Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stefan_wetscher

How would you change this kitchen layout?

stefan wetscher
5 years ago

My wife and I bought a new build cookie cutter home from a builder. We will need to go to the design center in the near future to make changes/upgrades. I am just wondering how you experts might change the kitchen.

One picture is the actual floor plan as is (no changes). The other picture is an available upgraded layout.

Both options don't have an island but I want and island 100%. I really appreciate any feedback :)

Comments (21)

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    5 years ago

Take the upgrade. You very likely will not have any other choices.

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    5 years ago

You currently have the best layout for the space. It doesn't seem like you'd have room to add an island unless it was a small one, which would be pointless. If you lost what I assume is a slider in the eat-in space you'd have more options.

• Kristin S
    5 years ago

How much freedom do you have to make changes? And are you willing to forego an eat-in kitchen, given the dining room is right there? If so, you'd have a lot more options if you moved the sliding door over to the great room (or even replaced it with a single door set as far to the right as that wall allows) and made the entire kitchen space kitchen.

• damiarain
    5 years ago

Since neither option includes an island, it seems unlikely you'll get one. Do you know if you can make substantial changes (ie options mentioned above like integrating the eat-in kitchen?)

If choosing between these two options, #1 is a non-starter - the DW is across the kitchen from the sink. For both, I would be concerned that the fridge is jammed into the corner (how do you fully open it to i.e. remove the crisper drawers??)

• chispa
    5 years ago

Look up "fridge against the wall" problems on this forum.

There needs to be enough space between the fridge and wall so that you can actually open the fridge door enough and be able to remove any drawers. Also you will worry about banging the fridge door against a wall for years to come. One of the main reasons I remodeled my kitchen was to remove a fridge from a corner.

Wait ... that first floor plan show the dishwasher next to the fridge ... across the isle from the sink?

• PRO
    Mary Porzelt of Boston Kitchen Designs
    5 years ago

Instead of doing a peninsula you could extend the cabinets the length of the wall to the wall with the slider. If so I would probably put the sink where the range is and put the range a few feet to the right of it. An island would then fit running parallel to the sink/range wall. This would give you an L shaped kitchen with an island.

• chispa
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

It sounds like you signed a contract already? Unfortunately with these production builders the only time you have leverage to make real changes to a floor plan is before you sign a contract. Once you sign, you give away any power you have in the deal ...

• Cheryl Smith
    5 years ago

Neither..... L shaped with cabinets along whole back wall. island parallel with stool seating on side toward dining. Moss Wong has it right. Or 2 if not an option because of storage.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    5 years ago

• dan1888
    5 years ago

Well you got a good price on the house. I'd consider getting a separate contractor to do the kitchen. See if you can get a price reduction for deleting all the cabinets and appliances.

• rantontoo
    5 years ago

You need to be mindful of aisle widths in an island design: 42” one-person/48” two person kitchen. What you posted as options...yuck due to eat-in kitchen when dining area is so close. You can do much better for a layout then the options....question is will the builder let you even if you pay the difference?

• mcoledesign
    5 years ago

You have options but need to be cautious of clearances

• cpartist
    5 years ago

Your aisles won't be wide enough for an island. Plus if you've already signed the contract with the production builder, any changes, if allowed to do what you want, will cost you double the price it would cost to do it on your own.

Production builders make their money on getting you to upgrade and make changes and then they charge you double what it would normally cost.

And when you go to sell, you won't wind up being able to get a better price because the price of the house will be based on all the other homes in the neighborhood.

• Karenseb
    5 years ago

Could you run the peninsula on the dining room side? Fridge near sliding glass door with pantry cab to the right.

Or could you move the peninsula closer to the back door allowing for bar stool space still. Then your U space would be more spacious. Unfortunately, that may limit what cabinets fit in the corners.

Or you could do the L and find a narrow roll-able island to fit the space.

