Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kacey_coburn

Am I killing it?

Kacey Coburn
5 years ago

Hi everyone! I inherited this plant from my mom's office about a month ago. When I got it, it was doing pretty well, but had been living in an office environment and had never been replanted. So, upon receiving it, I decided to replant it in a bigger pot and put it near a window that gets indirect bright light (as pictured). But now, the leaves are yellowing. :( I expected some adjusting of course, but now I'm wondering if this is the right place to put it...and if it'll bounce back. What do you guys think?

Comments (12)

• Yuri Claro
    5 years ago

Seems a little bit like overwatering, how do you water it?

• Kacey Coburn
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Yuri, we've only watered it twice: right when we replanted it a month ago (because it was super super dry then), and then we watered it again two weeks later.

• Yuri Claro
    5 years ago

Hmmm, maybe then its underwatering or the soil is too water retentive, and is holding moisture for far too long. How fast the soil is drying?

• socks
    5 years ago

Did you pot it up because the roots had outgrown the other pot? If the roots were small, that pot might be too large for the rootball, it could be staying too wet.

Did you remove the old mix when repotting? Does this pot have a hole in the bottom? Does it sit in water in a dish after watering?

I hope it survives. It looks nice in that corner.

• Kacey Coburn
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi socks, to answer your questions...

1. Yes, the roots were SUPER dense in the old pot, which is why we thought it would be good to repot.

2. We tried to remove as much old soil as possible but didn't want to damage the root ball too much.

3. This pot does have drainage holes.

4. It kind of does sit in water in a dish. But we only water it until we see a bit of water in the dish, and then stop.

• Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I don't grow this, but it looks underwatered to me not overwatered, the curling leaves may be from dryness. I suspect it's the original rootball you left in place is dry to the touch. Was it rockhard to your touch? If so, that means it won't absorb water & possibly the water you're giving it, is going around the rootball not into it.

Soak the whole thing in a basin of water a couple of inches deep. Maybe even poke some holes in the top of the rootball w/ some kind of skewer or screwdriver & then pour water directly into the holes. See what the plant does after you've done this & given it a couple of days to respond.

• socks
    5 years ago

I agree with Karen. Possibly the water isn’t getting to the root ball. After a good soaking, allow to drain thoroughly, not sit in water. I know it’s heavy and awkward, but if it could sit on a stack of newspapers overnight that would help.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    5 years ago

Office environment would lead me to think it's low humidity. If you want to do a long-term favour for it, depot it and remove some of the rootball and repot it with fresh soil - this also gives the roots-to-grow some room to grow.

• kristimooneyhan
    4 years ago

I would also like to add that there’s some browning on those leaves. If it’s been in an office under fluorescent lighting then it may be getting sunburned.

• Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Sorry but I doubt office fluorescent light would do that, I have it on good authority from a professional plantsman that plants actually do well w/ office lights.

As suggested already, likelier the browning is from too dry environment & too low humidity,

• kristimooneyhan
    4 years ago

I meant that because you moved it from fluorescent lighting to real sunlight then it is probably burning some. Sunlight is much stronger than fluorescent lighting. Especially when it comes through a window. I’m guessing that you didn’t slowly move it toward that window over a long period of time. Just trying to help by offering a suggestion. It’s hard to diagnose without seeing in person but I do have a horticultural degree and 30 years experience. Not a dummy here.

• Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    4 years ago

KristiM.

No one said anything abt sunlight here, the OP said bright indirect light, which would certainly not 'cause burn, much less to so thru a window. just not going to happen.

Sponsored