Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
troutguy5

Great room needs "greatness", pizzazz in new house

Jeff Smith
5 years ago

LR in new house has come out sort of boring. Needs color or something, eh?

What is shown below is cobbled together from our former place.

For an idea of scale the kilim is 9' x 12'.

Comments (19)

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

Your picture didn't come through. Try adding it in a comment. Sometimes the site is glitchy.

Jeff Smith thanked tartanmeup
  • Jeff Smith
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Pics not coming through, I'll try in comment, thanks tartanmeup.

• Jeff Smith
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Another view of same room...

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

What a fantastic looking space! I think the colours are fine. What's missing is furniture. Only one armchair? I'd consider a much larger rug, a sofa (or two) and an armchair (or two). I'm sure you have the space to set up a nice conversation grouping. Heck, a sectional might even work in this space. :) How about a piece of art on the wall next to that fantastic stone fireplace? If you post your room's measurements, people will be able to suggest some furniture layout options. In the meantime, I'll look for pics of layouts.

• PN _Bos
    5 years ago

Beautiful space!!!! I think your problem is that one chair looks oh so lonely. I’d put a big comfy L-shaped sectional in there.

Jeff Smith thanked PN _Bos
  • tartanmeup
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Here's one grouping idea. Taken from this site.

More seating ideas in rooms with great stone fireplaces (except for last one):

Hope this helps a bit.

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

Jeanne is right: the sofa needs to face the view! I could see a curved sofa on the right of the fireplace and two armchairs on the left of the sofa. Keep the ottomans for additional seating. So many focal points (and I don't use that concept), you can't go wrong.

• Jeff Smith
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Great ideas, I'm imagining a seating with sort of an L shape; one sofa facing fireplace & the other facing the view? The width of room from windows/doors to the kitchen island: 22'. Length from fireplace to dining room entry wall is 26'.

• Molly
    5 years ago

Great view! I love the coffee table. Are you going for a industrial look? Will there be a TV in this room or will it just be used for entertaining?

• Jeff Smith
    Original Author
    5 years ago

That's a great idea with the lodge look picture (from Molly); having TWO seating arrangements. Why have just one area when you can have two, ha ha. Maybe an arrangement facing fireplace and then another next to it (towards DR) facing view...

• Joe T.
    5 years ago

Awesome! Puts the 'great' in great room!

The room begs for art, both paintings and sculpture.

Oh, and skip the Eames and Barcelonas—I see way too many rooms with 'em.

Jeff Smith thanked Joe T.
  • PRO
    Diane Kremer, ASID CID
    5 years ago

This room needs a sofa, chair and smaller or more open coffee table. As presented, there is too much rug surrounding heavy and similiar sized furniture. A big sofa or sectional facing the great view would enhance the space.

Jeff Smith thanked Diane Kremer, ASID CID
  • Jeff Smith
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Joe T, what is " Eames and Barcelonas "?? New one for me.

• J J
    5 years ago
    following
  • drdeb1234
    5 years ago
    Fab space! I agree that all the current furniture is too similar and too block-like
  • PRO
    Color Zen
    5 years ago

A larger, super bold black & white patterned rug, layered under your current rug would look amazing (could be indoor outdoor so it's thin). You don't need much but yes a little something is missing. Also need a rug under dining table... Gorgeous taste :)

• PRO
    Diane Kremer, ASID CID
    5 years ago

toutguy5 - google Eames and Barcelonas. They are classics.

• Deb Zilch
    5 years ago
    what about a light that's large enough -- huge round, or 3 total grouped together? in natural material....or at night would you need much more bulbs?
    Jeff Smith thanked Deb Zilch