Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
evaleokadia

To Paint or not to paint my kitchen cabinets??

evaleokadia
5 years ago

Santa Cecilia Classic granite and ginger stained solid maple cabinets make my kitchen look blah. Wondering whether a light color subway tile in the backsplash would help, or just go ahead and paint the cabinets cream white?

Comments (62)

• girl_wonder
    5 years ago

I agree with others. Cabinets are good. Counters in great condition, even if you don't love them. IMO, this is a decorating issue, not a remodeling one. Look at pics of kitchens you like and see what they use--a bowl of fruit, vase of flowers, other things with a pop of color--to give the room some pizzazz. I also agree with the suggestion of upgrading the other rooms, including getting nice lined drapes.

evaleokadia thanked girl_wonder
  • evaleokadia
    Original Author
    5 years ago

There is a bowl of fruit on my counter and yes I have fresh flowers frequenty, As far as my adjacent rooms, I am happy with my decor and actually get many compliments. These pictures do not show my open floor interior . Thank you for all your advise. I sppreciate all the input. My issue was getting used to dark kitchen after living in a house with a white kitchen for 20 years. I am definitely encouraged by your positive input and will make a few minor changes to feel more at home here. Putting in a larger sink is out of question as it would require replacing a huge piece of granite. But hardware, lights over the bar and possibly a backsplash are in order. Also, I like my open con space casual that‘s why the grommet linen panels. I do use rod pocket linen shades as an alternative.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

You have a lovely kitchen. I think it’s just beautiful. Your cabinets and floor are especially nice.

I DON’T like the sink rug, though. I know it matches, but I think a CONTRASTING color would be great. Solid red, green, blue?

I see you are a minimalist, like me. I understand that. But you need to add some interest/color. I finally found your bowl of fruit on the counter by enlarging your picture - get a bowl twice as big.

I see utensils etc near the stove and flowers in the background - but they’re all beige. Get color!!

evaleokadia thanked littlebug zone 5 Missouri
  • ci_lantro
    5 years ago

Putting in a larger sink is out of question as it would require replacing a huge piece of granite.

Why? Can't be $$$ because you are considering painting the cabinets and a proper paint job will cost as much or more than replacing the countertops. Anyway, the cabinets are very nice; I like them very much. I do not like the counters & granite backsplash at the sink which I think is too busy and is working to detract from what is otherwise a very attractive kitchen.

evaleokadia thanked ci_lantro
  • Angel 18432
    5 years ago

Cabinets are quite lovely, it's the counter top that is the problem. Get something that is simple and light in color and don't do the 4" back splash bit. Then shop for back splash.

evaleokadia thanked Angel 18432
  • mnmamax3
    5 years ago

Totally agree with ci-lantro. Painting cabinets PROPERLY is a huge expense and hassle. From the little snippets I see beyond the kitchen, you seem to have a modern farmhouse sort of vibe going on. I think a new, less-busy counter top in a grey-brown tone (soapstone or similar) will pull everything together. You really have very little backsplash to speak of so I don't know that that would make a huge difference and your cabinets are beautiful.

evaleokadia thanked mnmamax3
  • evaleokadia
    Original Author
    5 years ago

here is a much better photo of my countertop - it looked much too orange on the other photos and not accurate. I am trying new hardware and would love advice, suggestions. ...

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    5 years ago

No! They're beautiful as they are.

• felizlady
    5 years ago
    Remove the low backsplash and have the new one installed from counter to cabinets. The backsplash should be a solid color which matches one of the lighter colors in your counter material for the best appearance.
  • Angel 18432
    5 years ago

There was a posting just recently with a similar problem. Wish I could fined it.

But all they did was change the wall color and the countertop and it looked drastically

different. I'll keep searching.

• evaleokadia
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Angel 18532, I would love to see the posting! Thank you!!!

• evaleokadia
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@littlebug zone 5 Missouri, I am a minimalist and find myself having trouble with adding color, I think My style is transitional but with my own twist - I like to mix traditional furniture with more modern pieces and don't typically follow trends. I will take your advise and try to find a colorful rug for the kitchen. Any ideas would be great!

• evaleokadia
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I am so thankful for all the advise I have gotten from you! We decided to keep the kitchen as is except for adding under cabinet lights, a backsplash after removing the 4"granite backsplash, some colorful accessories, possibly new paint (although I am very bad with color - that's why my whole house is painted with neutral colors). I am also considering getting new light pendants over the bar. Right now I have one light there which I like but it does not add character. I would love any suggestions how to coordinate the pendants with my chandelier over my dining table which is only a few feet away from the kitchen bar. Here is the photo of the chandelier.

• mnmamax3
    5 years ago

I actually love your pendant light. Can you get two more to put in place of the pot lights on the island/bar?

