Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mlb418

Kitchen layout options

mlb418
5 years ago

We have what one poster called "the weird thing of the week" when I posted previously for advice. See our (very messy) kitchen with the soon to be removed stone column:

After some exploratory holes and commencing work on the bathroom above our kitchen, we have confirmed that we will be able to remove this crazy column from our kitchen. I have posted before about advice for how to design around this column, but now we get to figure out how to layout the kitchen without the column! It's a small kitchen, and so dysfunctional now that anything we do is going to be an improvement. The wall that you see in the pictures/layouts cannot move, and the stairs to the basement are on the other side of it. The front door opens into this room, and it is where we eat - both casual family meals and holiday meals with extended family (we have a collapsible table we use for larger dinners). We use a banquette with a round table, which is what you see in the layout photos. We do not care to have seating at the peninsula.

We know we want to move the refrigerator (and we will also switch to a counter depth) and move the range and hood to the back wall. I don't think there is any good way to do that without losing the window that is in first picture. We are debating between leaving the sink where it is under the window or moving it to the peninsula. We've come up with three potential layouts, and I'd love comments on them. These are rough layouts that I did in the Ikea planner. Yes, we are working with a professional, and two of the layouts are actually hers, but I wanted to see them in 3D and be able to play around a bit.

Layout #1 - keep the sink where it is and have a large prep area on the peninsula

Layout #2 - move the sink to the peninsula. I am leaning toward moving the sink and dishwasher, as I think it leads to a more functional layout. A little wary though because we are messy!

Layout #3 - a variation of number 2, where we move the wall oven away from the refrigerator. I like the idea of breaking up the tall cabinets and I think it is better function for both the refrigerator and oven to have a counter/landing space right next to it. I think I would put some shelving in the open space on the wall as that area is right across from the dishwasher and would make for easy emptying.

So those are the options we are faced with. Which would you pick? Any option we or the designer missed?

Comments (15)

• mlb418
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Bump? No thoughts? Did I make my post too long?
  • mlb418
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    No one has thoughts on these layouts? I’d really appreciate some feedback as we need to get these cabinets ordered. Help please!!
  • Kim Weaver
    5 years ago
    I would not want the sink in the island. My sink is the messiest place in the kitchen.
  • mlb418
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @Kim Weaver, I am thinking to have a two,tier island to help with the mess issue. But the way the room is, the sink by the window is not that much more hidden, and I think an open peninsula surface would attract clutter as well (just not dirty dishes clutter)
  • sarahachevalier
    5 years ago

Hi Mlb. Does the wall have to stay? Seems to me that it is cutting into the island layout... if the short counter run will not be accessed from the other side of the wall, would it make sense to consider a peninsula instead to increase storage and counter space?

Of the three layouts you posted, I like #1 the best with the addition of a prep sink.

I don't think a two-tiered island will help with clutter. My suggestion would be to make a list of everything that will go into your new kitchen and make sure everything has a place. If there isn't enough storage, then either: (1) get rid of things you don't use and don't need, and//or (2) revise the layout until you find a spot for everything.

Good luck with your project!

• biondanonima (Zone 7a Hudson Valley)
    5 years ago

This is a really tough space! Are the overhead drawings to scale? If so, it looks like you have a pinch point on the left, between the short end of your L and the end of the central wall. I saw in your original post that there are stairs on the left side of that central wall - do you need to be able to access them from the kitchen? It is impossible to tell how things are currently oriented from your photos.

Anyway, I don't love the idea of the sink on the island in your situation because of the way your island plays such a big role in your eating area. Is it possible to swap the location of the stove and sink in layout 1? I know you'd have to lose that window, but it sounds like you're going to lose one anyway by moving the stove to the back wall. That would give you better workflow (ice-water-stone-fire).

• Deep Houzz
    5 years ago

Hello, maybe with a range you can spare the oven/micro cabinet and put the MW in a wall cabinet and win counter space and a cleaner look.

Also make the island part of your permanent seating and find a height that works for you.

The images are only for illustration of main idea.

Good luck.

• mlb418
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks all. Yes, the drawings are to scale, and no, the wall can’t go away. It supports the stairs to the second floor. And yes, we need to access the stairs on the other side of the wall as they are the access point to the basement. Sounds like you all favor keeping the sink out of the island. The microwave we want is actually one those micro/convection speed oven combos, preferably the 30 inch size. I think those can be mounted under the counter, and I’ve considered that as well to eliminate all the tall cabinetry.
  • Christine R
    5 years ago
    What color cabinets did you end up doing? I’m still deciding which ones to choose. All white with wood accents or lowers dark wood and white uppers.
  • mlb418
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @christine r - we are going with wood lowers and white uppers. The cabinets for the wall oven and pantry will be white. And we are going with layout #2 - sink in the island.
  • artistsharonva
    5 years ago

#1 is the best so far.

Consider making at least 1 of the cabinets a 1 door away from hood, if putting spices to access while cooking. As is with 2 doors, you'll have to reach around the door that opens towards hood.

• mlb418
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @mamagoose, the window where you have the sink is on the front of the house and too long for a counter. Plus, it would be a bit weird to have a kitchen sink in front of a front window I think.
  • mlb418
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Also, I’m a bit surprised everyone favors #1 - isn’t that a functionally awkward placement for the sink? Definitely no work triangle there. And we will not do a prep sink - our kitchen is too small and it would look funny.
  • AFritzler
    5 years ago

I tend to also favour #1 personally for 2 reasons.

1. When you have guests over typically you are prepping food while visiting. With option 2 &3 I can logically see your prep area being in the corner making it more difficult to visit.

2. When you do have people over you can easily hide mess around the corner.

Since you mentioned that your family tends to be messy I would suggest a raised bar top, even if its just a 6" ledge to set glasses on. Would help to hide that mess and keep your kitchen looking nice even when you have whatever behind on the island/ peninsula.