Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aj_woodard_adams

flooring quandary

Aj Woodard-Adams
5 years ago

We are looking to sell our home next year. The floors need to be done desperately. The owners we purchased from stained the concrete, and did a poor job. It looks bad, and now its chipping in a couple places. The problem is we're on a budget, and we only have the cash to do half the floors. I think we should not spend the money and just let the fact the flooring isn't done be reflected in the listing price of the home. My husband thinks we should do the floor in 3 rooms, and just hope we can still sell for full price. I don't think buyers will give us full price for partially done floors, and I'd rather not spend the money if we're just going to take the hit anyway. Any advice?

Comments (7)

• Storybook Home
    5 years ago
    Which 3 rooms? Doubtful investing in a half done job will yield a return. I’d save the money. New buyers will likely redo it anyway and be unwilling to pay extra for a patchwork quilt.
  • Lil S
    5 years ago

I would definitely ask a local realtor if concrete flooring is desirable in your market and if it's best to ignore, replace (or in your case, partially replace) or offer a flooring allowance.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    5 years ago

Price the house accordingly and be well aware that this is going to make the price take a substantial hit.

• maifleur01
    5 years ago

Doing three rooms would never get you full price but I am wondering if you have checked to see how much it would cost to have them resurfaced? I am planning on turning a walled in patio into a sunroom in a couple of years for my plants. One of the things I have looked at since that portion of the house is on a slab is having in floor heating with the concrete stuff glazed and finished vs. tile. I was told glazing would need to be redone.

• Laurie Schrader
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Not sure if you're planning to work with a Realtor- I would. I'd find one that can sell benefits, over features. I get that the finish has gone wonky. It happens OFTEN, with painted/stained concrete. That's a feature, that isn't super-pretty.

But the benefit is that it's a flat sub-floor, ready to take on anything "new" a buyer can imagine. So much better/easier to deal with than a house on the block that has older carpeting, or tile that isn't appealing, or whatever.

Will it hurt your bottom line? Not with a good Realtor, with deep contacts in your area who can sell benefits. Find her/him, and save your $$.

• SJ McCarthy
    5 years ago

Leave it alone....or have it ground/polished for the open house/viewings. The problem with doing only 3 rooms is the FLOOR HEIGHT difference. Any floor you put in (including sheet vinyl) will have a "lip" or a height variance where it meets the concrete slab. Tripping hazard = bad vibes for home buyers.

If you can't afford to install new flooring throughout (and carpet is the fastest, cheapest, easiest floor to add) then don't do a darn thing. If you are REALLY nervous about how much the look of the floors are going to affect the purchase price, then go ahead and have them ground/polished and then leave them be. The amount of money you will pay will be a snick more than flooring for 3 rooms, but it will maintain the asking price (no need to discount).

A "nice" looking, yet raw, concrete floor is FAR more appealing than a nasty "finished" concrete floor. If you have enough money to install 3 rooms with "other" product, then you have enough money to grind down/polish the concrete. Maybe not enough to "finish" it with a sealer...but certainly enough to grind/polish.