Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenaryl

What would you do... with this exterior?

jenaryl
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

"What would you do...with this exterior".

Background/Context

Full home remodel with addition in rear. Currently a spanish/mediterranean ranch with Stucco walls. Will be departing from this because new roof will be asphalt shingles (cost effective). Keeping existing white windows (would have loved to get black but not in budget). Hard to see but there are 2 arches by front porch by front door. Garage door is more prominent versus front door. Pavers will remain. Interior theme is transitional with a slant towards spanish modern.

Questions:

• What color roof shingles?
  • What color exterior paint combinations?
  • What color front door?
  • Keep existing white garage or replace with a wooden?
  • Any other suggestions to improve curb appeal (landscaping?)?

Please provide example pictures/links when possible. Much appreciated and please be on the lookout for more "What would you do...".

Comments (10)

• housegal200
    5 years ago

Here are some additional Spanish style homes to show different color options. Do consider hiring a landscape designer to take the landscaping up a notch. Landscaping and house/roof colors should harmonize. Does the roof need replacing? If not, then devote the budget to landscaping and possibly a beautiful Spanish style wooden garage door.

jenaryl thanked housegal200
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

Why are you replacing a tile roof? I think we need to know a bit more about what you actually want to do with this exterior.

jenaryl thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • houssaon
    5 years ago

Do you HAVE to replace the tile roof. I would keep it, if you only have to replace or add to the back. Then I would get the same color in asphalt. Love the creamy whites and yellows with that roof.

jenaryl thanked houssaon
  • K Laurence
    5 years ago

Other than the suggestions noted above I think revamping the landscaping would make the most dramatic difference. it appears that your climate could handle a Mediterranean landscape look. I’d start by having everything removed except the palm tree & hire a landscape designer to draw up a plan. While having the house painted I would remove the shelf (s) under the windows, those rarely look good.

jenaryl thanked K Laurence
  • Debbie Downer
    5 years ago

I too have to ask why you would replace a durable (and repairable) tile roof and downgrade to an asphalt roof What would I do- research Spanish style and stick to that as much as possible - however please note that that will still give you considerable leeway in choosing colors you like. Seems like a lot of them are white or gold with earthy tiled roof + 3rd color for windows/doors. Do your windows need replacing? Swap them out for windows with grids (as in the pics above)

jenaryl thanked Debbie Downer
  • kmg11
    5 years ago

A cream exterior with the tile roof is very appropriate for this style. From your photos the roof looks to be in good condition. Are you wanting to change it because of the addition being put on? What you have now is in keeping with the character and gives the home charm.

The stark white garage door and white window trim, as others commented, is throwing it off. A wood type garage door would look nice along with a darker trim.

Agree about landscaping, it will definitely soften all the hardscape. The area below the larger window on the right needs some plantings, maybe even a window box too. On the opposite side, the shrubs beneath the covered porch look off to me, (same with the lone tall one by garage.) I would want to remove them to create a more open area to sit. If it can be done, maybe move them further out in a landscaped area. This could help disguise what looks to be the water hose location.

As far as the front door, if it's wood now you could leave as is if doing the same for garage. Add some colorful pots to frame the entry. :)

jenaryl thanked kmg11
  • inabunker
    5 years ago

Totally agree with a wood garage door, don't replace the tile roof and paint the house a cream color. The columns in the entry could be rough hewn looking to match a rough hewn garage door. You will save tons on not replacing the roof which would have been around $12-14,000. A little Mediterranean landscaping and voila, your house will look amazing.

jenaryl thanked inabunker
  • jenaryl
    Original Author
    5 years ago

"What would you do...with this exterior".

First off. Thanks to everyone for replying. All the tips and suggestions have been noted and are much appreciated. I’m going to try to consolidate responses to questions here and add additional context to help:

• Roof — Yes it must be replaced. Very difficult to match and find. Also, the addition is not concealed to the back. See before and after elevation images below. The upper part of the roof is new. Rough estimate to upgrade from asphalt to light weight S tile is $10-15K because concrete S tile weight would require additional structural upgrades.
    • Color Consultant — hopefully will not need that by leveraging the Houzz community
    • Windows -- will only be new in the back where the addition and remodel impacts the house more. Will replace front windows over time but not necessary and in scope/budget.

Finally, with this additional context, I’m going to close how we started. Thanks again in advance!

Questions:

• What color roof shingles?
    • What color exterior paint combinations?
    • What color front door?
    • Keep existing white garage or replace with a wooden?
    • Any other suggestions to improve curb appeal (landscaping?)?

Please provide example pictures/links when possible. Much appreciated and please be on the lookout for more "What would you do...".

• kmg11
    5 years ago

From your new front elevation, the roof looks a bit odd to me. You could also post this in 'building a home forum' for other eyes to take a look.

Since this is currently a spanish/mediterranean ranch, by removing the roof tiles it leans more just ranch. So to answer the questions about color and roof, I would say it's personal preference. For me, I prefer light shades of stucco versus anything dark. Considering the garage door, I like it to blend in, whether that be the paint color of the house or a shade darker. Paint the front door a pretty accent color so it's the focus. I think if doing a wood garage door, I would also opt for a wood front door.