Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ldono999

Advice: sliding glass door or French doors

Leslie Donovan
5 years ago

as part of remodel, replacing existing 96x80 sliding glass door. Contractor has informed us Florida doesn’t allow French doors greater than 72”. For a modern farmhouse style, which is more appropriate...3 panel sliding door (30 inches each) or 60”French door with fixed 30”panel. I’m not thrilled with a 30” door size to outdoor backyard w/ pool, however could expand as needed with either option to slide 2nd panel over or open both French doors. On the same wall as this door there is 8“ of wall space them a 30” panel window on each side. Thank you!

Comments (3)

• fifamom
    5 years ago

can you post a photo of what you currently have? what is your budget? can you do a 72" french with both opening and 2 fixed 12" sidelights (glass)? that will give you the 96" width; will it meet code? did you check code yourself? I have a 60" slider to the back yard with pool and the 30" opening is fine as long as one person goes in our out at a time..

Leslie Donovan thanked fifamom
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

I agree a 72” fench and the sidelights or get 72” slider that gives you 36” almost for doorway. I like the looks of the sliders that resemble french doors but don’t take up space in either the exterior or interior. You just make the opening a bit smaller

Leslie Donovan thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • tartanmeup
    5 years ago

Will you need window coverings on these? That might sway your decision as well. Love Patricia's suggestion of sliders that look like French doors.

Leslie Donovan thanked tartanmeup