Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blossom1

Drawers, which two or three

blossom1
5 years ago
Which of these walls should have the 3 drawer and which 2? Thanks!

Comments (15)

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

It really depends on YOUR storage needs.

• blossom1
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Tartanmeup......yes, but I guess as I have never had a kitchen with drawers, I am unfamiliar with the organization, what fits well in what size, etc. Just looking for others experience.
  • scrappy25
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

You are going to need a few shallow drawers for easy access to - flatware, cooking utensils, boxed wraps. They can be in a stack or be the top drawer of a stack. The top drawers work best IMO in the prep area. Under shallow top drawers, you can have two deep drawers (great for pots and pans) or any combination that adds up to the remaining height. The ultra deep 2 drawers as you have pictured are great for tall items- small kitchen electrics like instant pot, cuisinart, breadmaker, disassembled blender, etc. You probably would not want more than one set of those. The advice given above is spot on. We can't give more specific advice without seeing your layout. Think about making a dish, serving, and storing, and where you would want things in your kitchen to be.

• shead
    5 years ago

Post an entire layout. I think you'd need far fewer 2-drawer sets than 3 drawers (shallow top drawer, two deeper drawers underneath). The only thing 2 tall drawers would be good for, imho, is taller stock pots. However, most people don't have many of those. If you need storage for taller appliances, I'd consider doing a taller pantry cabinet about 18" wide for those items.

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

Without seeing the entire layout it's impossible to answer.

First, most bases have shallower top drawers, all the SAME height throughout the kitchen.. exception to the rule is if that's a separate area such as a built in hutch or pantry. I'm seeing a fridge which means that's part of your main kitchen... and no smaller matching top drawers. Only other exception is if you're kitchen is very, very unique. And yes, shallow drawers are desirable and useful.

Second, below the top drawers of all matching heights, whether or not you have 2 or 3 drawers depends on your needs - as has been mentioned. If you've not started, and I'm assuming you haven't, go through your current kitchen and your future kitchen layout, measure everything and make an organization map (where all items go, from foods to cooking utensils), which will help you decide the heights you need as well as locations. And no, drawers don't all need to match in height, unless that is very important to you.

• wilson853
    5 years ago

Here's an old thread about drawers that is very helpful.

everything-i-wanted-to-know-about-drawers

• artemis_ma
    5 years ago

For me, I had a need for four shallow top drawers (but not many people have an Asian implement top drawer or need one, either). In my case, the Asian and "other" top drawer, the regular silverware top drawer, the cooking spatula etc top drawer, and the odd implements (soup ladle, potato masher, meat thermometer and so forth) top drawer. The latter two are near the range/prep station,

Okay, I do have a fifth one - a planned "junk" top drawer. Pens, band-aids, labeling papers etc. (Some don't want one of these, and may just put their band-aids in a drawer near the range/knives). Oh, I have a knife block for those pesky knives!

So I see most having a stack of three, but it is good to reserve one-two drawer stacks for the stock pot, crock pot, This is assuming that your kitchen has the room for all of this. You can always fit out your pantry area for the stock pot/crock pot/other tall items accordingly.

In essence, it will all depend on how you like to use your kitchen, and the space you have available.

• artemis_ma
    5 years ago

I enjoyed figuring out where everything would go in the kitchen prior to its construction. GC didn't listen to all my plans, which were drawn out for him... But at any rate, I knew I wanted daily silverware near the DW, cooking implements near the range, where the coffee station would be and the coffee / tea / mug storage would be. Etc. I knew some places would be better for two stack drawers (away from the DW or range in my case - I don't use that stock pot all that often!) Some people like their plates in under counter drawers - not efficient for me at my height but this is where individual kitchen cabinet / drawer design comes in.

And as noted, not all drawers have to be the same height from run to run. Function first.

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

"I enjoyed figuring out where everything would go in the kitchen prior to its construction." Ha ha! artemis, I thought that'd be fun for me to! Boy was I wrong! I got so darned confused after a while! I had measurements and notes scattered all around me! I used empty boxes as examples for width and height - and those were scattered about as well. By the time I was done my head was spinning! But, I will say, I felt very satisfied and happy after, and excited to see if all would go where I wanted!

"this is where individual kitchen cabinet / drawer design comes in" and hopefully, the OP will understand this, it's about your own personal needs, not someone else's.

• User
    5 years ago

Not sure if this will be helpful to you, but does the cabinet line you've chosen offer hidden drawers?

If so, you might want to plan with that option in mind.

This thread really reminds me of one of the reasons why I love my Ikea cabinets: Continued flexibility.

I planned my kitchen for practicality and function but also wanted a streamlined design for our 60s modern house.

I like the look of 2 drawers best, which are also the most flexible when used with hidden drawers. That's what I did. Additionally, on some cabinets we used 3 shallow drawers instead of just one top drawer. This doesn't interrupt the continuing horizontal line between the bottom and top drawers anywhere, and makes for a clean uncluttered look.

While I wanted that streamlined minimalist kitchen, two tall drawers would have wasted a lot of space. So,inside, wherever practical, we added Ikea's hidden drawers.

So above my dish drawer is an inner drawer with all my cutlery. Above my pots and pans drawer I store their lids in an inner drawer. Above my baking pans and casseroles I store their covers. Etc. etc. Works very well indeed.

I have to admit, I was a bit worried when planning, about having to open two drawers to get to the cutlery. Would that irritate me, DH? Turns out I didn't need to worry. Just about always, when needing cutlery, we need to get a plate or cup anyway. So, no matter what, I would need to open two drawers.

• chispa
    5 years ago

I have 3-drawer and 4-drawer stacks. Don't think I would have use for 2-drawer stacks, unless I planned on using them as file drawers.

I also dislike the drawer within a drawer that Ikea uses. I have them in my garage, but would not want it in my kitchen for everyday use.

Also be aware that the drawer heights are different for different brands. So if someone here tells you they can fit x, y and z in their drawers, those things might not fit in your drawers.

• sushipup1
    5 years ago

I agree that I dislike the Ikea drawer within a drawer from Ikea. Like the pullouts are not the same as drawers, because of the extra added motion, same for the hidden drawers.

• Marci
    5 years ago

Just for your googling purposes they are often called "double action" drawers.

All of my drawer stacks have 3. A shallow top drawer with 2 deeper drawers below. I absolutely couldn't imagine not having the shallow drawers. Those are where I keep all tools (spatulas, tongs peelers, flatware, hotpads, dishtowels etc) . The pots and pan drawers under my cooktop hold most of my pots and pans, and my other drawers hold stuff like colanders, salad spinners and serving dishes. In a previous kitchen where I didn't have a separate pantry, the drawers had those oxo pop containers with flour, sugar, oatmeal, etc. I have less uppers, and those are strictly glasses and plates.

• wilson853
    5 years ago

If you want a chef's drawer for oils and vinegars a two-drawer stack works best as you will need the height to accommodate tall bottles. I added hidden drawers inside several of my taller drawers so that I could layer similar items behind one drawer front. Works especially well for paper products, linens and glass baking dishes. Seasonal napkins and plates reside over picnic ware, aprons over dish towels and Pyrex dishes over Corning Ware.