Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jessica_stagnola

Renter cover ugly worn kitchen floor

Jessica Stagnola
5 years ago

I’m considering covering my kitchen floor with click lock lvp. The baseboard already have the curved cover edge. The seem very firmly attached and many times painted over. I know I need to remove the to install, but I’m afraid of damaging the very old and large baseboards

Comments (5)

• Pam A
    5 years ago

You would likely need to use a razor to slice thru the old paint and spend time being VERY careful with a thin prybar to finesse those two apart. And then you have to worry about any thresholds into the room plus how to work around/under cabinets and appliances.

You need to pitch this idea to your landlord - perhaps if you are willing to buy materials they would be willing to pay for a professional install.

• SJ McCarthy
    5 years ago

Yes to the above.

1. Always ask before you alter anything in a rental situation

2. Try to work out a deal with the landlord to see if you can add some value to their property (you purchase the materials and they do the install)

3. Live with it.

What is the current floor?

• Jessica Stagnola
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Here’s the viynal tile floor. It’s degrading at the Seams.

• SJ McCarthy
    5 years ago

The quarter round (the round bit of wood attached to the baseboard) looks like it is well attached (plenty of paint). To get a click-together/floating floor in there you will have to do one of two things:

1. Remove the quarter round (most likely damaging it beyond repair), install your floor and then purchase/paint/install the new quarter round. When you move you will remove the floor (reverse the steps as stated above); or

2. Leave it in place and put the new floor up against it with a tiny amount of expansion gap and ignore the "bad install" because you will remove the floor when you move anyway.

If it were me and I HAD TO HAVE new floors (as in my OCD couldn't handle another moment with the vinyl tile) I would ignore the baseboard/quarter round and install the floor up to the edge of the wall as best as I could. I would do this KNOWING this is a temporary floor that I will rip out when a I move and thereby leaving the space exactly as I found it...leaving the quarter round entirely untouched.

Good luck. Again, don't do anything until you talk with the landlord.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    5 years ago

I'd buy a rug and start looking for a nicer apartment. Adding value to a rental often back fires. The son of a friend did this - he was a cabinet maker by trade. It looked great - in fact so great, that the next year his landlord doubled the rent. They had to move. Yes, there ARE people like that an they often own rental property. They're a hard-nosed bunch...