Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_6198431

Help with fence gate placement

User
5 years ago

I'm back with another question...

I've sent in the deposit for our fence and am now second guessing the direction one of the gates will open. We're in a tight spot on that side of the house and I don't know how to achieve what I want with the space and obstacles we have. There is 8'7" from the house to the lot line. There is a downspout coming from the new porch roof that is currently positioned to direct the water to the lot line and away from the deck skirting. There is also a door to access the space under the porch right next to the house and downspout. I originally wanted to plant along the fence line for privacy. If I did that the gate would be in an awkward spot and place you right into the runoff from the downspout. If I plant around the deck I'll have the access door to contend with and most likely won't be able to have any plantings that screen the back third section of porch. I'm thinking my first step with everything would be to bury the downspout and run it along the porch/deck out to the yard?

Where would you place the gate on this side? The fence builder has the hinges on the corner post of the fence with the gate opening out towards you.

The 8.6' circled in blue is the area I'm dealing with. The screened porch is the rectangle next to it and the deck is the section out in front with the angles and steps.

Comments (11)

• Christopher CNC
    5 years ago

Move the gate so it is on the street side of the A/C unit with ample room forward of it to plant something behind the fence to help hide it.

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

We’re in an HOA so unfortunately the sides/gates have to start at the back corners of the house.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    5 years ago

Why do you have a gate there? It looks like there are fewer obstacles on the other side, and having two gates from the front to the back is generally considered redundant.

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

This is going to sound silly but the whole reason we have two gates is because of our HOA fence guidelines. Our fence has to be a 3 rail split rail fence but they never specified the type of gate. All of my neighbors have picket style gates with a split rail section on the side. I personally do not like that look. I submitted my application with a crossbuck gate and crossbuck fence section for the sides of the house and it was approved. If I didn’t do two gates I would need to use the split rail fence on the non -gate side.

My thought was to try and make both gates functional with landscaping but if not possible I’d just lock the gate and plant by it like a fence.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    5 years ago

I would likely have it hinged on the lot line side and opening toward the front of the house.

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Woodyoak and NHBabs! I think those directions might end up making the most sense for our situation as well. I only hesitate with the gate on the lot line side because I can't figure out how I'll be able to add privacy plantings without having you walk right into them when you come through the gate.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    5 years ago

How often do you think you will use that gate? Because of the A/C, etc. it is always going to be relatively convoluted to use. So it depends on which you would rather have there - an easily used gate, or privacy plantings. It sounds like you would prefer the plants, and now that you've explained the gate, I don't see an issue with that.

The usual trick with totally fenced backyards is how hard is it get a large mower back there, or some other relatively common piece of equipment. Since I imagine those things would be going in on the other side, this gate isn't important.

User thanked mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
  • woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Leave a clear space just inside the fence and use vines on the fence to provide privacy in that area immediately inside the gate. I looked for pictures of out gate that opens our gate that opens outward (the north alley gate) to try to show what we did. The 'man door' at the back of the garage opens into the alley just inside the gate too so the clear space provides access to that door as well as space for moving the lawn mower or snow blower etc. in/out of the garage through that door. Some pictures:

In early May - you can see the basic space a bit better before everything leafs out...:

In July - from outside the gate - with clematises in bloom:

Looking from the road when the clematises are in bloom:

Maybe something like that could work for you...?

User thanked woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
  • User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sorry to just be getting back to you all. I have what seems like a million projects going on right now. I think that vines would be a great option to put on that side of the fence. I have a clematis around my mailbox that is doing wonderfully after just a few years. That gives me hope that I could get something going along the fence quite easily.
    Mad - I do think that both gates will get used. Unfortunately, the gate on the air conditioner side is also the side closest to the garage and we do not have an access door into it. I know my children and their friends will be going through it frequently. I could solve that by adding a shed to the backyard, I just don't think we're ready to do that yet.

• yiao damna
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Hmm, an interesting situation. I think it would be easier if you attached a photo from real life. I think you'd better consult a professional. Invite a person who understands this. My friend works for everlastgates.com and he helped me when I installed the gate at home. That's why I already know a little about it. when installing the gate, there are many important criteria that must be taken into account. For example, if a fence is adjacent to a building, then it is necessary to take into account its dilapidation and the possibility that the angle of the gate will change. Well, or the fact that the ground should be flat. I think you'd better contact the professionals.