Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_325852663

Replace Gas Fireplace w/ Ventless or Infared

Ann Powell
5 years ago

Hello,

We had our recently purchased fireplace inspected and I don't think there was one thing right on it (upside down flue, broken clips, flue too close to the frame, propane line looped over the heating element, rusted chimney cap) . The inspector offered up 2 options: 1) Repair the entire set up for $4500. 2) Install a new chase cover and an infrared log set for $1600. Neither option can happen without the propane company disconnecting the current logs. When I spoke with them they offered up a 3rd option of changing out the current fireplace for a vent-less version which I am still waiting on the estimate.

We are looking to rent the house out for the next few years until we can move in. When it's our primary house we went to pull out the entire section to open up the kitchen.

- Has anyone ever done the infrared option? I think it'll be the cheapest but I imagine it won't be very useful or pretty.

- Would the vent-less option change the look of the fireplace? Or is that something that just fits in the existing casing?

- Is it possible to do the chase cover and open up the casing to display candles or something similar?

Thanks!

Comments (2)