Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elena_castillo88

How To Design a Living Room Without A Sofa

Elena Castillo
5 years ago

How To Design a Living Room Without A Sofa. I have a chaise and I would like to arrange it on the family room. Any ideas? Thank you!

Comments (27)

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    5 years ago

I have lots of ideas, but no information from you to give me a lead on your living room.

Elena Castillo thanked JudyG Designs
  • Kim M
    5 years ago

Pictures? Dimensions? Style?

• Elena Castillo
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hello,

We would love to hear your ideas. We are open to any style. We would like to have the chaise on the family room. The chaise long measurements is 64". The family room is 15' x 15'.

Thank you for your help

• hbeing
    5 years ago

chaise looks tropical colonial....get a couple of complementary similar chairs? big ol fan w/ same wood tone? then accent away for color.

Elena Castillo thanked hbeing
  • Helena Amaya
    5 years ago
    Thank you for your comment. What does mean tropical colonial?
  • HU-517216708
    5 years ago

Using smaller furniture pieces, like a bench or a couple of chairs, allows for easy adjustments to fit any situation, whether that's a party, watching a movie, or just rearranging for a fresh new look.

Elena Castillo thanked HU-517216708
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

How do you plan to use the FR IMO that chaise belongs in a bedroom ,a very formal LR or in an entry.

Elena Castillo thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Helena Amaya
    5 years ago

What two same style and one different style? What do you think?

• Helena Amaya
    5 years ago
    The is long for the entry o for bedroom. Chaise: length 71 inches. Width: 24 inches
    Height: 34 inches.
  • emho23
    5 years ago

Why don't you want a sofa?

• Helena Amaya
    5 years ago

What do think about chairs like those? Thank you for help

• Helena Amaya
    5 years ago
    I would like to use the chaise i never use it. We bought it few year ago. I love it but I and i don't know where could be a good place for it.
  • Helena Amaya
    5 years ago
    Patricia, I am thinking on a LR.
  • emho23
    5 years ago

To clarify: you want to use this chaise, which has no back and is not very large, as a substitute for a sofa in your family room? Do you have another room that does have a sofa?

Elena Castillo thanked emho23
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

This is an Empire chaise (daybed).

Your piece is an Empire boudoir bench.

I can’t tell from the photo if the piece is in the style of (20th C) or an antique from the 1800’s. Designed as bedroom furniture, you could keep it in the living room, but it will never serve as a sofa.

There are a lot of present day pieces that have the Empire look and you can build on that style:

This is a Kathy Ireland rug, Empire design, which would look great in your space with the green stairs.

Elena Castillo thanked JudyG Designs
  • J Williams
    5 years ago

It does kind of look like something that would go in front of a bed.

Elena Castillo thanked J Williams
  • PRO
    ABtelier Design
    5 years ago

Hi, I think the chair looks vintage and it is an amazing way for your Family Room to look unique!

I understand you would like to keep it in your living space.

To make your chair comfortable, I would recommend using cushions. By putting cushions along the wall on the top of your chair, you will be able to rest comfortably your back. If you want more of a classic look, you can use cream cushions and if you want more of a fun, eclectic look, you can use for example 2 floral cushions and 3 neutral single color cushions such as cream or if you have kids and want a color that won't stain, 3 dark gray cushions for example.

Are you planning in adding other chairs or place to rest in your Family Room?

Hope this help:)

Ariane

Elena Castillo thanked ABtelier Design
  • Helena Amaya
    5 years ago

Hello Ariane, i am thinking to have two chairs, rugs, tables. I will post them. Please let me know what you think

• Helena Amaya
    5 years ago

Two chair, one side table and one coffee table.

• Helena Amaya
    5 years ago

coffe table and chairs for the dining table. I would like to know your thoughts.

• Helena Amaya
    5 years ago

We painted the stairs. Any thoughts? Thank you for your help!

• Elena Castillo
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you so much for your help!

• PRO
    ABtelier Design
    5 years ago

Hi Elena ! Thank you for the images:)

Here is my suggestion for you:

The Pottery Barn chairs: yes they will absolutely work out great

The coffee table looks ok, but I would take it the same color as the chairs legs. Not another color type as your living room will already have enough different elements and for an homogenity blend, you would want the same color.

Same for the side coffee table.

The rug is absolutly perfect, the style goes with the vintage tradional look you seem to be aiming for. The rug color blends easily with cream and if ever you want to add gray and floral cushion, it will be convenient to match.

For the dining table, do you have a picture ?

If it's an open concept with the living room, I would use the same collection as the coffee table if possible.

Hope this helps and don't hesitate may you have any questions:)

Ariane

• PRO
    ABtelier Design
    5 years ago

I also agree with Manon Floret suggestion of repeating the red color in the living room. I would go with a couple of cushions and red candles pieces.

• Helena Amaya
    5 years ago

Hi Arien, thank you so much for your help. I would like to hear your suggestions on the coffee table and side table. I added pictures of the dining table so that you would be able to give me your opinion on it.
    The stairs and the ceiling are going to be the same wood color. Thank you for your help!
    Elena

• Helena Amaya
    5 years ago

Arianne, you can see the table better here because it's closer. Thank you