Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
waverly6

Induction cooktop owners: Instahot boiling water faucet vs Induction.

waverly6
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

It's 1 am and it suddenly struck me that as I have heard how quickly the induction cooktop boils water, then when I install the induction cooktop.I won't need to install the Instahot(or similar) instant boiling water faucet, right?

Comments (10)

• User
    5 years ago

No one needs an instant hot dispenser. A microwave can boil water in 90 seconds. So can induction. Both with less energy loss than keeping a tank hot for the 23 hours and 50 minutes of the day that it isn’t used.

• 3katz4me
    5 years ago

I no longer have an instant hot water dispenser but had one in my previous kitchen. It did not produce boiling water - it produced very hot water. I liked having it and would have one again. It's handy for many things other starting with hotter water to boil. I never used it for large quantity boiling - just a cup or two in a glass cup the microwave. Granted it's not a necessity but I used mine to make an individual cup of pour over coffee - heat to boiling in microwave in seconds vs. minutes, instant hot chocolate (no microwave heating required), quickly cleaning stuff off utensils and dishes, etc. In my case I much preferred being able to heat a quick glass cup of hot water vs. using a pan on the cook top.

I think an instant hot water dispenser and an induction cook top serve two entirely different purposes. Whether or not you'd like to have an instant hot water dispenser depends on what you planned to do with it and how important that function is to you. If you were planning to use it to produce boiling water then I'd say skip it as they don't do that.

• waverly6
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you for your replies, Green designs and 3katz4me. I definitely appreciate all points of view.

I have one in my kitchen in my main house, have had it for 30 years in various kitchens and it gets used constantly through the day. I have really missed having one in my beach house and hate waiting for the electric kettle to boil.especially when almost boiling water is necessary in a hurry for a breathing treatment. The microwave heating up just isn't practical also when you are making a number of cups of tea. I don't need to it to be boiling as the hot enough is sufficient for us. I just didn't think it warranted the hassle of having an extra hole drilled into my extra hard corian counters as I knew I was going to replace the kitchen one day.

It is on my list of must haves for my new kitchen, but thinking about the speed of induction, maybe a kettle which would work with induction may be an adequate substitution?

• cpartist
    5 years ago

Induction boils in literally 90 seconds.

waverly6 thanked cpartist
  • PRO
    User
    5 years ago

I have a glass teapot that takes 4 minutes in my 1200 watt microwave for a whole pot of tea. For me, it’s about stripping down the kitchen to the appliances that can do double or triple duty. My microwave is a workhorse. The instant hot was not.

waverly6 thanked User
  • stir_fryi SE Mich
    5 years ago

I have induction but use an electric kettle from Costco everyday to boil water or iced tea. I love that thing!

• waverly6
    Original Author
    5 years ago

My electric kettle is slow. What brand is yours?

• scrappy25
    5 years ago

I have an induction cooktop, microwave, and an instant hot. The instant hot is a small luxury that I appreciate daily- making tea, cleaning pots and countertops (with a drop of Dawn), warming dishes and mugs, filling hot water bottles. Not a necessity but really nice to have! I also have an induction teakettle for my mom because she won't drink the water out of the instant hot.

• Kristin S
    5 years ago

I'm normally not a fan of the instant hot taps, particularly with an induction stove or a good electric kettle (man of which use induction technology). That said, you mention breathing treatments - depending on your health condition, what type of treatments you're talking about, and how often they occur, your situation may be one for which an instant hot tap is particularly useful. If you have a unique situation, think through what works for you.