Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esudakof

Advise on backsplash

esudakof
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I would like some input as to whether or not it would look good if I only added a porcelain back splash to the area directly behind my stove... to help with cooking mess etc. and to also add some texture. Would it look unfinished, or would it be okay?

Picture of Tile and what it looks like installed

Thank you all for your input!

Comments (12)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    5 years ago

From the photo it appears you have a small strip of counter material vertical on the wall just above the countertop.

Is that correct?

Do you plan to leave that, or remove it?

• aprilneverends
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I'm afraid the tile is a bit too large and the pattern is too big as not to be lost when applied to a small place only. You'll also need to think how to finish the edges..might look different that you imagine, and not be a great fit with the rest of your nice kitchen. Ask the manufacturer whether comes with glazed egde-only then you can leave it exposed, otherwise you need some way of finishing it.

I'd be tempted to leave as is-or look for a smaller tile/tile with smaller repeat if one can put it that way, to apply to the whole wall..but then I'd take the granite backsplash down, two backsplashes are not needed.

In short, consider all things involved before undertaking a change.

And for sure try to order/ask for couple samples, so you can see for yourself in your kitchen whether size such and such and pattern such and such will make the most sense within the space you have.

Play with them a bit, or trace them on paper maybe, to make sure it works.

I know some people put stainless steel or some metal accent(that can be textured as well) behind the stove to take care of the messes. Looks pretty nice.

You've a nice kitchen.

Hope you'll get more reponses that will help you to decide.

esudakof thanked aprilneverends
  • chloebud
    5 years ago

You'd definitely need to remove the existing short backsplash before adding anything.

esudakof thanked chloebud
  • esudakof
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes, i do have the "lip" backsplash...however not directly behind my stove, so I would be able to start any sort of backsplash at the counter level.. does that make sense, or you still recommend removing the entire "lip"? I agree, I went home and realized the tile is simply too large for that small of a space. The stainless steel is a good idea, just a bit too industrial of a look for the farmhouse style I am trying to incorporate. If anyone can send pictures of what they feel would work better, I would greatly appreciate it!

• aprilneverends
    5 years ago

oh, I just stumbled upon "modern farmhouse brick"))

colors are pretty, and though tiles are long they're narrow..so the character will stay.

https://www.cletile.com/collections/thin-glazed-modern-farmhouse-brick

or you can go for very traditional shapes if you feel your house will support them in the long run..say I wouldn't install these in Maine, but would in California...

many colors available, the size is just right. even if you go for white-it's intereting and different because of the shape

http://www.tierrayfuego.com/andaluz-handcrafted-ceramic-tile-polyform.html

their Santa Barbara collection is worth checking out..very pretty irl..but the contrast will be more drastric than in the tile of your opening post.

http://www.tierrayfuego.com/manzanilla-black-and-ivory-gloss-santa-barbara-ceramic-tile.html

sorry for all the links instead of pics. pics, I'd have to save in my computer first, so takes a bit less time/

Terra Nova has some very pretty, fluid, floral designs

http://www.tierrayfuego.com/terra-nova-damasco-ceramic-tile.html

or of course you can go for mosaics

all these might work in case you decide to work with the whole wall

esudakof thanked aprilneverends
  • esudakof
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you @
    aprilneverends so much for all of the suggestions! I will take a look during my lunch break!

• traci_from_seattle
    5 years ago

With your range with the high back and the microwave you only have a small exposed area so I don’t think it will have the impact you’re looking for.

esudakof thanked traci_from_seattle
  • esudakof
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Since you all have such great advice, another project I was thinking is to do a Peel and Stick "tile" on my L shape island... where the barstools are... Do you like the one

I picked? is it too busy? Do you think this idea works in my kitchen ? Again thank you all so much for time and effort to help me!

• PRO
    Michelle Yorke Interior Design LLC
    5 years ago

If you're only planning on doing something behind the stove, we might consider leaving it as you don't have a very large area to work with.

Belvedere Project · More Info

Issaquah Kitchen · More Info

• emmarene9
    5 years ago

I found a picture of what you describe.

It would look better in one color and not the skinny mosaic.

I don't think it adds much design wise but you say you are having splashing problems. If you use light gray it will blend better with the stainless steel.

There are also pieces of stainless steel sized to go in that area.

I really like the simplicity of your kitchen. I don't think it needs enhancement of peel and stick anything.

esudakof thanked emmarene9
  • deb s
    5 years ago

Have you thought about just doing a stainless panel between the stove and microwave-- thats a really small space the stainless panel would unify the two in a simple way. I am one of the few who avoids back splashes as they date quickly and I like a room look

esudakof thanked deb s
Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH