Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

need a new salad recipe for Easter

3katz4me
5 years ago

I have to bring salad (again) for Easter dinner. There's so much food (and heavy food) that I kind of think salad is not necessary but I always get that assignment. I don't even remember what I brought last year. In any case I could use some inspiration for something new. I think it needs to be a very light green type salad (no grain type salad) for above mentioned reasons and I don't think it can be a fruit type salad because I think someone else brings a fruit bowl. I think I have brought various green salads with fruit in them like oranges, strawberries, that kind of thing. Host doesn't like goat cheese or anything that remotely resembles it though I could probably get away with feta - maybe. Any great ideas that come to mind?

Comments (18)

• Lukki Irish
    5 years ago

I just did a quick search on Pinterest for Easter Salad recipes and the page was brightly pretty with so many different kinds of salad. I know you’ll get a lot of good suggestions here, but you may want to take a peek on Pinterest too, if for no other reason than for some inspiration.

• LynnNM
    5 years ago

My favorite Spring salad is my Chicken Salad Supreme with green grapes, celery, mayo, sour cream, pecans, fresh parsley and ginger. It’s always a big hit and I never, ever have any leftovers. I bring a basket of croissants to go with it. That said, it’s not a green salad, sorry! But, it will be a staple at our big Easter gathering once again this year.

• User
    5 years ago

Psst...Lynn recipe please. :)

• Olychick
    5 years ago

I recently posted this on someone else's salad recipe request thread. It is so wonderful, light and different, as well as beautiful; I'd love to entice someone to try it! All the veggies are raw. I line them up on a serving platter and just toss them together right before serving so the beets don't color everything, as they will do when it sits. It still tastes great, but I like the contrasting colors. It has some orange and lemon juice, but no other fruit.

Fennel, beet and carrot salad.

If you can get away with Parmesan, this is also a fabulous raw salad and different:

Raw Asparagus Salad

• mtnrdredux_gw
    5 years ago

I think in the situation you describe, people are looking for a green leafy salad.

I make a baby spinach with matchstick apples, roasted pecan halves and maple vinaigrette, loosely based on this recipe. It is pretty and yummy.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/apple-dried-cherry-and-walnut-salad-with-maple-dressing-107064

If you want something more savory, maybe a Caesar with a nice crispy romaine and homemade croutons.

• LynnNM
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Shee, I’ll post the recipe tomorrow for you.

• mamapinky0
    5 years ago

A few leafy veggies topped with a few different shredded veggies an maybe a light dusting of fresh shaved off the cob corn for a light sweetness and added crunch. I'd leave off fruit, nuts, cheeses ect which in itself will make it lighter.

But Olychicks beet salad is to die for good.

• User
    5 years ago

I’m so excited about these salads. I need to branch out and these all sound wonderful!

Thanks Lynn!

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Mtn - the linked recipe you posted sounds like the kind of thing I'm thinking of. I saved that one. Olychick - I'm very intrigued by that beet salad and saved it to try for myself. People seem to love beets or hate them so I don't think I'll bring that on Easter though it's tempting to do so. Koolbeans - ya, I peruse pinterest but I've tried a lot of things that were bleh so looking for proven ideas from my trusted GW pals.

I think I made something with matchstick apples once and cutting them into matchsticks was a bit of a challenge. I suppose one needs a proper piece of equipment to do this efficiently. If I make it my apples will probably be in some shape short of matchstick.

• ccrunneroklahoma
    5 years ago

I’m taking a Weight Watchers salad to Easter dinner. I made it a couple years ago and was requested to bring it again.

Balsamic Asparagus and Cherry Tomato Salad

• 1 1/2 pound(s) uncooked asparagus (I used less and didn't measure and used some fresh green beans)
    • 1 cup(s) fresh cherry tomato(es), cut in half (I used grape tomatoes)
    • 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
    • 2 tsp unsweetened orange juice
    • 1/4 tsp minced garlic
    • 2 Tbsp shredded parmesan cheese, fresh, such as Parmigiano-Reggiano
    • 1/8 tsp table salt, or to taste
    • 1/8 tsp black pepper, or to taste

Snap tough ends off asparagus. I cut into 11/2 inch pieces. Cut green beans can also be used. Boil asparagus just until tender, about 3 minutes. Original recipe says 4-6 minutes.

Plunge asparagus into a large bowl of ice water to stop them from cooking or just rinse with cold water. drain and place on a serving platter. Sprinkle tomatoes over top.

In a cup, stir together vinegar, orange juice and garlic; season to taste. Spoon dressing over asparagus and tomatoes; toss, sprinkle with cheese and serve.

I used less veg but the whole dressing recipe.

• cawaps
    5 years ago

It's Easter so I'd probably do something with egg. A local restaurant used to do a salad with spring greens, soft boiled egg, avocado, and blue cheese, with I think a vinaigrette. They'd serve it with chicken, but it's perfectly delicious without.

• Olychick
    5 years ago

3katz, I agree about beets, but for some reason the raw version seems more acceptable to even beet haters (if you can get them to try a bite, lol).

• l pinkmountain
    5 years ago

I've made a marinated asparagus salad very similar to the one @ccrunneroklahoma posted. Great. Can leave out the cheese. I also make apple fennel slaw that is very fresh and light tasting. Just basically green apples, fennel, cabbage and maybe some scallions, with whatever slaw dressing you like, I do lemon, honey and vinegar or poppyseed dressing. Can add topping of sunflower seeds at the end before serving or not. Another great salad is to just do whatever raw veggies look best in the market, marinate in a red wine vinegar dressing a bit before serving on the bed of greens. That's called "chopped salad" and you can also add some basil and mozz cheese and call it "salad caprese."

• l pinkmountain
    5 years ago

I've made a marinated asparagus salad very similar to the one @ccrunneroklahoma posted. Great. Can leave out the cheese. I also make apple fennel slaw that is very fresh and light tasting. Just basically green apples, fennel, cabbage and maybe some scallions, with whatever slaw dressing you like, I do lemon, honey and vinegar or poppyseed dressing. Can add topping of sunflower seeds at the end before serving or not. Another great salad is to just do whatever raw veggies look best in the market, marinate in a red wine vinegar dressing a bit before serving on the bed of greens. That's called "chopped salad" and you can also add some basil and mozz cheese and call it "salad caprese."

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Reporting back on my Easter salad success!! I made Mtn's linked recipe above and it was a big hit. Made it as directed except I thought the dressing was too sweet so added a bit more vinegar until it was tangy enough to suit my taste and used pecans because I had a bunch of them. Everyone loved it and asked for the recipe. I think if I made it again I would try skipping the sugar and maybe use a little less oil but I will definitely make it again. Just what I was looking for.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    5 years ago

I'm glad you liked it 3Katz! I have probably been making versions of that for 15 years ... dressing mixed to taste, baby spinach, really any kind of fruit and any kind of nut... though my fave version is still with tart apples and roasted pecans. Happy Easter and Passover all!

• blfenton
    5 years ago

We're having Easter dinner next Friday as both kids took advantage of the long weekend and went out of town for the weekend. (They both used the ferry system - big mistake but....)

Anyway, this is the salad recipe I had planned on making

http://www.hotelmockingbirdhill.com/spinach-avocado-papaya-salad-with-zesty-orange-cumin-dressing/

but may change it up for mtn's recipe with the changes that 3katz4me made. I don't like walnuts but I make a spicy/sweet nut mix that I always have on hand that I may use instead. Now to look at the rest of the menu and see if it will work. I did print it off and it does look good.