Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_259338

Floor Plan - Master Bedroom Closets

Priscilla B
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We're not happy with the size of the master bedroom closets that's on the floor plan of our new house we're building. It's been a challenge trying to redesign the space. The first closet is 6'2"x6'10" and the second one is 5'8"x6'2". We're hoping to expand the closets by 1 to 2 feet wide. Attached are the original and revised designs. Please let us know if you have any suggestions. Thanks for your time and feedback!

Comments (21)

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    5 years ago

You could easily expand both closets by moving the walls adjacent to the bedroom one foot into the bedroom. So your bedroom space would then be 14' x 15'-10". Losing a foot won't impact the bedroom living space much at all. It would mean shifting the windows a bit, too.

Priscilla B thanked Sabrina Alfin Interiors
  • K R
    5 years ago
    If it were me I’d cut into the storage space in the garage because those are some small closets for all my shoes haha. But you could easily cut into the bedroom as the other poster noted if you only want to add a foot.
    Priscilla B thanked K R
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    5 years ago

Can the footprint of the house be expanded to that side to allow another 1-2 feet?

Priscilla B thanked Anglophilia
  • just_janni
    5 years ago

I had similar set up in a prior home. Here was our difference:

Closets were NOT equal in size - the entry to the bathroom was OFFSET allowing one closet to be a double doored REACH IN in the hall (with about 8' of linear hanging space - also known as "his") and the closet across the hall was a larger WALK IN with 2X+ the amount of hanging space (also known as HERS)

In your case - shifting the hall "lower" in your drawing so you enter the bathroom where that stranded counter / cabinet is now would also this configuration.

It would also allow you to put your sinks back to the side by side configuration backing up to the larger HERS closet. Which, IMO, is a nicer look, opens up some floor space, is easier to decorate / light / get vanities for, etc and you are not having 2 people trying to occupy the same space in that corner configuration.

Priscilla B thanked just_janni
  • Priscilla B
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Sabrina,

We thought about that but the room is small as is and would hate to take away any space from there. We were thinking about taking from the garage storage space but we're not sure how to redesign the bathroom/closet areas. The builder has redesigned the area (2nd photo) but we're not happy with the option. We're not sure what else to do.

• Priscilla B
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Karen Rose,

Yeah, those closets are small....not enough room for my shoes either. :-) . We have considered going into the garage storage space but we're not happy with the option the builder came up (2nd photo).

• Priscilla B
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Anglophilia,

We did go that route but unfortunately it was quite expensive to extend the house/roofline out even by a foot. That's why we decided to try to modify the closet/bedroom/bathroom within the footprint of the house.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    5 years ago

Hi Priscilla:

Not sure what you're used to, but 14 x 16 (almost) is a pretty large space. Can easily support a King sized bed plus nightstands, and even a bench or small sofa at the foot of the bed. Your call, but that's how I would solve the problem. Going into the storage space would only make one closet bigger, not both.

Priscilla B thanked Sabrina Alfin Interiors
  • jpp221
    5 years ago
    What just_janni said.

People forget that in walk-in closets, the corners are lost. You can’t reach into whatever is there. So you have four (four!) corners, four dead zones. jj’s plan eliminates two of them. You’ll have more storage space. And that bathroom has a lot of wasted space that you don’t need (that orphaned counter and the two, very spread-apart sinks).

(I see the same thing with the junior bedrooms in this floor plan. The closets, once you remove the corners, because again they’re useless, are just not that big. A lot of wasted space.)

Walk-in closets are overrated unless they are very large. They are the jacuzzi tub of the 2010s.
    Priscilla B thanked jpp221
  • Priscilla B
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi just_janni,

That's a great idea about the closets placement. I understand what you are saying about the vanities but that would take away from the window that we're placing on that wall and also the shower that we wanted to place on the right corner. But it's definitely something to think about.

• Marci
    5 years ago

Just my opinion-- but I don't think it's worth it to go into the bedroom for one foot. It's not a particularly spacious bedroom. Also adding one foot in width gives you more "walk room" in the closet and your bang for the back along the back wall just isn't that great. I also hate to see you take all that storage out of the garage. I know how much we appreciate the extra room in there.

What if you made the closet between the bed and bath, "hers" and then divided the storage room in half and accessed it via the bathroom for 'his"? Does his need to be bigger? or just hers? Maybe you can play around with that idea? I think I'd also forgo the linen closet and "extra spot" in the bath. Maybe separate the vanities, making them both back up to the hers closet, and make that vanity on the shower end go with "his" closet?

Priscilla B thanked Marci
  • just_janni
    5 years ago

Priscilla - pardon the terrible photoshop (squint and it's easier on the eyes.. LOL) - but here's what I am thinking - I didn't move ANYTHING but the one vanity and there should be zero impacts with the shower or any planned windows.... (so maybe we were not talking the same thing!)

Priscilla B thanked just_janni
  • Priscilla B
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Just_Janni,

I get it! I think that's a great idea for the closets. I'd probably bump the second closet in to the garage to add some space. I agree with the one vanity with two sinks. We weren't crazy about the corner style vanities. Thanks for taking the time to provide a visual. It was very helpful.

• Priscilla B
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi partim,

Love what you did to the pantry and laundry room. This is another area we've been struggling with. My husband and I wanted to make them larger but don't have the space. This is a terrific idea by combining them. We never thought about that nor did our builder. We also like your suggestion about the closet and the additional window. Overall it looks great. Thanks for the revised layout. We can't wait to share these changes with our builder.

• partim
    5 years ago

Glad you like it! I think you have room for the laundry sink beside the dryer. In the bathroom, depending on what you like, you could just have one long counter with 2 sinks, or put a tower between them, or a vanity area with a chair. I don't see where your bathroom windows are but now you could put another one on the wall facing the back yard.

• lyfia
    5 years ago

How much more was it to extend the wall out along the right exterior? I think you'd appreciate having the width in the garage as well. Unless you only own one car or won't be parking in the garage.

Priscilla B thanked lyfia
  • partim
    5 years ago

I keep playing with your design!

In your new utility room, you could style it like a butler's pantry, with a counter. I've moved the door so it lines up with the window, which will let more light into what is otherwise a fairly dark interior hallway. You even have room for a double door there now, and/or you could use a French door with clear or frosted glass.

Priscilla B thanked partim
  • Priscilla B
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi partim,

I like the idea of the long vanity with the two sinks. In the second floor plan I attached in my original post it has the modified bathroom. You will see that we added several windows throughout the bathroom to bring in a lot of light.

I like your suggestion about the butler's pantry and moving the door so it lines up with the window. Instead of a French door we decided on a barn door with glass like the one in the below photo. I shared these changes with my builder and he liked as well. Thanks so much for your help!!

• Lori Wagerman_Walker
    5 years ago

Yep first thing I thought was "I'd combine the pantry & laundry!" Good job partim

• partim
    5 years ago

That's a great door! Glad that the suggestions worked for you.

Priscilla B thanked partim