• Buehl
    5 years ago

If this is a production builder, then you may not be able to make substantive changes w/o paying a hefty change order fee (as already mentioned above). If you're really unhappy with the Kitchen, then maybe you should take all the basic/cheapest options and then, once you've taken possession of the home, hire someone to re-do the Kitchen the way you want it -- assuming what you want is possible given the available space.

Some things are required for occupancy, so IF you can eliminate all non-required items and get money credited back for them (as Dan suggested), then that's an option as well...but you probably won't be able to live comfortably in it while you work on planning the redo of the Kitchen.

Ask yourself:

Do you need to move in immediately?

Will you have enough additional money to re-do the Kitchen after you finalize the purchase of your home? You'll probably need new cabinets, counters, and, possibly, floor and appliances. $50K, maybe? (Depending on where you live, of course!)

Regarding an island...Yes, islands are all the rage right now. However, cramming one in where it won't fit is just asking for trouble later. Instead, plan for the most functional Kitchen you can get -- you won't regret it!

[I also really, really wanted an island, but in the end the good folks on the Kitchens Forum made me realize that one would not fit in my 11'D Kitchen. I have never regretted not getting one! In fact, my neighbor crammed one in her Kitchen (the same depth as mine) and, when I saw how it turned out, I was so very grateful to everyone here -- her Kitchen looked (and is) very cramped.]

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    5 years ago

man, I learn so much on this site!

• Buehl
    5 years ago

Here's an idea, assuming (1) you can make such drastic changes without too much added cost --OR-- (2) you decide to redo the Kitchen after you take possession of the house.

• Note that the opening b/w the Kitchen and Dining Room allowed for an island with seating.
    • Don't skimp on aisle space around the island. Especially b/w the range wall and island and b/w the sliding door and island.
    • Unfortunately, the island cannot be wide enough to allow for a prep sink and have enough prep space. (And, there is definitely not enough room for a Cleanup Zone on the island!)
    • For the sliding door -- ideally, the side that slides open should be on the right.
    • The tall pullout pantry cabinet b/w the refrigerator and wall provides adequate space so the refrigerator doors can all open fully for ease of access & cleaning as well as eliminate the risk of an open refrigerator door hitting the sliding door.
    • Note that the counter and cabinets on the sink wall are 3" deeper than standard -- that allows you to have more "face room" in front of the sink as well as gives you more work room and storage. Counter is 28.5"D; base cabinets are 27"D, and upper cabinets are 15"D.
    • You actually have plenty of space to add another 1.5" -- so 30"D counters. But don't make them any deeper since most people cannot easily reach any farther than 30" for cleaning.
    • If you have a longer Dining Room Table, push it out toward the right. You need the 71" or so to allow seating at the table and island at the same time and still have room for traffic to pass b/w them. This is especially important b/c of the location of the Mudroom/Powder Room door.
    • The range is on an exterior wall to make venting much easier (and less expensive).
    • Cleanup Zone & Dish Storage are close to the Dining Room so it will be easy to set the table without getting in the way of those preparing a meal. It's also easy to clear the table -- a straight shot to the sink without having to maneuver around the island.
    • The refrigerator and MW drawer are located so people can get snacks, drinks, etc., without getting in the way of those preparing a meal. It's also close to the Dining Room, Great Room, and outside and access to/from all those spaces is also easy without getting in the way of the cooks or having to maneuver around the island.

[Select/Click on image to see larger version.]

Zone Map:

• stefan wetscher
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Holy smokes everyone thank you so so so very much for all your informative feedback I really appreciate the time you all took to help us out. You are all extremely generous.

I hope you all have a great day :)

• lyfia
    5 years ago

Sorry this is a little off topic, but is anybody else stricken by the sneakiness of this builder and sort of forcing you to do an upgrade if you want the DW to be in the natural spot for any kitchen which is next to the sink.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    5 years ago

I think that builder needs to take some design classes. As many have mentioned, you probably won't be permitted to change the layout without significant cost overruns, but this would be a more efficient layout, and it would accommodate a nicely sized island--72" x 42".