and hope to incorporate a pillow or 2 in the living room but wanted you guys to see the dining room chair fabric.
    It is more of a gold, grey, and denim navy, not so orange. The dining area is connected to the living room so they should probably go together.

I love the rug you suggested from overstock BeyondFrames, but can not find it.

I'm thinking a rug with color would be great.. But what size do I order? And where should is stop or start under my furniture? Should it go to the edge of the fireplace? I will post some rugs I like if you guys want to share your opinions so I can order something! :)
    Love the inspiration photos! Great style!
  • Lauren Hunt
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Which ones do yall like?
  • Lauren Hunt
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Last 1
  • PRO
    Window World of Colorado
    10 years ago
    I like the first one, the one with the black, yellow and green. Ps my name is Lauren Hunt too, so you can trust my opinion : )
  • Lauren Hunt
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Small world! I do like that rug.. But it is blue and cream. Lol!
  • saya85
    10 years ago
    I love this look
    http://houzz.com/photos/1253583
    And really think you could carry it off. You have a beautifully lit big room, with all the right architectural detailing and proportion and windows... I would go bold and paint the walls blue!
    That way every bit of furniture or accessory you buy will pop!
    You have such beautiful pieces anyway, and your sofas are cream ( otherwise I would have bought blue sofas etc)
    I would def do blinds not curtains- think earlier pics showed that well. And a sisal rug or the Ballard design one would go really nicely.
    The painting and the metal stand its on are beautiful and should def be your starting point for the test of design.

P.s you went so bold in your dining room that your living room has to be painted to compete!

I would link it in with the ikat print cushions in blue and lots of pieces of dark wood- coffee table/metal stand/ lamp bases etc I love one of the first pics of a wide table lamp in blue stone?
  • saya85
    10 years ago
    Or you could paint the window wall blue only? And wallpaper shelves
    http://houzz.com/photos/23827
    Could even do toile if you want it mor French/feminine
  • saya85
    10 years ago
    P.s your room and furniture do look great!
    ( and if that's your idea of a 'cluttered mess' I'd hate for you to see my room this minute!)
  • Lauren Hunt
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for the ideas! I do not want to paint anything else, we just bought and renovated this entire house.. I am interested in wallpapering my bookshelves to add some color but want to find a rug first for a starting point.. I am thinking I want a colored more contemporary rug.. Just would like opinions.
  • saya85
    10 years ago
    Ahh well that clarifies things. I thought it was just a blank canvas!
    In that case I would def do blue on the rug cushions blinds and shelves.
    But keep the coffee table /ottomans dark woods/ browns to complement the metal stand and link in with dining room
  • saya85
    10 years ago
    This style would work well in that it has a pattern but not overpowering
    http://houzz.com/photos/131082
    Think u had similar ones above... I would be careful about having very strong shades / striking abstract prints on the rug... I would leave that for accessories and cushions
  • Gabriela Manciulea
    10 years ago
    The patterned indoor-outdoor rug is the one you cannot find or the sisal?

For the dinning room I would choose a simple rug, sisal or similar - I like the 4th from the pics you posted. The size should be chosen so that when you pull the chair from the table the back legs still sit on the rug
  • Lauren Hunt
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I found it, but not in 8 x10
  • Gabriela Manciulea
    10 years ago
    Oh. I'm not sure why but I cannot access Overstock -it shows me an error for the entire site
  • PRO
    Stanton Designs-online design services
    10 years ago
    What a great space that is. I would love to have all those windows. That art piece is a great inspiration for your space and will be a great focal point.
  • PRO
    Blinds Direct Canada
    10 years ago
    Flat Roman shades would look absolutely amazing in this space !!!

http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/blinds-toronto/shades-toronto/roman-blinds.html
  • Gabriela Manciulea
    10 years ago
    I just read some reviews about how sisal rugs and pets go together and it looks like they don't. , especially in your case when this is a main concern for you
    Given this I'd probably choose an outdoor - indoor rug
  • Gabriela Manciulea
    10 years ago
    Onekingslane is having a sale on wallpaper and there is a light blue grass cloth
    https://www.onekingslane.com/sales/24169