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    5 years ago

I do think the paint - at least how it appears on my laptop - adds to the "blah" effect. I think your decisions so far are right on -- I would change the paint also. Neutral is good, it just has to be the right neutral!

I was going to suggest removing the 4" splash, and putting in a simple, cream white tile backsplash. We tend to think of glass subway tile as a more modern look, but for some reason I am thinking it would work here, as well.

evaleokadia thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • evaleokadia
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Mnmamax3, I have one more of those lights, they are available on Wayfair, so I could buy one more.. I love the simple look of them. Do you think it goes ok with my chandelier?

• mnmamax3
    5 years ago

Let's be clear, I am NO expert, but I do think they coordinate well without being too matchy. Post a few pics of the adjacent areas and it will help with suggestions for new wall color, accessories and backsplash.

• plf12652
    5 years ago
    Question....what color are your walls because they look to be in the grey family and don’t help your kitchen dilemma. I would go with black hardware on cabinets.
  • mvosberg
    5 years ago
    The cabinets are beautiful. Get a less busy quart countertop and simp,e backsplash.
  • Megan Wilkins
    5 years ago
    Random side note- I thought the “lip” of granite on the back wall was standard? We are about to install and should I just tell them to go flush and leave out the 4in? Is that a dated thing or what?
  • mnmamax3
    5 years ago

I know you're wanting to try paint first but I would seriously re-consider a new countertop - it would give you so many more options in terms of adding color. We changed out our verde butterfly granite for a new neutral quartz and now we can use a little color here and there with our neutrals. (I already had painted cabinetry, but your wood cabinetry is beautiful). We chose a mid-tone grey that I hope is versatile enough to use even if our tastes change.

• Angel 18432
    5 years ago

go flush. 4" is dated.

Here are pictures showing you what a difference it makes.

• Meg P
    5 years ago
    My rental in NC has the exact same kitchen design! Looking forward to see what you do with it.
  • evaleokadia
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Plf12652, my walls are desert sand, but in certain lite, they do look gray(ish).

• evaleokadia
    Original Author
    5 years ago

We will not be changing the countertop at the moment, a couple of years from now perhaps...and it will be a lighter granite. I am not a fan of quartz - always preferred natural to manufactured. I find granite beautiful with all its imperfections.

Mnmamax3,

here are my adjacent rooms - not perfect photos though..

• Trixie
    5 years ago
    Megan Wilkins... for sure leave that 4-inch lip off and put either paint or backsplash there. You will be glad you did, I do think it looks dated! I always leave it off
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

my kitchen cabs/granite are very similar to yours. (your house is very nicely done) But after 15 years, I just can't deal w/the golds and tans any longer.

here is my granite w/some samples I got from CleTile.

the bottom brick on the right is Parchment, and looks the best. prob would w/yours too.

if you want a quick update, remove that 4" piece (it isn't hard to pry off the wall) and try a backsplash.

(always try and match your outlets w/the color of your tile so they don't stand out too much)

This matte tile from Tilebar (Bianco-3x12) would probably work w/your other rooms. I like the herringbone pattern too.

here are some sample boards w/tile that looks nice w/santa Cecelia granite

• mnmamax3
    5 years ago

You have a beautiful home. It's good to see the paint color in a few other spaces and it definitely looks more tan.

I see a pretty blue/green in the rug and your art. I don't know how it would look up against the granite, but on the walls along the whole space with the curtains might bring in a little color. The deep orange-red in the rug would be a color that could be used for accessories. I would pick up some accessories in colors you like and see how they work with the granite to see if you should use color for paint or backsplash in the kitchen or just stick with neutrals there and keep the color in the living/DR spaces.

• PRO
    Susan Tiritilli
    5 years ago
    I am not sure a tile backsplash is going to work with the granite edge going up the wall. It is nice as it is. I know we all want the latest and trendiest, but it is very nice. I think new window treatments are the best idea.
    evaleokadia thanked Susan Tiritilli
  • Angel 18432
    5 years ago

You have lovely taste, I don't know why you are doubting yourself.

• HereWeGoAgain (Z9)
    5 years ago
    I think your house is lovely and very welcoming. I agree to not paint cabinets. A solid backsplash would just tie everything together.

Everyone who is saying her countertop is dated....I think it’s beautiful. I’m not a decorator, but it looks great. Plus everything is dated at some point. Most people aren’t going to update their counters just because a new stone or surface becomes popular.
    evaleokadia thanked HereWeGoAgain (Z9)
  • evaleokadia
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you, we are shopping for the right shade of backsplash tile, also installing one more lamp above the bar (will reposition the existing one). Feeling very encouraged!!! Thank you all for your help! I am confident that a few small changes will help me love my kitchen as I love the rest of my house. I will post results when all is in place.

