Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisadforeman

Kitchen too small for 62" of fridge/freezer?

Lisa Foreman
5 years ago

We're trying to finalize our kitchen layout in our recently purchased forever home. It's a standard center hall colonial and we're knocking down the wall between the living/dining to move the kitchen to the back corner (where existing dining is), opening it up to living/new dining space (where kitchen was). The back wall will be 15'10" , the side wall 12'6", and there will be a 10'x4' island. We also have a standard sized pantry that we'll continue to use for food (but the kitchen is moving a little farther away from it so it will be for snacks and appliances, not food we'd use every day in the kitchen).

We're stuck on a fridge decision. Here are the questions we've got going through our heads:

- Will a standard width/standard depth fridge/freezer significantly compromise the aesthetic of the kitchen by sticking out? Will it compromise the functionality since the fridge will be opening into a walkway (4 ft walkway)?

- Would it be crazy (considering small cubic feet) to do a 36" counter depth fridge/freezer just to satisfy the needs mentioned above, given we have a child and plan to have 1-2 more? We will have an extra fridge/freezer that's about 20 steps from the kitchen for overflow, but I'm worried in everyday life, I'd regret not having enough space in my kitchen fridge/freezer since we often forget about the stuff in the garage.

- To avoid all of the above, and since we aren't willing to spend $8k on this appliance, we were looking into the Frigidaire Gallery side-by-side set. But, this also seems crazy - is our kitchen too small to give up that much cabinet storage space, again, almost purely for aesthetics? We aren't minimalists and tend to use all cabinet space we have in whatever kitchen we're in. Also, wouldn't not having an external ice maker drive us insane? ALSO, we're doing IKEA cabinets. Can Sektion even accommodate appropriate cabinets for above this set?

I'm attaching a rough, rough layout/design. Ignore microwave placement, that's still TBD. Any input is GREATLY appreciated!! THANK YOU!!

Comments (14)

• bunnyllg
    5 years ago
    I have seen this separate frig/freezer combo, but only in a huge kitchen with 2 10’ islands. I do believe your space is too small to accommodate this configuration.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

IMO an external ice maker is not nessessary I can’t see why you can’t do the fridgedaire side x side fridge / freezer on the wall with the pantry . Those fridges are counter depth and I have the old ones that were rated commercial I love them I put the new Electrolx ones in 2 fidfferent clients homes and they both love them I love those units in a wall with pantry A 24” pullout pantry the fi/ fr and 66” left to the corner no problem that I can see. BTW you lose very little storage in a counter depth fidge and I find that stuff does not get lost in the back of the fridge.

• artistsharonva
    5 years ago

Go for it. I have a stand up freezer & fridge in a small kitchen. I love it. I will never have less. It is a functuonal must for me. I cook a lot. I save a lot of $ buying in bulk & having that huge freezer.

• Kristin S
    5 years ago

Go through your kitchen and figure out where everything you have and plan to keep will go. Silverware, spatulas, colanders, foil...where will you put it all? Then you’ll know if you have room for the pair.

For what it’s worth, we’re doing the Electrolux version of the pair for our new build, and I can’t wait.

That said, I would want a slightly different layout. I’d want the sink under the window so the island is clear. Then I might think about swapping the fridge section with the range.

• artistsharonva
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Check the door swing clearance specs before buying cabinets. Especially for the 1 door stand up freezer fridge combos. The doors are usually wider and therefore need more space in front of for the doors to open plus a person in front of loading groceries. I have designed several kitchens for the Electrolux models. Definitely needed more than the normal clearance.

Look up the installation manual and confirm specs with designer and installer. Examples of illustrations to look for.

You will need at least 48". I think it is more. Depending on what fridge you get.

Example of the spacing needed between the island & big door fridge/freezer.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

This is an absurd amount of cooling in a kitchen of this size, unless you are so far from a grocery you need a helicopter : )

I'd get a 42 inch Sub Zero, and have it "forever" in my forever home.

• deb s
    5 years ago

You have allot of space dedicated to food storage with the fridges and pantry but it looks like very little space for kitchen essentials (everyday plates, china, pots, pans, mixers/toasters, plastic ware etc) Jan Moyer advice is spot on - a nice large fridge- use the extra space for two pantries (side by side) Do you have space in the garage or basement for cold storage overflow?

• artistsharonva
    5 years ago

Some people cook from scratch a lot & benefit from a large fridge & freezer at their fingertips. I am one of those. I save so much $ in food costs having a big freezer. I like having it in my kitchen to grab things from both as I cook. No more shuffling around in tiny freezer fridge combo.

My meals are fresh & healthy. My guests are amazed how fast I can prep our meals. It's a real time saver of convenience.

I use them everyday. I will never go back to a combined, fridge freezer appliance in my kitchen.

Separate is a must for me. Not everyone needs this,but some people do.

• Kristin S
    5 years ago

Let me just echo it’s really not too much, depending on how you cook. I also cook and freeze a fair amount. Beyond that, though, it will give me room to do things like store nuts and flours (or at least whole grain and nut flours) in the freezer, which preserves their useful life tremendously.

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago

It may not be too much storage, but there surely has to be a better design for your space that will allow them to integrate better. If this is a new build, your architect needs to be challenged to create a better plan that takes into account their bulk from the beginning. As well as the need for a pantry. The current plan is not optimal for either refrigeration or dry storage. It overwhelms the space. There has to be a way to rearrange some adjacent space to make it work better!

• Kathryn P
    5 years ago

Your initial post makes it sound like a standard fridge would work for your family, if not for the depth. Have you though about shifting everything on the left wall out by about 4-6 inches to give the illusion of the full size being counter depth? You'd lose that 4-6 inches of cabinet space on the range wall, but it would likely bring your sink closer to center on the window and also give you an extra deep counter below the microwave for coffee pot, etc. Your island would need to shrink a bit too.

• Kathryn P
    5 years ago

It'd be sort of like this, with the black spaces being dead space (in reality, 2x4s or whatever).

• artistsharonva
    5 years ago

Overall I think it's a good design with plenty of storage.

The things I would adjust are:

- make sure there's enough room between island & fridge to open & access comfortably

- move sink closer towards fridge while leaving enough room to pull things out of fridge onto island next to sink. At least get sink out of stove way,so someone can use sink while someone cooking

- consider no glass around stove due to steam & needing to clean more. Those cabinets will be great storage for items for cooking,instead of display.

Wishing you a beautiful,functional kitchen soon.;)