Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoosier_nan

Blooming in the greenhouse

I don't have any daylilies in bloom in the greenhouse right now (just some buds coming on), but I thought I would show you some other plants blooming right now. I am getting anxious for spring and I just have to see some flowers.

This is one of our favorite bromeliads. It is Aechmea orlandiana 'Ensign'.

Here's a close-up of its bloom. This will stay colorful for quite some time.

This is Billbergia windii variegata. Billbergia blooms are colorful, but last for a short time.

This is an unknown Billbergia. Some Billbergias have pendant blooms and others are upright.

This is Wallesia cyanea variegata. It used to be classified as a tillandsia and the non-variegated version was commonly seen.

Just thought you might like to see some flowers at this still dreary time of year. It is getting better, though. Bob and I worked in the garden until almost 8 o'clock last evening. It was chilly but we did get some things done.

Nancy

Comments (14)

• Nancy 6b
    5 years ago

Colorful, i love it! No greenhouse here, and I only have a couple of "indoor" plants. They go outside as soon as it warms up. A high pot of what are supposed to be different colors of epidendron but turned out to be all white; and orange Olivia, and they bloom for me in the summer. I do have some daffs blooming though, the flowers made it through the 14 deg. temp a few days ago, but are drooping.

• lilykate7a
    5 years ago

These are colorful!!! And you are right--any color is so welcome. I have had gorgeous daffodils blooming for a few weeks. They seemed to "flash bloom" this year with early, mid and late all coming in practically at the same time. Again, due to such unpredictable weather. We had a week of mid 70 weather-too warm even for us at this time of year-and all daffodils thought they should come up to bloom. Then 16 inches of rain and cool weather and they all lay flat on the ground. Finally, normal temperate weather and still a few left but I did not feel I got to enjoy them as usual. Thanks for posting these lovelies.

Kate

• tarheelgirl_7b
    5 years ago

Nancy, thanks for sharing! Nice to have some bright colors this time of year!

Lori

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I always enjoy it when you post flowers other then just your daylilies. The Bromeliads are especially colorful in bloom. Don't the plants die after they bloom though?............Maryl

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    5 years ago

Glad you shared! I think we are all color deprived now!

Sherry

• signet_gw(6b)
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Nancy , you seem knowledgeable about bromeliads. Here is mine, it has a drooping flower stalk. Do you think it might be a Billbergia ? I was given it by friend who just said it was a bromeliad. If I recall the plant bloom is pink like in your picture .

I have one lonely little geranium I brought in last fall in bloom presently. It has put out 3 bloom stalks , this one is the last of them , one stalk broke so I am trying to root in water .

I am also trying to root some plumbago. Never had much luck doing it before so this time I am trying some in soil and some in water. The mother plant is to the right of the geranium in this picture . Then there there are spider plants and some wisteria I am trying to root in water ( not much luck with these) and some purple wandering Jew type plants too. I also have a whack of dayliiles in pots in the windowsills here ......they were tiny divisions of plants I moved last fall that were so overgrown these plantlets were unable to do anything . Too tiny to plant out (they wouldn't survive our winters here) so are in pots all over the place .....trying to keep them going until I can put them outside.

Love the bright colors of your bromeliads Nancy ! Thanks for sharing .

• mantis__oh
    5 years ago

Marvelous bromeliad. Does it go outside for the summer?

• signet_gw(6b)
    5 years ago

If you mean mine Maryl , yes I do put it outside for the summer . All my plants go out for the spring , summer and fall seasons .

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Signet, Bob and I talked at lunch and we agree that it is possible you have an aechmea. They have a more arching foliage like yours and some do have pendant blooms. The flower would tell the difference.

Maryl, we take many of the plants out of the greenhouse each summer, but some do stay in. In our previous house, we built a shade house with benches to keep the plants off the ground. The bromeliads really like that. We have been talking about building another one here.

Nancy

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    5 years ago

Nancy: I think my name (Maryl) got confused with Mantis's query about your plants going outside. In my post I wondered if the Bromeliads died after they flowered. So to ask again - do they die??..........Maryl

Original Author
    5 years ago

Maryl, oops! Sorry about that. I guess I'm getting old.

To answer your question, yes, bromeliads do die after flowering, but that process takes several months. Before they die (and even before they flower), they will produce offsets (or pups as they are called). Most will produce two or more (a few just one).

Nancy

• signet_gw(6b)
    5 years ago

oops I made a mistake my comment was made in response to Mantis' question . So sorry

Nancy , thanks now I have to research an aechmea . Never heard that name/term before .

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    5 years ago

Thanks Nancy. Since you grow them and have a greenhouse, have you ever tried growing a pineapple? Maryl

Original Author
    5 years ago

We have played around with growing the top of a pineapple, but they get so big and aren't that attractive. You would never be able to get an edible fruit. Even if it flowered and set a fruit, the fruit wouldn't ripen properly.

We have grown variegated pineapples and we did get a fruit on one. It smelled just like a regular pineapple, but I'm sure it was very seedy. In my opinion, pineapples are sort of the ugly duckling of the family--only good for the fruit.

Nancy