• Angel 18432
    5 years ago

Be sure to bring home samples and check them out with your cupboards, lighting, counter.

What you think might work at the store - often doesn't once you get it home. Good Luck.

• ljptwt7
    5 years ago
    Following to see final results. Your kitchen is beautiful, all you "need" to do is take off 4" piece, add backsplash and add colorful accessories. Nothing "wrong" with counter. I can't imagine spending big $$ just because some think its dated.
    evaleokadia thanked ljptwt7
  • vevans555
    5 years ago
    I had cabinets just like yours with a slate floor when I bought my house. The kitchen was always dark, even with many lights and windows. Had them painted a warm white using ANNIE Sloan chalk paint with antique gold hardware, changed the floor to hardwood (as a baker the slate was too hard on my back). It is like a new inviting room, light and bright, I love it and do not miss the wood cabinets one bit.
  • sallylentakis
    5 years ago
    No! I love your cabinets!
    evaleokadia thanked sallylentakis
  • Kath
    5 years ago
    No do not paint cabinets, they are nice.
  • evaleokadia
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Just adding under cabinet lights brightened the space!! It no longer feels dark and the light brings out the beauty of the wood and the stone, I am already falling in love!!!

Thank you for all the hints regarding the samples. Definitely bringing home samples before making a final decision. My husband is very skillful and we will do a practice sample on a cardboard first.

ljptwt7, I agree. I am not one to fly with trends. For me it is all about how I feel in the space. Typically, I have no problem making a space mine and inviting, but the darker wood that my husband loves, was a bit of a challenge for me because I am typically drawn to lighter tones. That being said, I am beginning to like it already :)

• Angel 18432
    5 years ago

keep us posted

• Amanda Smith
    5 years ago

I think your home is lovely. A beautiful wall color would add personality to the space. I would pull a blue color from the rug for the walls and add orange accent pieces.

evaleokadia thanked Amanda Smith
  • Amanda Smith
    5 years ago

• evaleokadia
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Amanda Smith, thank you!

• skunst2017
    5 years ago
    Since your kitchen is open on all sides to several rooms ..I would like to see more of your overall look in living or dining room ... Can you put a dividing wall somewhere ? Is there room to separate your kitchen a bit from the rest ...from what I see here ..you have wood furniture on one side of the kitchen ..., is that your dining room ....If you like it all open ...it should harmonize with the rest of the surroundings ...please send more photos !
  • Sammy
    5 years ago

Putting in a larger sink is out of question as it would require replacing a huge piece of granite.

Why would you need to replace a huge piece of granite?

• jpp221
    5 years ago
    Your cabinets are better as is than they ever will be painted. If the room needs anything, it’s to be de-neutralized. Everyone goes neutral because neutral goes with everything, but then they forget to get the everything that the neutral goes with. I am imagining red accessories and some colour and pattern on those curtain panels to start.

As for the subway tile, no way. First, full backsplash over those mini-4” backsplashes never looks right. Secondly, subway tile is a sort of utilitarian look—think a clinical setting like a spa or a real workhorse kitchen in a manor home. Your kitchen is, on the other hand, open to a living space and surrounded by furniture-like cabinetry. In a few years, when the subway tile trend is over (some would say it’s already happened), you’ll be looking at it and wondering what you were thinking back then.

(That’s the problem with trends—they cause us to take something great, like subway tile, shaker cabinetry, or sectional couches, and in a fit of enthusiasm, we overdo them, applying them where they aren’t at their best.)
  • evaleokadia
    Original Author
    5 years ago

jpp221 the mini 4" backsplash would be removed, as far as pattern in my panels, I have tried that and since I have 3 large windows very close to each other, all you could see was the pattern on the windows. I have always been a minimalist when it comes to windows. With all the color in my art on the wall and colorful rugs, window pattern is just too much for me.

Skuns2017 Look earlier in the discussion and you will see the photos of my surroundings. I like the open concept layout. Thank you all for your suggestions! I really appreciate your input!

• evaleokadia
    Original Author
    5 years ago

So we have just finished adding the backsplash( sealed and awaiting grout) - 3 by 12 inch crazed subway in cream color. It really brightened the space! Deliberating whether or not to put it on the there side. We also installed one additional light above the bar. Happy with results so far. Attaching a couple of pictures.

• Amanda Smith
    5 years ago

Beautiful!

evaleokadia thanked Amanda Smith
  • evaleokadia
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you Amanda! Once the grout is in we will paint the walls and change the drapes. One step at a time :)

• blfenton
    5 years ago

Those pendant lights look great with the chandelier. You have a beautiful space and I think the backsplash looks better.