Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_325852663

Kitchen Cabinets

Ann Powell
5 years ago

Hello,

We recently purchased a house with kitchen cabinets/counters/floors we aren't fans of. Budget doesn't allow a complete renovation right now so we are considering painting / restaining the cabinets to darken them up a bit. We are changing the dining room carpet to luxury vinyl but won't redo the kitchen tile for a few years.

Any thoughts on what's the best way to calm down the color on the cabinets to make them easier to live with?

Thanks!

Comments (13)

• rantontoo
    5 years ago

Find the lightest, medium dark, and darkest colors in the countertop and try those. I would lean lighter but that’s me.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

Paint them. White, or a deep charcoal.

• K R
    5 years ago
    I agree, try a different paint color first, paint where the backsplash is as well. Painting is very pricey to have done professionally, and if you do it yourself not only is it a HUGE job, you’re setting yourself up for chipping. I painted a small guest bathroom vanity that never got used, followed all the correct steps, sanded, primed, etc., and not only was it a huge job, broken up into several days, they ended up chipping. So beware before attempting!
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

Allllllll cabinet painting is not a DIY job. It's a pro job. Conversion varnish, in a spray booth. PERIOD.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    5 years ago

If you're planning to get new cabinets down the road a few years, I see nothing wrong with a DIY paint job. It's not easy though....if you're not detail oriented or have low attention span...I wouldn't do it! LOL.

If you are not planning on getting new cabinets, then better to just live with it until you have the funds to pay someone to do it right. Get estimates now. And then you'll need to decide if you'd rather reface or replace once you get the estimates! Sometimes it makes more sense to just replace....you get all new interiors and drawer guides.

Third option is gel stain on oak cabinets...google it.

Once a very frugal customer of mine decided to keep his cabinets, have the entire layout rearranged...and added to....all new drawer guides installed, new counters...etc. By the time they were done, a new install with the cabinets would have been close to the same price.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    5 years ago

I'm with The Kitchen Place. Don't spend a ton of money re-painting/re-staining cabinets which is not an inexpensive proposition when done professionally. You're better off putting that money toward a new kitchen when you have the funds. Donate your perfectly functional cabinets to Habitat for Humanity (or similar) so they don't end up in a landfill.

• ccwatters
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Don't paint them unless it's by a professional who actually paints cabinets by trade (and go and see their customer's/reference's jobs, make sure they've held up and that you like the look)

That being said, I think if you can swing it $ , you should have them painted. And if you do, have trim, moulding and crown built up on top first (build up the cabinets by several inches). Paint and trim will make them look like brand new cabinets.

It depends on your kitchen size and going rate in your location, but painting will likely somewhere between minimum $4k-$8k. So get a coupe quotes and decide...otherwise, live with them until it fits in your budget to do so (or replace...when you do an overall renovation of floor/cabinets/appliances).

Warm neutral light paint color on wall may help the current color a bit, but those cabinets are going to flare regardless because they are a bold stain.

• rantontoo
    5 years ago

You can get Ikea cabs for the price of a proper conversion varnish paint job....maybe even painted doors from another supplier.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/barker-doors-vs-semihandmade-vs-scherrs-in-ikea-kitchen-results-dsvw-vd~5182903?n=74

• Ann Powell
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks everyone for their comments. I am heavily leaning towards having the trim, moulding and crown built up (who needs a 6 inch gap??) and using a gel stain. Fingers crossed! :D

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    5 years ago

I think using gelstain is a great compromise. It's something you can DIY and not invest a lot of money. Your kitchen might look so much better, you won't even think about replacing the cabinets for a while. Post pics here when you're done! Good luck! Kelly

• PRO
    Transitional Designs, LLC
    5 years ago

Replacing is a big expense especially if you end up wanting to redesign the configuration of your kitchen. Best to have a professional paint/spray cabinets well worth the $ and it doesn't look like the kitchen has that many. I love BM Advance satin paint for cabinets and doors. A soft color like Stone Harbor from BM and then paint the walls a warmer color as in counter top.

• User
    5 years ago

Wanted to post a pic of our cabs after gel stain. We has the same orange color as yours and hated it, we love them now and it was much easier than painting! did that at last house, never again...