Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jane_horvath

Quartz Countertop Seam is TERRIBLE

Jane Horvath
5 years ago
My contractor asked me to check the quartz and I thought they looked fine so we approved them for fabrication. I noticed that one end was darker than the other but it didn’t occur to me that this would result in mismatched colors at the seam!! This is what my countertops currently look like, and I’m told this is natural because you don’t get consistent coloring through a large slab. Okay, so it’s in, and what’s done is done. But is there any kind of treatment that can be done to bring the colors closer to each other at the seam? It bugs the heck out of me. Luckily, it’s only noticeable for one seam...

Comments (27)

• weezel
    5 years ago

I can't believe they did that.....seriously? What were they thinking? Baffles the mind! Redo!

• M Miller
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

It’s been said a lot on this forum, but it’s worth a repeat for anyone reading this thread and about to install quartz counters. You must go to the templating layout and see how the pieces are planned to be put together. That is the opportunity to spot mismatches, which can occur not only in color like the OP’s, but in direction of veining.

I’ve also never seen a seam that isn’t a straight line. Maybe that’s fine, I’ve just never seen it.

Edited: I made a comment about a backsplash which was incorrect due to how the photo appeared on my phone, so I’ve deleted that comment.

• mark_rachel
    5 years ago

Sad attention to detail by the fabricator. The seam looks good, but a bad color match. What quartz is this?

@M Miller... there isn't a 3" backsplash. I think you just see the shadow.

• M Miller
    5 years ago

@mark_rachel, you are right! The pictures are not so crisp on my phone. I will edit my post.

• millworkman
    5 years ago

"I‘ve also never seen a seam that isn’t a straight line. "

Mark, that is what is known as a French Miter and is the correct way to miter a corner on a stone (natural or man made) top.

• M Miller
    5 years ago

@millworkman - that comment was mine, not mark_rachel’s. Thanks for the clarification.

• NewEnglandgal
    5 years ago

How could they lay that down and not see how bad it looks? Absolute redo!

• ksc36
    5 years ago

Take note:

" My contractor asked me to check the quartz and I thought they looked fine so we approved them for fabrication."

Case closed....

• zmith
    5 years ago

"My contractor asked me to check the quartz and I thought they looked fine so we approved them for fabrication."

What were you given to check prior to fabrication?

• mark_rachel
    5 years ago

@millworkman Yes, that's why I said it was a good seam, just a bad color match.

• millworkman
    5 years ago

My bad on mixing up M Miller and you mark.

• User
    5 years ago

Did you buy the extra slab for the extra slab of material needed to get the better matched seams in the corner? The seam itself is high quality and fine. You can only do so much color matching with a limited amount of material.

"we approved them for fabrication.". That says that if you want a different match there, you will need to buy the extra slab and pay for the extra fabrication costs.

• Rachel Nye
    5 years ago
    is this quartz or quartzite?
  • Jane Horvath
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you for all of your responses! Unfortunately, no one answered the question so I’m guessing the answer is that there’s no such thing as a treatment to lighten one side or darken the other...
  • Jane Horvath
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Everyone is debating who’s to blame. In construction, I suppose everyone can be blamed. The seller for providing two different colored pieces to the same customer, the contractor for picking them up and not noticing, the customer for approving the slabs for fabrication (they were set on opposite sides of the garage, and based on what experience would I know what issues to look for??), the fabricator for poor attention to detail, the installer for not informing the customer prior to gluing the CRAP down... But luckily, everyone has agreed to share the cost of the redo, so that’s fair. I wish there was a marble stain to make this problem go away easily though. There’s your million dollar idea!!
  • wilson853
    5 years ago

On my monitor that looks like natural stone. I don't want to scare you, but if that is quartzite, it may have absorbed water and left a stain. There are many threads on here concerning the same type of problem. My original quartzite slabs became unusable after they were transported to the fabricator and absorbed water when they were left outside. Did you have an opportunity to test this stone for etching and staining when you chose it?

quartzite-nightmare

• chocolatebunny123
    5 years ago

I am certainly not an expert on quartz, but I have to agree with wilson853 that it looks like natural stone, not quartz. I saw several full slabs of quartz when I was choosing my own countertops and never saw that kind of color variation.

Jane - I do not think there is any way to either lighten or darken the actual stone itself. Would you mind sharing what brand of "quartz" this is?

• Rachel Nye
    5 years ago

?

• Rachel Nye
    5 years ago
    is it quartz or quartzite?
  • Jane Horvath
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I bought this at a Chinese imports place because of their competitive pricing. (I don’t speak any Chinese.) This whole time, I thought I got quartz that looks like marble, but I went back to purchase a matching piece yesterday... and found out this is marble. Aghhhh! I’m messing up on so many levels. Looks like I’ll be resealing this baby every 6 months! It’s a good point someone made about water absorption changing the color of the countertop. We installed it on a very rainy week. Maybe the top slab absorbed water during transport. Anyway, so far, no matching slab found. There’s one that’s been reserved and not paid for yet, so I get to buy it next week if no one picks it up. Crossing my fingers!!
  • Jane Horvath
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    And to answer the question for brand, this does not have a brand.
  • Rachel Nye
    5 years ago
    Maybe if you sealed the whole thing you can make it darker? Huge difference between man made stones and natural one's. Definitely important to know which you got. Good luck!
  • M Miller
    5 years ago

Quartz is a manmade counter product. Just so you know. That’s why you were asked about brand.

• wilson853
    5 years ago

Good to know that it is marble so you can properly take care of it. As you probably know, marble is susceptible to etching from things like citrus. To minimize the appearance of the etches, you can have your fabricator hone the marble if that is something that will bother you. Before you seal it however, I would make a poultice to try and remove the stain. Make sure to tape the plastic wrap down to the countertop so it can work for several days.

remove-water-spots-marble-countertops-90254.html

• kim k
    5 years ago
    There are dealers you can use that will darken /bring out the colors of the stone. 511 enhance and seal is one i believe. You could try that on the lighter side and see if it darkens it a bit.
  • kim k
    5 years ago
    That should say ‘sealers ‘ not ‘dealers’.